Pets on Buses

JustMe

I hope you are insured.

:o

I think the objections should be taken up with those who are preventing travel. Folk will have their opinions, they are right to have them and express them.

Dogs are great, but I think they need to earn their living, but just as a status symbol, wrong.

I also think that all dogs should be registered, and for travel. They need to have all their injections as well, if only to be fair to the animal.

Shetlink is great for exploring the nooks and crannies, it also helps to enlighten folk.

Try not to take it too much to heart, if you do, I will bite your dog back.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would dispute the statement made that insurance does not include home visits. I have checked

https://www.petplan.co.uk/therightcover/dog.asp

I could not find any exclusions on home visits.

The right policy would cover this and will be available. Many vets will do a finance deal with you as well.

Insurance forms have a section that asks if home visits were justified and necessary.

Guest posiedon
SP

Do buses run all through the night?

How would you ensure emergency treatment when they (buses) are not running?

You're forced (by conscience and empathy) to call out the vet, which we have had to do on more than one occasion, and please explain your unfounded statement "
Dogs are great, but I think they need to earn their living, but just as a status symbol, wrong.

Are you saying that folk [me] Can't have a dog as a pet? If so, why?
I don't think you'd bite my dog back :)

SP

Do buses run all through the night?

How would you ensure emergency treatment when they (buses) are not running?

You're forced (by conscience and empathy) to call out the vet, which we have had to do on more than one occasion, and please explain your unfounded statement " earlier in the string/thread it was said that it was the only way to get the dog to the vet for some.

Are you saying that folk [me] Can't have a dog as a pet? If so, why? nope, you just thought that up, you may want to broaden your definition of earn
I don't think you'd bite my dog back :)if I cannot bit the back, the leg will do, I have been a paperboy and a milkman, I have had dealings with dogs and know how to subdue them for long enough to escape, dog biscuits, then I will bite the back...

I hope you are insured.

I think the objections should be taken up with those who are preventing travel. Folk will have their opinions, they are right to have them and express them.

I also think that all dogs should be registered, and for travel. They need to have all their injections as well, if only to be fair to the animal.

Shetlink is great for exploring the nooks and crannies, it also helps to enlighten folk.

Thankyou, we are now both enlightened........ :wink:

Could you enlighten me on this:

When I typed in a r s e in my last post, it came up with the awful American word 'ass', what's the point in that?

I daren't type in 'hello' any more in case it comes out as "Yo, Bro!" 8)

BTW my dog is now online trying to track you down.... :P

I hope you are insured.

I really can't be bothered to respond to all your points as at times, it feels like I would be banging my head against a brick wall. You might, however, care to be enlightened yourself. Many countries no longer advocate injecting dogs against diseases every year because of the harm it causes - we don't inject children on a yearly basis against diseases. If I wasn't putting my mutts in kennels later this year, then they wouldn't be having an annual booster when it is now deemed acceptable by many vets to only inject every other year. I do, however, ensure that they are regularly wormed.

This thread appears to be going somewhat off-course as I fail to see the relevance of canine diseases that are vaccinated against and pets on buses.

<< Wanders off aimlessly whilst SP now goes to Google whether humans can catch Parvo from dogs.

As the person who started this thread I agree it is going a bit off course and following a canine route. As it happens the pets that prompted me to start the discussion were a couple of cats who would have been transported in a cat basket that would have kept the cats away from other passengers although I must admit there might have been a bit of feline noise.

The cats would have been coming to stay with me while their human had a well earned holiday south and now I am travelling into town every day (except Sunday when alternative arrangements have been made) to feed them and I do feel a bit aggrieved that because neither of us have vehicles we were left with the option of a very expensive taxi bill or me travelling to town every day to feed the poor lonely little cats who are innocent victims of SIC policy or lack of SIC policy.

You are quite right.

Dogs have become the topic I suppose because they are rarely boxed for transport. I do still feel that if you own an animal, you are the sole person who is responsible for their welfare. I have checked insurances and have not found one that refuses to pay for home visits. Until a compromise can be made, the fairest thing you can do for your charge ist to get insured.

I have seen too many animals killed because the vet bill and associated charges was too high.

Some animal lovers us.

Personally I think if they're kept on a lead there shouldn't be a problem.

I work on the Glasgow subway (yeah - fat lot of use my degree was!) and only guide dogs are permitted in the system. I've heard various reasons for this - the noise / shoogle might startle dogs, if more than one dog is in the same carriage they might fight, they might intimidate / set off an allergy in other passengers...et al. Buses and trains allow them as long as they're on a restraint of some sort.

It's not that long ago that I saw someone with a cat basket getting on the Sandwick bus at 5pm. Also, a couple of weeks after the Lerwick vets closed I saw an elderly woman getting off the early morning Sumburgh bus at Tescos and wait in the bus shelter there, presumably to catch the bus going to Scalloway.

I've taken my own cat on the Sandwick/Sumburgh bus several times and never had any problems.

Being scared of a dog is def going to make a person more likely to be bitten since all that nervous energy makes the dog nervous. Simple don't sit next to the dog. I would be delighted if pets could go on busses, since I come from an outer isle I can't keep a car roadworth on the mainland just incase I might need to get to the vet. And yes the vet can come to you, but it's not so easy for them to get to the outer isles and could prove very costly. If some of the busses alow pet they are presumably not that much of a problem and the other companies should do likewise and if they wont do it put it in the next contract so they have to.