Sea Shepherd in Shetland

Mattie

I have been in Faroe several times, and there is not a more natural unspoilt place as Faroe. They are very much at one with there wildlife, but also recognise that everyone must eat as well. I think they have a very good balance compared with other places in the world. It is a hard environment, but over the generations they have learned to live and coexist no problem with their environment. These city people who come in their boats to save them from themselves do not understand the way of life, and untill they actually stay there and see the way of life for what it really is they should not criticise it.

How very romantic. The Faroese have a better standard of living than most people in Shetland. They feed their dogs on last years whale meat to free up some space in the freezer for this years crop. There are now approximately three times as many humans on this planet than when I was born, most put survival, greed or corruption first. SS is trying to stop the inevitable. No government on earth is going to stop climate change, save the Tiger or protect the rain-forest. Mankind is hell-bent on destroying the planet, it would be nice if so called civilised nations did something to help, but they won't. The Faroese grind is as outdated as burning witches - humanity needs to move on and get a grip - but it won't.

How very sarcastic travelling birder. I know a lot of people in Faroe very well, and I have never been aware of that practice. Yes they are better off in lots of ways as U.S. In Shetland , but that is because they are willing to pay taxes for a better standard of life for themselves and other people to get that. Here in shetland and Britain no one wants to pay tax, and they want to keep all the income for themselves but get all healthcare roads schools etc for nothing. Someone else should pay for it. I think you will find that there disposable income for themselves is a lot less, but there community things are second to none. There is no arguing over tunnels there. They are just made.