Camera Advice

Kavi Ugl

Hello, I am looking for some camera advice.

At the moment I have a compact camera. It's a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 and it's not a bad little camera but what I've come to see is that it doesn't seem to take the sharpest of photos compared to some of what I see on the internet.

So, I am toying with the idea of buying perhaps an SLR(?) but I'm basically looking for one that I can have on automatic and it will still produce a better photo with sharper lines.

I'm looking to spend £2-300ish so any any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks very much in advance.

Kavi

Guest CyprusPluto

Kavi

For the price you're looking at a digital SLR would be bottom end of the market.

Google "digital bridge camera". I think these will be more suited to your price and needs and £300 would get you a very good one

Bridge cameras are basically in between compact and SLR

Kavi, try the reconditioned market. I know Kodak sell repaired cameras from warranty stock. They are the best deals as you get a camera that has been set up by a human rather than a factory machine. I got a similar camera as a bridge, fantastic results for less than 200. They still come with guarantees.

I have a Fujifilm FinePix S9500.

It is very good and a second hand one on Ebay

Fujifilm FinePix S9500 Zoom 9.0 MP Digital SLR Camera (Kit w/ Fujinon ED 28-300mm f/2.8)

Buy usedGet fast dispatch and excellent service from eBay Top-rated sellers: £139.99

10 used from: £119.99

Review here

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/fujifilm/finepix/fuji_s9500_s9000_EN1.html

Go to the Camera Centre for advice, check their prices, go on the internet and check prices, then buy said camera off the internet for £30 cheaper, then come on Shetlink and complain about local prices. Thats the way this thread will end up, guaranteed! :wink:

My advice would be to go to the above shop, speak to the helpful staff and give the new owner a bit of support IF they can compete on what you're looking for before trying the internet. They are actually very good to deal with!

Cheers

ISOT wrote

Go to the Camera Centre for advice, check their prices, go on the internet and check prices, then buy said camera off the internet for £30 cheaper, then come on Shetlink and complain about local prices.
I did the first part of that. Saw a camera I liked in the Camera Centre and then found a "better deal" on the internet so bought on-line. Only thing was that the camera I got, although great and still working well, was what is known as a "grey import". Produced to sell outside Europe. In this case probably the same quality but could have caused me problems if it had needed repairing.

Current advice from me is to check prices on-line but be prepared to spend a bit more to buy locally. But maybe see if the Camera Centre can match a deal you found on-line. And even if you decide to buy on-line go for a reputable company rather than getting the cheapest option.

also check that the batteries are not very expensive. or get a free charger. go to the camera centre but it is a shop so they will only try to sell you what they have. there are loads of good dslr mine is now 5 years old and im still learning how to use all the functions.

also check that the batteries are not very expensive. or get a free charger. go to the camera centre but it is a shop so they will only try to sell you what they have. there are loads of good dslr mine is now 5 years old and im still learning how to use all the functions.

That statement is not accurate, they ordered in the camera I wanted! :wink:

Cheers

• 5 months later...