Sea Shepherd in Shetland

Mattie

What about the Co-op who are supplying them food? Captain Flints and The Lounge are selling them drink! The oil companies supplying fuel, the engineering companies doing work on their boats!

The local media are even giving them publicity! Whatever next? Will the Pipe band be going along to serenade them? :D

I very rarely use any of those businesses, but certainly would think twice about putting any business their way right now if I were in the position to. I'm unimpressed by the company they seem to be choosing to keep.

The pipe band, they're welcome to, in fact they can sail to Faeroe with them....who knows, the skirl of the pipes might have the Faeroemen running for cover much faster than playing them a recording of the "Ride of the Valkyries" over loudspeakers. :wink:

I expect that these campaigners will find Shetland much more welcoming.

You may well be right,...

... but as can be plainly seen, I was in fact completely wrong.

Ahhh....I don't think I'd go that far. There's a pretty much 50/50 split going on here as far as I can see, kinda the story of most things in Shetland. Greenpeace were the exception to the rule insofar as almost nobody seemed to be willing to voice a good word for them.

If an unaccountable self-appointed vigilante gang were roaming Shetland, enforcing on anyone and everyone "rules" that they believed to be "right", would you, if you were a business owner in Shetland, willingly trade with them in any way that progressed their advancement?

In 2003, I took part in the march opposing the invasion of Iraq, in an (unsuccessful) attempt to get the government to, er, not invade Iraq. Should I have been barred from local businesses?

Whatever the "legal" status of the LPA on the issue, local businesses bunkering and supplying them with stores are highly unlikely to be similarly constrained.

Which is why I lament the fact that "we" are, literally and in every sense of the word, feeding and watering them.

What I find sad is that the people/companies supplying them, incl the LPA, wash their hands of the issue and view it simply as an opportunity to make money.....

I wonder how we would feel if the boot was on the other foot and an activist group were being "fed and watered" by the Faroese then coming down to harass and cause trouble in Shetland?.

Knowing Shetlanders, we'd soon be slagging the Faroese......

If an unaccountable self-appointed vigilante gang were roaming Shetland, enforcing on anyone and everyone "rules" that they believed to be "right", would you, if you were a business owner in Shetland, willingly trade with them in any way that progressed their advancement?

In 2003, I took part in the march opposing the invasion of Iraq, in an (unsuccessful) attempt to get the government to, er, not invade Iraq. Should I have been barred from local businesses?

No. You were (I assume) a UK national exercising your right to peacefully protest a decision of your national Government. You weren't (I assume) using force to prevent UK military personnel, ships and aircraft from departing for Iraq.

You were simply exercising your right to make a peaceful statement, you were (I assume) accountable to the laws of the land in which you made your protest (I don't recall any arrests being made during that protest). That was (as far as I'm aware) a "hands off" demonstration of the level of opinion, SS's actions has not much to do with a demonstration, and a lot to do with a "hands on" enforcement of their opinions.

SS is run by a Canadian, from offices in the U.S. and they roam the world's oceans, apparently regardless of national boundaries, doing whatever they feel necessary to force their will on to others.

As things stand, this is a guy from one nation, running an organisation in another, stocking up his vessel in a third nation so that he can go and interfere with and harrass people going about their lawful business in a fourth one. Who relies on the gray area of laws in international waters to do so.

The entire SS outfit are entitled to believe anything they see fit, and peacefully protest all they see fit, but when it comes to dictating and enforcing those beliefs wherever in the world whenever and however they see fit, who gave them a mandate to do so, and who are they accountable to when questions and complaints are made concerning their chosen actions?

Is it not bad enough that in a so-called civilised society we have to put up with national Governments who go as far as they think they can get away with in dictating to everyone how they should run their lives, before we willingly help facilitate self-appointed unaccountable private initatives of the same, kind hopping from nation to nation dictating to whatever country they see fit how the inhabitants should live their lives too.

I wonder how we would feel if the boot was on the other foot and an activist group were being "fed and watered" by the Faroese then coming down to harass and cause trouble in Shetland?

Exactly. It may be tuna and whales that are the favourites today, but an outfit like SS by definition only have loyalty to themselves. Tomorrow, who knows that it won't be herring, salmon, lobsters, seals or haddocks that's their "exploited" to "save". The salmon men oot wast were getting a bit jittery that a random floating chunk of the 'Quiet Waters' might hole their cage nets, the bow of the old Westra at speed will make far a bigger hole.

ghost and kavi are you both in favour of the whale slaughter. yes or no. Most british folks are very oppesed to it. they have not commited any offense here so let them be. if they commit any offenses further north then its for them to sort it. Stopping people just because your not happy with them end in a represive society.

why should the harbour or the merchents or even the locals who have visited their ship be stopped.

maybe there was a need for the slaughter when they needed to eat it but they now don't. can you honestly claim that what they do is the same as a greenlander or inuit taking one to feed their family.

^^ I'm no more in favour of nor opposed to slaughtering whales than I am to slaughtering anything else. If its done as part of the food chain, that's justifiable and natural, if its done for fun or sport, and wasted, I don't condone it, but I won't condemn it either. I don't believe its my business to dictate to others how they run their lives or behave towards the other living things around them.

I am however very strongly opposed to self appointed groups vigilantes roaming around forcing their beliefs on others, and am equally opposed to assisting them to facilitate doing so in any way, regardless whether they be door knocking bible bashers or whale scaring pirates.

Its not about stopping the LPA or local businesses taking SS's business, they'll have to make up their own minds on whether they do or not, and live with the results. Its simply expressing an opinion of disappointment in the LPA and any businesses who have traded with them for choosing to do so.

I think the Faroese have a right to hunt the whales if they want. If it's genuine then fine I'm in favour of them harvesting a natural bounty from the sea but if it's just for pleasure/tradition etc then I would find it hard to support.

As I've mentioned before the reality is it's a mixture of tradition and a free meal so it falls between the two!.

Most urban British dwellers, especially the young generation, have become clueless mobile phone hugging Hollyoakers who would cry at seeing a rabbit killed so I really don't care what they think.

Despite the best efforts of Shetland's media there is a long standing friendship between Shetland and Faroe. It was Shetlanders who introduced fishing(smacks etc) to Faroe, around 1900 I believe, and we come from a common seafaring and island heritage and this is why the majority of Shetlanders understand, and sympathise with, Faroe's right to whale.

It's not only Greenpeace's Esparanza that many Shetlanders would privately like to see sunk.....

but even some of us hardened carnivores would find it distasteful to see a field of cows slaughtered by the same method

It's a cruel world man.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=107758719311683&comments

There might be a strategic reason why the Faroese are keeping the pilot whale hunt going, and that's the fishing industry. The name of this organization is not 'Whale Shepheard' it's 'Sea Shepheard', and their aim is not only to 'save the whales' but to save and protect everything swimming in the sea, including fish. And without a fishing industry, Faroe will be depopulated fairly quickly.

So the faroese official policy has been, keep the whaling going so they (SS) are focused on that, because if the whaling stops, their next step is to end the fishing as well.

So you see, SS is in fact forcing the Faroese to continue this 'tradition' :lol:

Despite the best efforts of Shetland's media there is a long standing friendship between Shetland and Faroe.

When I cast my mind back and try to remember situations where the local media might have misrepresented Faroe, first of all I find it hard to think of more than a couple of stories. Surely if there is nothing to report, good or bad, they can hardly be blamed for reporting nothing. None of the stories which do come to mind strike me as being particularly friendly; namely the Norröna fiasco, the sheep swindle, and the recent mackerel quota. What kind of friendly initiatives have been going on which are unreported, or misreported?

... their aim is not only to 'save the whales' but to save and protect everything swimming in the sea, including fish.

Very true. Do I get token protest points for having eaten my haddock supper between the Irwin and the Bardot on Friday? :wink: