Sea Shepherd in Shetland

Mattie

Hey Kevin, thanks tae dee - it's dat fine tae see somebody come forward dat kens whit you're spiking aboot and support you :D

No, I ken der a lot o good folk oot yonder but it's just a shame we dunna pull tagidder mair. We shoulda been doon at Holmgarth cutting da ropes of yon blasted boat and standing shoulder tae shoulder wi Faroe.....

Cobblers. Why the hell should we 'stand shoulder to shoulder' with someone just because they are our neighbours?

You seem a bit desperate to garner support on this one, Kavi...is that because you know you're on a losing wicket? :wink: :D

Damn them pesky SSers....coming up here with their concerns about animal welfare.....

Break out the pitchforks!

Nah, that would just lower us to SS's level. A group of private individuals descending on another group of private individuals from and in a foreign nation, and forcefully preventing that group of individuals from participating in an activity that is wholly legitimate in that nation, is the modern day equivalent of a pitchfork weidling mob of vigilantes.

^^ So Shetlanders are dirtying their hands over this are they? Odd view.

I reckon its the folk in Faroe with their tradition are the ones with dirty hands.

Hmm.. What do you build your stereotyping on? I'm Faroese, I never once participated in this 'grind' tradition, I never even went to get my name on the 'list for free meat', which is what all those people you see in the pictures are there for, so how come my hands are dirty?

I could in the same instant tell you that you brits with your 'tradition' of colonizing and exploiting basically everone else on this planet are the ones with dirtiest hands, both when it comes to treating animals and not least other peoples.

What do you build your stereotyping on? I'm Faroese, I never once ..., so how come my hands are dirty?

You don't seem to be understanding that stereotypes are inherently simplified generalisations. As such there can be exceptions without the fundamental stereotype being refuted. Stereotypes can be used badly, but they can also prove useful. It is a common fallacy to consider stereotypes as always being incorrect.

I could in the same instant tell you that you brits with your 'tradition' of colonizing and exploiting basically everone else on this planet are the ones with dirtiest hands, both when it comes to treating animals and not least other peoples.

Fair comment, I wouldn't disagree with that stereotype.

ISOT, I'm speaking generally.

Klanky, I'm afraid you show how little you know about Shetland and Faroes' history and ties. If you're going to live here you'll have to do better than that....!.

It did come across as being rather harsh, Kavi. Not my intention.

I'm more than aware of Shetlands'historical and modern links with the Faeroes, my point is that being linked (however closely) does not mean that we should back something that is morally wrong simply because they're our 'mates'. Rather a backward attitude, methinks.

Damn them pesky SSers....coming up here with their concerns about animal welfare.....

Break out the pitchforks!

Nah, that would just lower us to SS's level. A group of private individuals descending on another group of private individuals from and in a foreign nation, and forcefully preventing that group of individuals from participating in an activity that is wholly legitimate in that nation, is the modern day equivalent of a pitchfork weidling mob of vigilantes.

Which was my point entirely..... :D

^^Nothing to do with me, even if the LPA is run by a Bigton woman.

No offence to Bressay or anybody that lives there either (I had to say that, or I'd never have heard the end of it fae me bridder), but the less welcome SS are made to feel, the better I'll like it. Tis only a pity the gut factory doesn't stink anything like it once did,. :twisted:

Great gig last night by the Levellers.

Showing full support for Sea Shepherd.

Even dedicating a song to them!

Currently the Steve Irwin Boat is moored next to the Bressay Fish Factory. Obviously a piss take by the Lerwick Port Authority..

Anyway,

Shetlanders to get rid of the boat Steve Irwin donate here!http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/2011/07/19/emergency-sos-from-captain-paul-watson-save-our-ship-1263