Food delivery

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing naughty about it - I'm simply telling the truth. I don't like seeing people told, especially via this forum, that Shetland is the land of milk and honey when it's not!.

I don't know, but perhaps owslaway were hoping to use some of the existing services in Shetland so I thought it only fair to warn of the impending cuts. Either way, it's only fair to give people the full picture.

JohanofNess, you really, really need to chill a little more.....

To be honest I think it is you who needs to chill a bit. Council services are only one small bit of what makes a place and not necessarily the reason they are coming here. They might be mad keen on puffins :D

Yes cuts are coming and they will bite but that is the same across the UK. The difference is that here in Shetland they are starting from a much higher standard. So to natives they might feel like they are losing a lot but for incomers (like me) it will be a bit more like the service is resorting to what they are used to.

It has been reported that it will equate to one quarter of the existing SIC so many exisiting services will either no longer exist, or be severely reduced.
Where was that? The % cuts I've seen mentioned would translate to a reduction in full time equivalent posts of about 1/7th if spread evenly.

mmm

where I'm from lets see.

i have English, Scottish and Danish blood in me in various amounts.

I can trace my family back to the Wessex kings, the early Scottish kings, the Danish kings and a load of others. now tell me were is home.

maybe you should be happy with what you have instead of moaning about how bad we are compared to Norway.

Maybe if you lived in Norway you may find life not as perfect as you think. If you looked at what was good about Shetland you may find out why we chose to live here (a positive vote for Shetland as we were looking at Guernsey/jersey and the isle of man were we have the right to reside due to the wife's mum being born there)

Now if we wanted we could move away but we chose not to why because we believe that Shetland is special even with the bad winters.

even if the cuts are as bad as they are claimed to be Shetland will survive It has coped with everything else the world has thrown at it and it still will. Why because the locals were tough and brave and put up with change. If they had run at the first bit of hard times then this island group would have never been occupied

Thanks for the replies all

Cuts are happening everywhere at the moment, you have to look at all the other benefits, especially the ones that are free. The wildlife in Shetland is superb throughout the year, there is great scenery and for me as a photographer plenty of opportunities.

Yes the weather can be bad in winter but what about the warmth of the community ? another plus is living close to the sea, we are 70 miles away at the moment.

Even with cheaper fuel in England you don't get the benefits living in a large city, with traffic jams everywhere (sometime 45 mins to go 5 miles) , the fuel gage drops quickly and you are spending lots of quality time sat in the car.

As for work down here you are normally up against around 200+ applicants for each job, at any level so I am sure the odds are better in Shetland.

I am sure I can think of many more benefits, what about you ?

Well, it is in all honesty that I mention the coming cuts because in some people's frantic efforts to attract people here it's watered down.

If I'm honest, I'm also tired of every Tom, Dick and Harry decending on Shetland in their quest for a "better life". Your odds for getting a job may be better here but at the same time that's one more person that a local born and bred person will be up against. It cuts both ways.....

I'm not against people moving to Shetland - we need doctors, nurses, dental workers etc but what I feel is that Shetland has become a free-for-all with and endless stream of people looking to move here.

One of the benefits I once felt was that Shetland was my home. Now, I feel like a stranger in my own home because I'm often surrounded and outnumbered by English, Scottish and East European voices.....

We have seen you in your real light. China Owl.

It is a shame you have this attitude as it the multitude of migrants that have made Shetland a great place, should we to put a ban on non Shetlanders fornicating with Shetlanders??

Shetland folk are not a race apart, they are one of the many diverse cultures here in the UK.

Well said owlsaway. Shetland is a most fantastic place to move too. Not only is it a feast for your eyes, you may live for more years due to the lack of pollution and stress.

Many folk who have come to the islands have written profusely about their experience, many encourage visitors, even if it is family.

You have made a wise choice, may your God let you enjoy it for many years.

:shock:

Have I made a I mistake here?

I am moving my family up here soon, relax I already have a job, but is this resentment of incomers common?

I thought Shetland was a lovely place to bring up a family but have I just doomed my family to being treated as some sort of inconvenience?

:shock:

Have I made a I mistake here?

I am moving my family up here soon, relax I already have a job, but is this resentment of incomers common?

I thought Shetland was a lovely place to bring up a family but have I just doomed my family to being treated as some sort of inconvenience?

Don't worry - it's still a wonderful place to bring up a family.

Initially, folks here can be a bit reserved, but as you get to know them, they open up.

Apart from the inevitable, small minded minority, (which you'll get anywhere) it's a very friendly place.

It's also always been a very cosmopolitan community - trading links with all over, and the inevitable consequences of that......

Come up here, integrate into the community, and have a blast.........

Jim