Deportation of Sakchai Makao (Mark II) - ** News Thread **

trout

Muppet your letter and angle to Jack McC is terrific - well done. We will hopefuly be hearing a bit more high profile Scottish Executive angles over the next few days - watch this space!!!!

Polarbear -we need to talk. Your thoughts, observations and ideas are excellent, obviously very well informed and could be crucial to us if you are willing to help out.

Give me a call on 07867-654509 when you get a chance. My e-mail is davie.gardner@btinternet.com

Just for information, my son has just counted the singnatures on the LERWICK returned petitions only and we are now over the 4000 mark on those alone - this is utterly astonising!!!! - around 20% of the total population of Shetland from da toon alone, and we still have the country ones and those outside Shetland to count.

I suggest that we probably have to count the e petition and hard copies as two seperate ones as there are bound to be duplications but its still quite incredible. Bryan etc - let me know your thoughts on this.

We've received almost 300 e-letters of support as well to nodeportationfromshetland@yahoo.co.uk so keep them coming and we will keep forwarding them to the appropriate individuals.

We are astonished and grateful and the size and quality of the campaign simply continues to exceed all expectations - thank you all so much.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest that we probably have to count the e petition and hard copies as two seperate ones as there are bound to be duplications but its still quite incredible. Bryan etc - let me know your thoughts on this.

There may well potentially be duplications between the hardcopy and ePetition ... we can supply an electronic copy in a suitable format if someone would wish to winkle through both copies?

The alternative is, as you suggest, to consider each petition in its own right?

We regret to inform you that we were attacked by a malicious source which tried to flood our forum database. This resulted in a corruption of data, meaning we had to revert to our back-up to enable the forums to stay online. The upshot is that some of Sundays posts have been lost (although we are working to retrieve as many as we can). This is obviously infuriating for everybody.

The ePetition has not been affected, just the forum

Click here for more details

There was important information in some of these posts, chiefly Chris Jamieson's details of the Edinburgh Protest. Would you please post this info again as it is time critical

"Shetland for Sakchai" campaign update - Saturday 10th Jun 2006 ( 21:08 )

Hello everybody

Just to let you know that Utai, her mum, Brandon (Utail’s son) and Andrew Bennett were able to visit Sakchai for around half an hour this morning. Time was limited due to an admin mix up.

James Johnston had around two hours with him this afternoon which was restricted to matters in hand and niceties.

Sakchai is ok in himself but very confused as to what is actually happening – not surprisingly. He is upbeat though and overwhelmed with the support and publicity his case is attracting from all quarters.

He is being well treated well enough, but says the food is not all it could be.

The reason he has not been in touch directly is that he has / had no money. This has now been rectified and he will hopefully be back in touch with us by Monday at the latest. Whether he will be able to speak openly about his ordeal is not known at this time. It seems very unlikely he will be able to speak directly to the press. It would probably be best to aim all your queries either at his lawyer or Alistair Carmichael MP. I’m afraid there is little more that I can tell you in this respect.

A few facts are emerging about his seizure and transportation. It’s pretty much as previously described. Following the initial raid he was held in the cells in Lerwick until transported from Shetland on the 14.00 flight to Aberdeen. From there it was just a confused whirl for him until he arrived in Govan police station. He was forced to go for around 12 hours without any food during his transportation and settling in period although he says he was treated well by the authorities.

On arrival at Durham they asked him why he was there and were I suspect a bit surprised when he said he had no idea.

Anyway in all honesty that’s about it. I think you know the rest.

The legal and political process will I suppose inevitably slow down for the remainder of the weekend and then we will see what happens Monday / Tuesday.

We expect the support rally to be held in Lerwick on Tuesday night to be very well attended and will consider further strategic action in support of Sakchai at that time.

Thanks again to you all

Davie Gardner

Shetland for Sakchai

This is utterly disgraceful news Brian but perhaps not unexpected.

The Shetland for Sakchai rally in Edinburgh will now be held from 11am outside the Scottish Parliament building. Hopefully Chris will be back in touch today re the details.

The time has been changed in order to lobby as many MSP's as possible throughout the day if they can.

We also hope to have some kind of tie in between Shetland and Edinburgh at 7pm at the same time as the Shetland rally if we can.

As the Saga of Sakchai was lost in yesterday's 'attack' I have posted this on this site again on a seperate thread on the Shetland News site. Please cut and paste this to anyone you think might be able to help or simply might be interested in helping, especially musicians, actors.....well simply anyone you think has a heart to be honest.

Will be back in touch again in the meantime thanks again for all the incredibly hard work on Satch's behalf.

Is there any way you could get any of the World cup commentators to mention his predicament? more people will probably be watching that than the news.

Probably a non starter, but might be worth an attempt. They have been going on about it being a global game for the first seven matches. A sport where everyone is welcome etc.

Hia,

There is to be a peaceful demonstration for Sakchai outside the Scottish Parliment in Edinburgh on Tuesday starting from 11AM and continuing throughout the day. The aim of the demonstration is to raise awareness for the injustice being done to Sakchai amongst MSPs and mirror some of the public support in Shetland down here in Edinburgh.

If you would like to attend or can help out in anyway please contact me, Chris Jamieson at chrisjam82@gmail.com. Also if you know anyone else who would be interested please forward this message on.

We are looking to distribute flyers at the demonstration but I'm pressed for time to design these. If there is anyone with that could come up with a flyer with some breif details of Sakchai's plight, with a picture of Satch, maybe some quotes from Shetlanders about how much Sakcahi means to them and the details of the petition and campaign email address it would be a great help to the protest. Something like the poster but in flyer form would be fantastic (whoever made the poster, could you do this?).

Well done a'body and keep up the excellent work!

Cheers,

Chris.

hia,

I have a petition form I wanted to post or fax up before Tuesday but can't seem to find the address to post or fax them up to -please can someone let me know where to send them?

Gutted, re the attack last night! that is absolutely shocking.

Han

We've managed to get most of the posts back from a Shetlink user's own archive, so cheers Michael, you're a lifesaver!

I'll post them 5 at at time below

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:48 pm
One thing I would like to flag up in this respect.

I hope that at no time during this debate that we have tried to play down, ignore or seek to condone in any way the one crime that Sakchai was sentenced for. None of us, including Sakchai and his family, wish this to be the case....

....I post this just in case the members of our local emergency services think that we have forgotten their involvment, role or partucularly their feelings in this particular case.

Davie Gardner

'Shetland for Sakchai'

well done davie for actualy answering this question - the people i have talked to who have not signed to the project has brought this point up.

He did do somthing wrong and as with all ilegal alians he now pays harder than the original sentence he did his time for. Mind you, if it was my property he burnt down i might have a difrent aproch.

still, hope he gets off and is home soon

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:09 pm
Muppet your letter and angle to Jack McC is terrific - well done.

Glad to be of what help I can.

I post this just in case the members of our local emergency services think that we have forgotten their involvment, role or partucularly their feelings in this particular case.

I did spend a sizeable part of my life with the emergency services, and while I could not condone what happened, he at least has shown remorse for past mistakes and learnt from them. Something which the Home Office patently seems incapable of! Maybe they could learn a thing or two from his example.

He did do somthing wrong and as with all ilegal alians he now pays harder than the original sentence he did his time for.

Sakchai is NOT an illegal alien. As far as I understand it he has a valid visa and has every right to be in this country. It's just that because he is a foreign national who did do something wrong, he has become an easy target for the Home Office to be able to stand up in Parliament next week and announce how many deportations they have carried out. Didnt we do well!!! (NOT)

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:43 pm

4000 Hard copies WOW...that is amazing so far. Just from the town is crazy too. Well done to everyone.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:45 pm

Hi again a' body

Just spoken to both Utai and James who have both been allowed to see Sakchai at different times today.

He is well enough in himself, and although still very confused as to what is actually happening to him, is quite upbeat and overwhelmed with what's being done for him and the level of support and publicity that he is getting. He was also worried that "the boys" were doing too much work on his behalf and not getting on with their work at the pool. James kept him right on that.

A few more facts are emerging about what happened to him following his 'seizure. He was held for a time in the Lerwick cells before being transferred to the mainland, but was treated ok by the immigration officials and police - well you would hope so.

After that it was all just a whirl for him I expect, the worst issue being that he had no food for around 12 hours, until he was finally settled in Govan police station - totally disgraceful!!!!!

On arrival at Durham he was asked why he was there and had to say he didnt know which I think had confused them a bit. From there you know the rest.

His cell mate is OK but on drug withdrawl which is a bit disruptive as you can imagine, but as usual Satch is coping OK. He has a TV in his cell so he's able to follow the World Cup. Thankfully James meeting today made him miss the England game.

The reason he has not been phoning is that he has / had no money but that has now been sorted and as of Monday that should not be a problem any longer.

In all honesty that's about it. The meetings were very basic and limited to the situation in hand and 'niceties'. I think James and especially Utai were both a bit shocked and taken aback by the reality of the prison life and the security that surrounds it. God knows what Satch must be thinking - I know I try to put that issue to the back of my mind.

Utai and her mother will be with us for the support rally on Tuesday but please bear in mind the level of trauma that they are going thorugh and lets be as kind and supportive to them as we can, without being too overpowering. I know I dont have to tell you this.

Can I also say how much we appreciate all the extra support effort we are getting from you. I know this might be taken the wrong way but we are facing a battle with a very powerful giant and we have to make sure we do everything by the book and do it right.

We have all found ourselves literally thrown into this situation and are learning by the day and often having to fly by the seat of our pants. What is important is that we get and do things right at all times and do nothing to affect the credibility of the campaign to date, or worse still damage Satch's case. Keep up, indeed lets increase the pressure, but lets do everything by the book and as Polarbear says lets safe the 'spleen venting' till later.

We are now entering a very crucial stage of the process, which might be long and drawn out, although we certainly hope not. As such I will be taking increasing aadvice both from Satch legal team and Alistair Carmichael as to what we should and should not do and likewise say or not say - officially at least.

We must make sure that anythng we do locally dovetails with the legal and political efforts and we dont do anything that might be counterproductive or, as I say, damged (however slightly) the credibility of the campaign to date, or Satch's case, however well meaning the plans or intentions are.

Until we can get a better local management infrastructure in place (hopefully following the rally on Tuesday) can I request that you first post any ideas you have on this website or phone / e-mail them to me before you rush off and put them into effect. I will then discuss them with Alistair etc to make sure they continue to add strength to the campaign and not compromise anything that they are doing on Satch behalf. That way we can offer advice and support, avoid duplication of effort and make sure what we are collectively doing only adds postiively and strategically to the great campaign so far.

By all means keep up the posting and e-mailing etc etc but if you are planning anything 'physical' i.e. protests, marches more petitions etc please please let us know before you put ANYTHING into effect or publicise anything. We are by no means trying to create a monopoly in this respect it just makes for common sense and a strategically managed and more effective and credible campaign.

I know this all sounds a bit pompous and serious but this is a deadly serious affair operating at the higest possible level and the stakes are unimaginably high, that's the truth of it. We are not trying to spring somebody from the cells in Market Street for a petty offence I'm afraid - I only wish we were.

Well thats about it really. Thanks again for another momentous day's efforts folks and keep up the great effort and work on Satch behalf.

Will keep you posted - cheers Shetlink.......

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:45 pm

I put together a more comprehensive list of "Shetland for SakChai" & MP contacts over in the Deportation of Sakchai Makao - ePetition & info section. If anyone has any other relevant contact details please post them in this thread or email them to admin@shetlink.com and I'll update the list

More rescued posts

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:28 pm

I'm so glad he was allowed to see his sister and mum. Also, 4000 from lerwick alone is amazing! I don't see how it is possible for the government to keep ignoring this, though they keep surprising me with their cold-heartedness. THank you so much Davie, Alistair and everyone who's helping Sakchai, you're all so great.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:53 pm
I know this all sounds a bit pompous and serious but this is a deadly serious affair operating at the higest possible level and the stakes are unimaginably high, that's the truth of it. We are not trying to spring somebody from the cells in Market Street for a petty offence I'm afraid - I only wish we were.

Davie, anyone who DOES think that needs to give their head a shake.

It's surely clear that you and the rest of the team doing their utmost to get him home and any treading on some peoples' sensitivities will be worth it if we do see him back here....where he belongs.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:25 pm

Wher'es Unison wi a dis ? He surely must be in a union if he's at the pool. Even if he's no a member they must have an opinion, and I have not been aware of a squeek from their corner so far. This must be ARCHIVED as a public expression of popular support and goodwill to a fellow Shetlander. This is an historic event, unseen before in our island history.

I trust there will be at least a message of support for Sakchai at the meeting, if not a speech in support.

I am very impressed with the efforts of Davie, Alistair and the rest of the team who have organized this canpaign. What a great job you are doing.

Sakchai is a good friend of mine and I feel helpless that the only thing I can do is sign a petition or send a few emails. But I supose every little helps.

It's good to see that Sakchai is in good hands, I have every faith that you will return Sakchai to Shetland.

And what of the Shetland people "Amazing" to see them rally in support of one of thier own. Davie I don't think the Clickimin Bowls Hall is going to be big enough. ( Well I hope not )

Keep up the good work

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:09 am
Wher'es Unison wi a dis ? ... I have not been aware of a squeek from their corner so far.

As the chair of Unison, I have been squeaking. Can I offer Heimdal an application form?

Note this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2090-2220698.html

It may be symptomatic of the kind of press treatment we might expect.

I don't suppose there's any indication that the attack on this site had anything at all to do with Sakchai's plight? Or did it? Is there any way of knowing where it originated? Is this just something that happens in cyberspace from time to time?

More rescued posts

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:59 am

Davie, anyone who DOES think that needs to give their head a shake.

It's surely clear that you and the rest of the team doing their utmost to get him home and any treading on some peoples' sensitivities will be worth it if we do see him back here....where he belongs.

I'm glad about that. It would be criminal (starting to hate that word now) of me to ask anyone who is working so hard as part of the campaign not to entirely do their own thing, but we are now at a very crucial stage of what will probably be only the 'first phase' of this very complex case.

The campaign and EVERYONE involved in it to date have been utterly amazing, and we have all been left staggered, amazed and extremely proud of you all and Shetland as a community. But now the whole issue is reaching a very crucial stage, unlike the confused and erratic one we experienced earlier this week.

Unlike earlier, the legal efforts, and of course the onoing political elements and aspects, are now a lot clearer and focused and we have to respect this and do everything we can to now support this approach and ensure we do nothing to damage or undermine either Satch's case or the credibility of what's been an amazing campaign to date.

Earlier this week we all found ourselves literally thrown into this situation and there has not been much time to take things from a more 'democratic' point of view. This may well alter after the rally on Tuesday night of course.

I most certainly do not want this to look like a 'control' matter on our part but we feel that the whole campaign will benefit enormously if we take a more strategic and integrated approach, take the general steer from our legal and political representatives and simply communicate everything we are doing, or planning to do. This is especially critical regarding 'physical' support such as for instance planning marches or protests, sticking up posters, further petitions, fund raising issues etc.

Quite simply, at present we are probably in the best local position to know what's actually happening at any time, in what's occasionally at least a very fast moving and rapidly changing situation. At other times snails pace would not be an inaccurate observation.

This approach will hopefully ensure that whatever we do clearly and strategically supports the legal and political efforts and does not undermine them in even in slightest fashion.

It will also help us to effectively pool our current resources and avoid duplication of effort. For instance too MANY petitions could be counter-productive to our cause believe it or not .i.e duplication of signatures etc. Remember this is an incredibly serious business with the highest possible stakes - no longer just a small localised campaign. The eyes of the world are literally upon us!!!!!

In terms of us dove-tailing with the legal and political approach I am happy to act as 'go-between' for this purpose at the moment until we can take a fresh look at things on Tuesday night and decide, if necessary, to adopt a new approach.

Alistair and Tavish will hopefully attend the rally and I will be consulting with them as to how best the local efforts can be focused.

Until then all we at S for S can ask, is for you to contact us with your ideas via this site or by getting in touch direct (my mobile number is 07867-654509) and my e-mail is davie.gardner@btinternet.com

Having said that please please keep the petition, e-petition, nodeportationfromshetland@yahoo.co.uk, phone calls, letters etc etc going in fact ever increasing. Thanks especially to all of you doing this as we speak.

If you have already written to someone, write to them again asking what's happening and lets keep the pressure unrelenting.

In the meantime can I just say a MASSIVE thank-you to you all again. This has been an amazing and almost unprecedented campaign to date, especially in so short a time period and its made, and continuing to make, a world of difference, so lets make sure we go from strength to strength in this respect and 'as one'. Surely then the authorities will have to sit up and take some notice.

Thank you Shetland from the S for S campaign 'team' and the Makao family.

Now lets really show them!!!!!!!

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:15 am
Note this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2090-2220698.html

It may be symptomatic of the kind of press treatment we might expect.

Yeah this is the kind of thing that's very likely, especially this week when the first waves of emotion have subsided a bit. It's not totally accurate of course but neither is it unfair in the main.

The only issue I do take exception with is the fact that we have "glossed over" Sakchai's 'criminal record'. This is simply not true as my interviews on the BBC can pay testament too. Indeed I also sent the Sunday Times, along with all the other press members currently on our mailing list, a copy of my statment in respect of the emergency services which did little to hide or hopefully condone Sakcahi's misdemeanour(s)

The "moment of madness" oft quoted was from his legal team, including remember the Procurator Fiscal himself who admitted it was "totally out of character" as we now hope has been subsequently and adequately proved.

He was of course a teenager at the time of the actual crime and I cant recall any of us using the word 'niave' but this is possibly being a bit pedantic on my part.

On the whole can I thank the Sunday Times for their general support.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:43 am

I note that Sakchai's case is turning up on a lot of blogs this morning. Normblog covered it the other day, and lots of others are picking it up. They are overwhelmingly sympathetic - except one grotesque example, which I won't give further publicity.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:00 am

O.K. huvna been on here in a while & i return to find this, shocking really but not wholly unsurprising given our 'police state' blue labour government, i wasn't fully aware (and am still not) the implications of certain policy changes/reformations, but now that its not some faceless person in deepest darkest london being subjected to such treatment i can't help but feel angry and upset that our elected government feels the necessity to act in such a manner, seemingly wholly against the wishes of a great number of those they represent, the British public. Dismayed, possibly even ashamed, is probably more accurate given my until now apathetic view of what this government has been doing in our name, they didn't have my support before and certainly won't ever in the future, whatever name they decide to rebrand themselves with.

Regardless of the crime he committed, he has served his punishment, before these policy changes came into place (as far as i understand) and this should have no bearing on the present case in my opinion, his character should certainly not be called into question at any rate.

Needless to say i have now signed the e-petition, hope common sense can prevail, hang in there Sakchai

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:23 am

The way Sakchai has been treated is disgusting!! How can the goverment get away with treating someone like this! Sakchai isnt an immigant - he's lived in Shetland since he was a child and has been brought up there - so therefore he is a Shetlander!! I can't understand the need to send a young lad off to a maximum security prison when he has done nothing wrong - it's a total disgrace.

The support he is recieving from the Shetland community make's me proud to be a Shetlander! I'm supporting him from down here in Thurso - the people down here are also totally disgusted by the way he has been treated. I have printed off a petition to collect as many signitures as i can.

Keep smiling Sakchai!

I don't suppose there's any indication that the attack on this site had anything at all to do with Sakchai's plight? Or did it? Is there any way of knowing where it originated? Is this just something that happens in cyberspace from time to time?

Welcome to the joys of hosting an active Internet site! I would doubt that this is anything more than a coincidence that it happened at the same time as Sakchai's case.

There are for all intent purposes - bad "bots" and people out there - and it is almost a fire-fighting procedure you have to go through to keep things safe.

Our host yadUKHosting provides us with protection through a router-level firewall service as well as additionally protecting us from malicious activity via the http protocol - however when you are bombarded through the normal use of a website (i.e. posting posts on forum into the db) you are left open to issues .. which is what has happened in this case.

Shetlink would again like to apologise for the situation - and are working closely with our host at this time to ensure "business as usual" moving forward.

Kind regards,

Shetlink Team