Sea Shepherd in Shetland

Mattie

^^ So Shetlanders are dirtying their hands over this are they? Odd view.

I reckon its the folk in Faroe with their tradition are the ones with dirty hands.

Odd? SS are self-styled "pirates", self-appointed and only accountable to themselves. In plain terms, a collection of renegades, vigilantes doing whatever they see fit. On land they'd be closed down PDQ, what suddenly changes when they go to sea, and how is assisting people acting in such a manner "good", "just", "honourable", etc, etc?

The "Guardian Angels" started out with the same mission statement and phliosophy on land for humans, and met with an immense amount of opposition from all quarters. They soon had to tone it down and get with the system to survive, thrive and gain a level of acceptability, why does the same not apply to SS, Greenpeace or whoever at sea?

I'm not saying Faeroe can claim any moral high ground for what they do, but neither can SS in how they oppose it. Obviously no "leading by example" philosophy exists with SS, rather one of "sink to the level you preceive your opponent to be at".

yet again kavi your pro norse anti shetland views come out.

most people would find how they slaughter the whales unexceptable. yet if we object to a primative out dated practice you call us weaklings.

Im grad we live in a community that values wildlife higher than that. maybe if they we not slaughtering them we would see more of them around shetland which could improve our eco tourism.

if the islanders really need the meat then that would be exceptable however the practice is not that its just like deer hunting.

....listen the faroese have shafted us in the past (smyril line) so who gives a monkeys if this lot interfere with them,....

I think if you check history shafting has been a mutual thing, and arguably we began it. Shetland owned boats made a nice little fortune thankyou very much off the faeroe cod grounds with long lines for a large part of the 19th century, without even so much as a thankyou to the Faeroese.

It was only when herring was the big thing here and paid better than cod trips to Faeroe, and the boats were getting to be older and not very well suited to herring, that we sold them off to the Faeroese and they could establish the fishery in their own right. Of course by then, we, along with others had creamed off the best over several decades.

if the islanders really need the meat then that would be exceptable however the practice is not that its just like deer hunting.

I'm sorry? a little confused here, deer hunting is primarily used as a form of wildlife and forestry conservation. Don't see how hunting whales could be considered the same?

(sorry visions of caain whales nibbling trees in the the snow, dr who stylie)

maybe if they we not slaughtering them we would see more of them around shetland which could improve our eco tourism.

I believe any "tourism" argument is a red herring, hogwash.... We have a viable season of three months, are quite difficult to get to, and it costs a hellish sum to do so. Tourism is always going to be extremely limited unless the plane or boat is for free to tourists.

If you compare the regulations on slaughtering animals in this country, regardless of any religious aspects to the slaughter of whales in the way they are dispatched now could only be seen as cruel.

So, bearing this in mind, there is a point to be made about the whale trade.

Harpooned whales can take may hours to die, even with explosive harpoons, you cannot guarantee a sure shot.

Whales could be farmed, they keep whales for entertainment, I am sure there would be ways. This would then lead to the question of slaughter.

^^ Ummmm.....

Furthermore, in 1985 the Faroe Islands outlawed the use of spears and harpoons in the hunt, as it considers these weapons to be unnecessarily cruel to animals.

Once ashore the pilot whale is killed by cutting the dorsal area through to the spinal cord with a special whaling knife, a grindaknívur. Given the circumstances during a pilot whale hunt, the whaling knife is considered the safest and most effective equipment with which to kill the whales. The length it takes for a whale to die varies between a few seconds to a few minutes, with the average time being 30 seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_the_Faroe_Islands

yet again kavi your pro norse anti shetland views come out.

most people would find how they slaughter the whales unexceptable. yet if we object to a primative out dated practice you call us weaklings.

Im grad we live in a community that values wildlife higher than that. maybe if they we not slaughtering them we would see more of them around shetland which could improve our eco tourism.

Not so!. All I'm saying is, if we'd have learned to stand up for ourselves like our Scandinavian and Nordic neighbours have then maybe we would have a more prosperous group of islands, especially in relation to fishing.

This notion that Shetland has had a "road to Damascus" wildlife conversion thanks to the likes of SNH and the RSPB is utter rubbish. Long before you or me, SNH, Greenpeace or SS et al came along Shetlanders knew more about and were more in tune with nature than any present-day bode thinks they are, even if that meant catching whales.

I'm not saying this in a bad way at all, but if you knew the common roots that I'm talking about in relation to Shetland, Norway, Faroe etc then you would understand what I'm saying and where I'm coming from!.

As a side note, for every tourist who caught a glimpse of killer whales while here there are probably 9 others who didn't.....

I think it's safe to say that Faroe's harvesting of these pilot whales has absolutely no bearing on Shetland's wildlife at all.

GR, yon's the best link/info I've read on this issue.

Ok den, harpoons are not allowed, but instead

The pilot whales that are not beached were often stabbed in the blubber with a sharp hook, called a gaff (in Faroese sóknarongul), and then pulled ashore. But, after allegations of animal cruelty, the Faroese whalers started using blunt gaffs (in Faroese blásturongul) to pull the whales ashore by their blowholes. Today, the ordinary gaff is only being used to pull killed whales ashore. The blunt gaff became generally accepted since its invention in 1993, and it is not only more effective, but it is also more humane by comparison to the other gaff. However, anti-whaling groups such as Greenpeace and the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society (WDCS) claim that the partial blocking and irritation of the airway hurts and panics the animal.

similar thing perhaps, different implements.

Though I would think whale harpooning still goes on, as does inhumane seal killing does on our shores.

The other part of the same report mentions the abundance of food available on the islands and the need for such roundups may be one of culture rather than food. The other thing pointed out id the level of toxins in these animals.

Animal-rights activists argue that the grindadráp is not only cruel, but in view of the ample food supply in today's Faroes, completely unnecessary. Additional argumentation is supplied by the Faroese Ministry of Health, which warns of excessive consumption of pilot whale meat, since it has been shown to contain high levels of mercury, PCBs, and environmental poisons.[19] The Faroese Chief medical officers Pál Weihe and Høgni Debes Joensen announced in late 2008 that pilot whale meat and blubber contains too much mercury, PCBs, and DDT derivatives to be safe for human consumption

Another thing that could be pointed out is compared to other mammal culls, the need to limit the stress is paramount. All the animals rounded up for the kill are all driven upon a designated beach, I wonder if there are always enough folk to kill these mammals to minimise this stress.

We have to remember, much of the world only sees bits of animal that do not resemble the animal. With the exception of chicken and other birds perhaps.

A comparison could also be made to cruel sports, the chasing down of game and its execution in the "field".

The execution of the whale by this method is the best method given the circumstances of the chase and killing.

Given the circumstances during a pilot whale hunt, the whaling knife is considered the safest and most effective equipment with which to kill the whales.

This could suggest there may be better alternatives if the animals were not beached or dragged ashore.

I say all of this as someone who is on the outside of this. As it is those on the outside you need to convince one way or another. As they could have a final vote on the matter.

Maybe these protesters, who have the money and the time and sometimes the conviction to act out these dangerous exploits and feats had a different public view by means of more effective propaganda and the ability to compromise as well as the industry it is targeting then certain practices may be acceptable.

We are a nation of animal lovers who love to eat what we love.

quotes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_the_Faroe_Islands

the majority of Shetlanders understand, and sympathise with, Faroe's right to whale.

Where did you pull that statistic from?

From the real world i.e not Shetlink.

And for the record, my sarcastic tone is not done in a bad way, it's more done out of sadness at how limp and pathetic Shetland, as a community, has become :(

I Agree we dee Kavi Ugl, Shetlink isna the real world! for a mercy!

I dunna tink da majority o folk in Shetland are limp and pathetic though, you might get dat impression fae readin this thread!

Hey Kevin, thanks tae dee - it's dat fine tae see somebody come forward dat kens whit you're spiking aboot and support you :D

No, I ken der a lot o good folk oot yonder but it's just a shame we dunna pull tagidder mair. We shoulda been doon at Holmgarth cutting da ropes of yon blasted boat and standing shoulder tae shoulder wi Faroe.....

Hey Kevin, thanks tae dee - it's dat fine tae see somebody come forward dat kens whit you're spiking aboot and support you :D

No, I ken der a lot o good folk oot yonder but it's just a shame we dunna pull tagidder mair. We shoulda been doon at Holmgarth cutting da ropes of yon blasted boat and standing shoulder tae shoulder wi Faroe.....

Why, because you believe in something different to them?

Is suggesting cutting the ropes on their boat not putting you in the same boat(pardon the pun) as the intrepid seafarers of the SS?

Have you watched this documentary - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cove_%28film%29 ? What are your thoughts on this subject and is it any different to what happens in Faroe?

You still havn't managed to come with some evidence supporting your claim before and just because I don't hold the same view as you doesn't mean I'm limp or pathetic!