Food delivery

We are hoping to move to Shetland in the near future. I have a disabled wife and although we haven't looked for a house as yet, I am looking to get a few things in place if anyone could help. As my wife cannot get out without help and cannot drive -

1. Does any shop/ Supermarket in Lerwick or in any other part (within 15 miles of Lerwick) deliver food, if so any charge ?

2. Is there any clubs/social gatherings for disabled people in the area ?

also

1. Not had any dealings with wooden houses before? any problems to look out for and how long do they last

Thanks for your help :?:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Tesco in Lerwick do have a van for deliveries but I'm not sure if they actually use it very much. Some country shops may still do deliveries and hopefully someone else will be able to advise.

2. Disability Shetland do clubs for the disabled

http://shetland-communities.org.uk/subsites/disability-shetland

3. I have lived in a wooden house for over 20 years. Apart from painting the outside a few times I've had no bother.

1. Not had any dealings with wooden houses before? any problems to look out for and how long do they last

Thanks for your help :?:

Not sure about the rest but wooden houses can give you a few issues. Many of the big high street lenders are not great at providing mortgages on wooden houses. I know Nationwide and RBS don't. So it can take a bit more looking to find the mortgage. As for construction I can't see any issues as ,LNG as you accept they need regular painting.

There is an informal support group for people living with any long term health condition meets twice a month in Lerwick on the 1st & 3rd Saturdays of every month between 2-4.

Disability Shetland website:

http://www.shetlandcommunities.org/subsites/disability-shetland

E-mail Sarah or Malcolm for advice & information.

Shetland Community Directory:

http://www.communitydirectory.shetland.gov.uk/support-groups-c151.html

There are some condition-specific support groups listed eg Arthritis Care, Stroke Club, MS Society.

Quite a few local shops will deliver groceries in rural areas.

WRVS have volunteer drivers who could take people shopping, or do shopping for you- they may charge costs but I am not sure?

shetland.admin@wrvs.org.uk

Best of luck finding a house!

Many of the big high street lenders are not great at providing mortgages on wooden houses. I know Nationwide and RBS don't.

Ermm... RBS actually *DO* lend for wooden houses. I know someone who got an RBS mortgage in the last 3 months for a purely wooden house in Shetland.

I don't know about any of the other lenders, but I suspect they are coming round, given that there are so many wooden houses being built nowadays. Wood is ecologically sound (a renewable resource) and offers significant innsulation benefits, so the further north you get in the UK the more are being built.

Many of the big high street lenders are not great at providing mortgages on wooden houses. I know Nationwide and RBS don't.

Ermm... RBS actually *DO* lend for wooden houses. I know someone who got an RBS mortgage in the last 3 months for a purely wooden house in Shetland.

I don't know about any of the other lenders, but I suspect they are coming round, given that there are so many wooden houses being built nowadays. Wood is ecologically sound (a renewable resource) and offers significant innsulation benefits, so the further north you get in the UK the more are being built.

Well in the last two weeks both Nationwide and RBS have both told me they DO NOT do mortgages on wooden houses so perhaps the rules have changed. The woman at RBS was surprised so perhaps it is new but if anything lenders are getting worse at providing mortgages on wooden houses and not better. I know I have just spent a long painful two weeks trying to find out who will lend on them and let me tell you it is not a very long list.

Seeing as my experience is more recent that yours perhaps the rules have changed but as it stands and right now RBS do not do them.

If you're keen on using RBS for a mortgage on a wooden house it would be worth double checking whether or not they will do you one - my mortgage for a wooden house is with them - no problems with getting the mortgage but they couldn't insure it.

As you say though, things could have recently changed. Maybe they have stopped doing them.

The only reason that I would be sceptical about this is that although in general the staff at the RBS branch in Lerwick are enormously helpful, there is one mortgage advisor who I don't think knows his ar*e from his elbow.

If you're keen on using RBS for a mortgage on a wooden house it would be worth double checking whether or not they will do you one - my mortgage for a wooden house is with them - no problems with getting the mortgage but they couldn't insure it.

As you say though, things could have recently changed. Maybe they have stopped doing them.

The only reason that I would be sceptical about this is that although in general the staff at the RBS branch in Lerwick are enormously helpful, there is one mortgage advisor who I don't think knows his ar*e from his elbow.

The branch were very helpful it was the head office that said no. The guy on the phone asked why I was changing mortgage providers. I said because you timber houses. He said not now we don't. End of discussion. I t was very clear and the advisor checked on their internal website where it clearly said they do not do timber houses. I did not give up on one persons say so. I saw the words on their rules for myself as the advisor had to check because she was sure they did do timber houses. Who knows maybe the whole decking world was against me in the last two weeks but I am telling you RBS told me they do not do timber houses. I heard it from two folk one in the branch and one at head office and I saw the words in their lending rules for myself.

In summary some folk in the past have got a mortgage with RBS on timber houses but a week past on Thursday they did not and it was clearly written as such. Is everyone happy with this?

Hi owlsaway, I'd just like to give you a little forewarning that Shetland is about to change markedly with the proposed SIC cuts that are looming.

It has been reported that it will equate to one quarter of the existing SIC so many exisiting services will either no longer exist, or be severely reduced. Whatever your reasons for loving and moving to Shetland, the Shetland you've seen will not be the same place in a year or two.

In relation to the timber house issue, there are no problems at all with them - infact hundreds have been built in the last few years.

Hi owlsaway, I'd just like to give you a little forewarning that Shetland is about to change markedly with the proposed SIC cuts that are looming.

It has been reported that it will equate to one quarter of the existing SIC so many exisiting services will either no longer exist, or be severely reduced. Whatever your reasons for loving and moving to Shetland, the Shetland you've seen will not be the same place in a year or two.

In relation to the timber house issue, there are no problems at all with them - infact hundreds have been built in the last few years.

I never said there were issues with owning a timber house. Just that there are issues in getting a mortgage for them.

http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!BmoMujgBmk~$(KGrHqIH-DwEtrgn3wd)BLgVh7nGHQ~~_35.JPG

There a council cuts everywhere, they could stay where they are and end up with the same level of service.

very naughty. do you feel your helping shetland with your positive view. whatever the cuts up here they will not be as bad as south.

Nothing naughty about it - I'm simply telling the truth. I don't like seeing people told, especially via this forum, that Shetland is the land of milk and honey when it's not!.

I don't know, but perhaps owslaway were hoping to use some of the existing services in Shetland so I thought it only fair to warn of the impending cuts. Either way, it's only fair to give people the full picture.

JohanofNess, you really, really need to chill a little more.....