Deportation of Sakchai Makao (Mark II) - ** News Thread **

trout

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More rescued posts

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:39 am

are there going to be any media crews at the rally on Tuesday?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:48 am

Just wanted to say that although I have not been posting anything much I am reading ALL the posts and will be at the rally on Tuesday to see what is to happen next and if there is anything that I can do then i will!

Zigzag75

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:23 am

http://huggysmind.blogspot.com/

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:32 am

Its so weird how you hear about people getting deported a lot and you don't think about it so much since they are deemed "violent criminals", yet when it hits home, and a person like Sakchai is labelled as a threat to the community, or a dangerous criminal, you just see how bad it is.

I hope our efforts are not ignored by the media and the Home Office, plus, it would be amazing to see the celebration when Sakchai came home off the boat or plane, and I think Sakchai, hell- EVERYONE is Shetland should be proud of what we have achieved!

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:05 am

Hi again

For anyone wishing to support this campaing still further and possibly in a wider context say by targeting your favourite musicians, actors in fact anyone or everyone who could help in any way I have posted the story of Sakchai so far on this site under 'The Sage of Sakchai- To Date'

Thanks for everything again

More rescued posts

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:21 am

Todays newspapers:

The Times Online - Comment: Gillian Bowditch: Justice without humanity - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2090-2220698,00.html

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:50 pm

Shetland is a really spectial place and the support for Sakchai demonstrates to the world exactly that.

I'm following things closely and have been emailing everyone I can think of to help. I'll be bringing a group of us from Sandness and will try and get as many as I can to come to the meeting on Tuesday. I hope the IMA take notice and do the right thing. I can only imagine what he's going through

I'm trying to get in contact with Bob Geldof or Bono. There isn't much contact details but I'll do what I can It's a long shot but even a short statement of support would help.

Tedium

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:20 pm

It may seem 'outrageous' to contact the likes of Bono or Bob Geldof on this subject but Tedium is right. All it takes is one of these people to take notice and speak about it, then the whole campaign goes international! Try and contact these people if you can find contact details!

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:34 pm

Hia,

We are arranging a peaceful demonstration outside the Scottish Parliment building on Tuesday 13th of June at approximately 11AM to highlight the injustice of Sakchai's deportation. We hope to bring the Shetland for Sakchai campaign to Edinburgh and raise awareness of the unreasnoble treatment of Sakchai on Scottish soil to the MSPs.

We welcome anyone who would would like to come along and help out. We will be handing out flyers, holding placards, talking to anyone interested in our cause and hopefully meeting MSPs to hand in a letter on the issue. Our aim is to get MSPs support for the campaign for Sakchai's release.

This is to be a wholy peaceful demonstration in order not to jepordise Sakcahi's chances for release.

If you are interested please contact me, Chris Jamieson at chrisjam82@gmail.com. Also if you know anybody else who might be interested, please pass this on and let them know.

Cheers,

Chris Jamieson.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:53 pm

It may seem 'outrageous' to contact the likes of Bono or Bob Geldof on this subject but Tedium is right. All it takes is one of these people to take notice and speak about it, then the whole campaign goes international! Try and contact these people if you can find contact details!

Bob Geldofs apparent "Official" website is http://www.bobgeldof.info if anyone is interested in attempting to contact him through that medium?

Rescued posts

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:43 pm

Good going Chris. I hope there's a good turn out. I put your info in the Deportation of Sakchai Makao - ePetition & info section

Here are links to a few blogs, which I'll also include

Blogs

Campaign for Sakchai Makao - from http://normblog.typepad.com/normblog/

Roll of Shame from www.bondbloke.blogspot.com

The human side of scandal from www.huggysmind.blogspot.com

Rescued post

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:22 pm

I've sent emails to both the U2 oficial sites and to Bob Geldof's site.

I don't know how likely it is they will respond but it's worth a try.

I will pass on your email adress Chris to my friends in Glasgow and Edinburgh. hopefull that will swell the ranks a little.

Tedium

Rescued posts

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:08 pm

I have sent emails to Colin & Edith now and also Chris Moyles shows.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:12 pm

I've e-mailed Billy Bragg and Dick Gaughan. Billy has a strong track record of supporting underdogs and I sense that Dick is too from his lyrics!

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:20 pm

Good to see Unison on side, also the SIC, SRT and an excellent message of support from Rev Greig of the Church of Scotland. Sakchai is obviously getting support from root and branch of the Shetland community.

Lets hope it registers with the beaurocrats, and that he's home soon.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:21 pm
Roll of Shame from www.bondbloke.blogspot.com

The above blog entry contains a number of very interesting links, including one about a Labour MSP who was imprisioned for fire-raising during a "drunken incident", then re-employed by the Government (although he wasn't a foreign national!) and a Guardian article about thousands of foreign prisoners being re-located to "closed" jails...

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:35 pm

Now unless I have got this wrong (quite possible due to me regularly getting things wrong) there have been over 1100 ePetitions signatures and over 4000 hard copy petition signatures at the last count.

To me that would seem like (within Shetland) at least one quarter to one fifth of the population and a damn sight more votes than many a politician or councillor gets.

There should be absolutely no reason why the poor boy can't get released as soon as possible. Congratulations to Alistair Carmichael for supporting this campaign and taking the time out to post to these forums. As far as I am concerned that puts him up at least one rung on my estimations of current politicians.

As to the rest of the folk that didn't realise Shetlink existed. Enjoy your stay. Try and hang around once this has been sorted out. There are bound to be other issues which need a 'voice' behind them. The more contributing to a place like this, the better.

PeerieBryan, looking at the times of your posts, you've been up most of the night fixing this problem!

Well done :!:

I took an hour aff fur a neeb :wink: I think its very important that we keep a record of this thread for current and future reference

It is important, also kinda important that people take note of the effort going into this campaign from so many fronts. Speaks volumes!

It has just been on the Radio, and in the Shetland News site that Alistair Carmichael is pursuin the angle that this arrest contravenes the EHCR. After much examination, i fear that the IND may be able to wriggle away from that one as the ECHR makes reference to deportation issues being distict from normal detainment. It does make for a difficult read though. It may be relevant to pursue the articles that originate form that divergence in UK policy though.

However, here is a section of a document drawn directly form a gov.uk website ( i was tring to post this last night when the site went down, I did have to wonder a bit :? ) In here the author seems to state that the UK policy extends beyond the EHCR, which i don't really beleive to be true, and seeks to reign in the policy through fairly stringent changes. This may be the root of the "witch hunt"

To enable them to deal effectively with the current flow of cases, I have agreed two

immediate changes to the system.

The first change is to prioritise cases for consideration according to the degree of risk

a person poses to the public. At present the criteria for consideration for deportation

includes people who have committed several minor and non-violent offences, but

excludes those who have had two custodial sentences of under a year for, say,

actual bodily harm. This is a perverse outcome in public protection terms. I have

therefore authorised that instead of considering for deportation those with 3

convictions regardless of seriousness or risk, the Immigration and Nationality

Directorate will now consider for deportation all non-EEA nationals who have been

given 12 months prison sentence, either in one sentence or as an aggregate of 2 or 3

sentences.

The second immediate change is to tighten the guidance given to caseworkers in

deciding whether or not an individual should be deported. Rule 364 of the

Immigration Rules, which sets out the criteria which officials should weigh in the

balance against a person's crime in taking the decision whether to deport and which

dates back to 1994, currently goes wider than the requirements of the Human Rights

Act and the European Convention on Human Rights would stipulate. It is not right

that the system should tilt the exercise of discretion in favour of the criminal rather

than public safety in this way. I have therefore approved the issuing of new guidance

to caseworkers which interprets the decision-making criteria much more tightly.

I believe that these immediate measures will help to ensure that more of those

offenders who pose a risk to public safety are dealt with fairly and efficiently, and will

face deportation where that is appropriate.

Where it is appropriate would seem to be a key issue here as giventhe public vote of confidence for Mr Makao, it would be seen to be entirely inappropriate.

The "guidance to case-workers" would make interesting reading.