Jacket Theft @ Clickimin Sports Centre

Scarf

agreed. But the warning should be not to leave stuff alone. It is a shame but things have changed.

You are right. Times have changed. Am I the only person that still leaves their keys in the car in Lerwick?

If you leave your key in your car and it is nicked.

Your insurance is automatically invalid.

They wont pay you a thing.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really dissapointed to hear that one of our guests had a jacket stolen from the Clickimin Sports Centre today. He hung it up in the changing room to visit the toilet and when he came out it was gone. He maintains it was his own fault for leaving it for all of 2 minutes, but this is Shetland! Surely we are better than this up here?

If anyone hears of an expensive green waterproof jacket suddenly appearing then please get in touch.

I am hoping your joking. If it was nicked you would get nowt back. Having been brought up in a place that if it was not locked and secured it would not be there. It is sad that times have changed. But we can't make it easy for them. would you leave your keys in the car in say glasgow. I insist on having the house locked up tight before going to bed. even though we are pretty sure that we are very safe. but saying that a neighbour had their freezer raided last year so you don't have to be in town for thieves to be about.

Never lock the house either. Don't even know where the keys are. Went on holiday for a fortnight last year and left it open while we were away.

I suggest you have a look through a few editions of the shetland times. half of the theft stories are tied in with drugs. If you don't think addicts steal then your the one who is not being real. unlike yourself they have to fund their addiction.

It could well be kids messing about but it does not require a thief to be taking part in sports to get in there. the place is open and they will chance there luck.

I recieve the shetland times every week, albeit a few days after it comes out & it would be incredibly nieve for me to have the opinion that addicts do not commit petty theft on a daily basis to fund their own particular addictions. I'm fully aware of this fact & possibly a bit more informed, but on the other hand I know addicts in full time employment that pay the scum that supply them out of their own wages. It does appear that anytime a theft is committed that some automatically blame the island's addicts nowadays, which is as nieve as thinking that all these thefts aren't committed by them. It's the easy answer after all & requires little thought to blame a minority who aren't very likely to voice their opinions. Theft is morally wrong, I think that we both agree with that, it is in no way a recent issue. So why blame the first thing that comes to mind ? If at least 50% of these crimes are carried out by addicts then who is it that carries out the other 50% ? Could it just be the case that shetland has it's fair share of people with low moral values. I tend to think that is more likely as most kids messing about that get caught will probably just get a stern caution from the police, enough to ensure that they see the error of their ways & will not want to try it again.

Did the poor fellow with the green jacket have his wallet stolen at the same time ? I can't imagine any dealer accepting a quite unfashionable wax jacket in exchange for drugs, a wallet with £10, enough to buy the thief their drugs maybe. But not a wax jacket, not in the real world that I inhabit. Dealers may accept an item of value that can be sold on for a profit, mostly mobile phones, laptops & other electronic items of value but I find it hard to believe that anybody desperate enough to go to a leisure centre would show any interest in a jacket, they're more likely to give the pockets a quick check for cash or a mobile than steal a bulky jacket that will be very little use to them.

Have the plods charged anybody with the Goudie's incident yet ? I seem to remember that it to was also blamed on addicts. As most crimes appear to be in shetland now. Anybody would think that there was no crime in shetland at all until people were given the opportunity to air their views on this forum.

To be honest, I do not know anyone who has not taken something or deprived someone or a business of property, services or electricity theft.

If you can say you have NEVER taken anything that does not belong to you without express permission then I would say that you may be mistaken.

I think it seems a bit high handed as well that as soon as anything goes missing it is a drug addict of some description. I remember a propeller.

The way folk are being brought up and the way they now disrespect everything is really to blame. WE have all had a hand in that as well. Directly or indirectly.

I hope it was a case of mistaken identity, but now, if the person who made that mistake is publicly called or accused of being an addict, you may have blown your chances.

Guest SJP17

It could have been anyone , unless the person is caught and publicly named we will never know , we have many different people here than we did before , EU workers ? Mainland Contactors ? it may even have been a member of staff ? Or a Local ?

The Shetland population has changed a lot and is currently in transition so who knows ?

We need Hercule Poirot on the case :)

why would you not lock your car? or even house??

i lock my car when going for into pay for petrol! my mate had his car nicked in fife while paying for fuel and he had hes keys but left car unlocked!

mabye cos i have spent 5yrs driving south its just habit but you never know and id rather they took you car than mine!

all insurance is void if resonable security measures are not taken!

why would you not lock your car? or even house??

i lock my car when going for into pay for petrol! my mate had his car nicked in fife while paying for fuel and he had hes keys but left car unlocked!

mabye cos i have spent 5yrs driving south its just habit but you never know and id rather they took you car than mine!

all insurance is void if resonable security measures are not taken!

Well, I have been leaving it unlocked since the 1980s. (Although it is not still the same car...) Maybe I am too trusting, but nobody has stolen it yet. I think you can get too paranoid about security, if somebody wants something and the car is locked they can easily smash the window anyway.

To be honest, I do not know anyone who has not taken something or deprived someone or a business of property, services or electricity theft.

I know a visitor turned the lights on when he went for a pee and he had the audacity to flush afterwards, he didn't even say he was going to the toilet the swine.

If you can say you have NEVER taken anything that does not belong to you without express permission then I would say that you may be mistaken.

I confess I took a mini sausage roll off a platter for a party at my local pub in 2001 but I wasn't invited to it, clap me in irons and send me to Craiginches.

I think it seems a bit high handed as well that as soon as anything goes missing it is a drug addict of some description. I remember a propeller.

I remember a rudder.

The way folk are being brought up and the way they now disrespect everything is really to blame. WE have all had a hand in that as well. Directly or indirectly.

How have I had a hand in that do tell, or are we back on the sweeping generalisations?. I must be one of the indirect ones.

I hope it was a case of mistaken identity, but now, if the person who made that mistake is publicly called or accused of being an addict, you may have blown your chances.

It's not a mistake stealing someone elses jacket, you either own something or you don't (apart from the aforementioned mini sausage roll I will report to Queen Street nick post haste to receive my punishment). Milli Vanilli, Chillli, Willy. I like lamp.

I am amazed that this topic can turn so quickly. Not one person seems to have considered the fact that somebody may have picked it up by accident mistaking it for their own.

Is it possible that a similar green jacket may still be hanging there yet?

I do apologise, after reading the entire thread again this morning I see that it was just described as a " green jacket ". I wrongly assumed that it was one of those green wax jackets as they are quite expensive & therefore maybe worth a few quid to farmers, fly fishermen & the like. I to own a green jacket (not newly accquired, may I add ). It was purchased from the local Primark store at the knock down price of £15. So I wouldn't be to bothered if it was stolen, unless my pockets were stuffed full of hard cash which is highly unlikely.

I only posted on this particular thread when I saw another post made by someone who appears to think that every incidence of theft is carried out by some down on their luck individual who needed to fund their particular addiction, whatever the substance is that they crave.

It escalated from there & I felt I should reply out of common courtesy.

I do still wonder if the poor jacketless chap had left his wallet in his jacket as hard bucks would be more suitable currency for the thief, which leaves me wondering why the wallet wasn't just stolen rather than a bulky jacket.

My mistake & you have my upmost apologies.

I'm sure the thief will be caught given the CCTV footage once it has been analysed by the police. It shouldn't be that hard to track the victim into the changing rooms & see who entered behind him then left before him.

Whoever the thief was addict or not, I was only pointing out the fact that theft is carried out by all sorts of people.

I would hope someone bothers to check the place when they shut at night for lost property but yeah it is entirely possible that there is a similar green jacket hanging up there right now. I just hope nobody nicks it :lol:

I would hope someone bothers to check the place when they shut at night for lost property but yeah it is entirely possible that there is a similar green jacket hanging up there right now. I just hope nobody nicks it :lol:

Or there may be a Red Jacket hanging around, if colour-blindness was an issue? :)