Alleged hacker arrested in Shetland

Sudden Stop

BBC World Service is now stating the individual is 18 years old and was arrested in Lerwick.

Now I hear that he was arrested in Scalloway and is from Sweden.

So the next rumour will be of him is that he is back in Shetland.

And signing Internet Hacking for Dummies books at the Shetland Times Book Shop..

Swede Daniel Sandberg, 23, aka 'Topiary', has previously spoken on Swedish TV about another hacking group Anonymous, and is thought to be a long standing member of the underground hacking fraternity.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2006118/Ryan-Cleary-charged-cyber-attack-CIA-LulzSec-takes-revenge.html#ixzz1TPWgis12

thats from something ages ago, its half way down page in d blue bit that says about the swedish boy

The Swedish Topiary said in a leaked chat log that the Topiary over in "Ireland or Scotland" was a troll who used his name but as far as I can tell didn't seem to be the hacker? Could be a double bluff. He can't be local, no-one knows his name yet. Normally the jungle drums are blaring for minor things, but with this? No-one knows.

I'll hedge my bets that it's not that serious, just give him a clip round the ear, that'll shape him up.

If he is the real Topiary and not the alleged red-herring, then it is indeed extremely serious because the US will want him and they have a habit of locking people up for eternities. Look at the famous McKinnon case for example. If McKinnon ends up being extradited then he's looking at up to 70 years of jail.

Looks like they have the wrong person!

Waste of police time and money to be honest!

Some kid trying to impersonate "Topiary" and now his bridges have been burnt.

Anonymous and Lulz Sec..

Brilliant.. Great story about Rupert Murdoch dying of metal poisoning in his Topiary garden!! http://www.itworld.com/security/187537/british-cybercops-may-have-been-duped-arrest-lulzsec-leader

I know of only 3 'anons' in Shetland. I have spoken to one of them today, the other is too old (obviously I'm the third).

Shows people CAN get away with things in Shetland for quite some time and still remain unknown! Fancy that.

Really? Why then have you posted your location as Scalloway? A bit stupid..

Unless you are really posting from Outer Mongolia!

The "Other" that is too old..

Is it this guy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vz3nyRuFuU

The old man!

He gets about a bit!

Anonymous and Lulz Sec..

Brilliant.. Great story about Rupert Murdoch dying of metal poisoning in his Topiary garden!! http://www.itworld.com/security/187537/british-cybercops-may-have-been-duped-arrest-lulzsec-leader

I thought Topiary wanted to steal someones name to potentially frame them somewhere down the line so he took the name from this Shetlander who was being annoying on the internet..? That was my understanding of it. And I prefer it that way because it means someone got arrested for being an ass on the internet and that should happen more often

Also I'm inclined to believe they got the wrong guy simply because sabu is posting all over twitter that they got the right guy and if a) it's the real topiary then they'd be too smart to admit that he has involvement with lulzsec in such a public place and if B) it isnt the real Topiary that's been arrested, then they probably think theyre really smart by playing along with it in public, and then the real Topiary stopping all public internet activity

I like some of what they do, and the Westboro Baptist Church deserves everything it gets, and I am also impressed at their technical skills, but they still seem like self obsessed immature idiots to be honest

Anonymous and Lulz Sec..

I thought Topiary wanted to steal someones name to potentially frame them somewhere down the line so he took the name from this Shetlander who was being annoying on the internet..? That was my understanding of it. And I prefer it that way because it means someone got arrested for being an ass on the internet and that should happen more often

Also I'm inclined to believe they got the wrong guy simply because sabu is posting all over twitter that they got the right guy and if a) it's the real topiary then they'd be too smart to admit that he has involvement with lulzsec in such a public place and if B) it isnt the real Topiary that's been arrested, then they probably think theyre really smart by playing along with it in public, and then the real Topiary stopping all public internet activity

I like some of what they do, and the Westboro Baptist Church deserves everything it gets, and I am also impressed at their technical skills, but they still seem like self obsessed immature idiots to be honest

Yes I heard that Topiary was using a scottish persons (likely this shetlander) identity to take the heat off of him. Maybe its true, maybe it worked. we will hear officially soon enough.

According to sources online, Anonymous NEVER obtained any user details from Sony, and this was misinformation or false propaganda put out there by Sony & the media. Anonymous say they only attacked the site over their legal stance on the (once free to develop and exploit) code for the PS3, and the severe legal action Sony has taken to ensure no one can do this any longer. One coder in particular - GeoHot - has been severely targeted by Sony's legal team, it seems, including consent being granted for Sony to obtain ISP details of every person who has viewed, accessed or utilised the code he hacked for "homebrewing" the PS3 (honestly - EVERY person!). It is actually quite interesting to see just how draconian Sony's stance appears in relation to this guy, who was one of those - if not THE guy - who successfully tweaked Steve Jobs' nose in relation to the legalities of jailbreaking the iPhone. Hotz's stance was, "It's my PS3, I should be able to decide how I use it and what I play on it". Sony differed in their view and have now settled the case, with a permanent injunction against Hotz from re-working or

distributing any further firmware codes for PS3.

Anonymous insist they launched a denial of service attack on Sony, which did not access or obtain any gamers' personal details. Sony insist (and Manu users concur) that this was an "annoyance" only, and was sporadic at best,

far from the full-on "V for Vendetta" smackdown that Anonymous insist. The site itself was actually taken offline for so long by Sony themselves, while they set up security protocols to prevent any repeat attacks. Anonymous ceased the "denial of service" attacks when it became apparent they were only annoying the PSN users who paid for a service they could not always

gain access to, rather than the execs they were attempting to target.

The whole "hacked my info" story may generate from a few attempts, two or three years ago, by some alleged "affiliates" of the Anonymous collective, where blatantly dodgy messages were received, through PSN, by many PSN users, pretending to be from Sony. These requested details such as date of birth, e-mail, passwords (no, really!) to be sent by reply to "PSN" in order to receive "an essential update". For those who fell for this, I imagine this went something like "yeah, here's your update... your account

HAS now been hacked, stupid!"

Anyway, PSN users, I wouldn't worry too much about it, if I was you.

Who's right? I dunno. There are two sides to every story.

Who's telling the truth? I dunno! Either of them?

I think those interviewing this individual will be less interested with Sony and more preoccupied with these alleged attacks against SOCA, the CIA and such like.

Whoever these "anons" may be, to think you can take on an entire intelligence agency (cue usual yawnsome jokes about "intelligence? The CIA? Thats a joke!") IMHO you must be terribly naive/self-destructive/egotistical/secure/deluded/medicated (delete as appropriate)...