Jonathan Wills Nazi salute?

Talonx

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With respect to all who died in WW2 wills should be sacked , let alone the exteremly distastefull gesture to the suffering families in Norway. Sack him

Also with respect to those that suffered in WW2, do you not think that's a little harsh. It has already been established that his actions were in no way directed to those effected by the tragedy in Norway, it was in relation to a different matter completely. Made out of frustration that the Shetland council is by no means run in a democratic fashion, something that I would be quite worried about.

I think that most people of a certain age can remember the Fawlty Towers episode " Don't mention the War ! ", hilarious tv that will stand the test of time. I don't remember such an outcry over Jonathan Cleese's actions.

Mr. Wills has made his apologies for what was at worst a very un-tactful way of proving his point, that being the three councillers at the top of the tree can overule any sort of debate on a subject if they so wish. If I were a voter in the islands then my biggest worry would be that not every counciller holds equal status meaning that it is not run in a democratic fashion. Should the Shetland public not be discussing this issue rather than going over...& over a trivial mistake which has not cost the council 1p.

His constituents can vote him out next time if they so wish, but whoever they vote in will still be faced by the same frustrations if they are not allowed by the chosen three to put their own views across on what may be a very important matter.

His press releases are becoming increasingly bizarre. Now Dr W is accusing Josie Simpson of "smearing" him by portraying him as a Nazi or Nazi sympathiser! Nowhere in anything I have seen from Simpson does he say this, or imply it. Instead he comments on the poor taste of the action. That is all. And, in this at least, he is right.

It is Dr W who attempted to portray Simpson as behaving like Adolf Hitler, and repeatedly accuses him of "dictatorial" conduct (BTW, i believe the Doctor WAS allowed to speak for his motion, at the appropriate time in the proceedings? Would this happen in a dictatorship? Don't think so...)

It seems to me that it's HE who is attempting to portray the Council leaders as Nazis, or behaving like them, at least.

As for this comment...

“The fact remains that he [Mr Simpson], the convener [sandy Cluness] and the chair of education [betty Fullerton] have lost the plot when it comes to chairing meetings. No assembly in the world runs it in that way. Someone makes a motion, and is then invited to say why they’re proposing it.â€

... he's lucky he's not in the Ukraine, or many other countries, or he'd be spitting teeth, the way he behaves to his fellow councillors at times. To illustrate...

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/ukraine-parliament-fight-video-martynyuk-lyashko-brawl-2789954.html

This arose out of an identical scenario to that which Dr W describes in his self-justifying release. "No assembly in the world..."? Then there's Taiwan...

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/834479-taiwan-parliament-descends-into-traditional-massive-fight

In the past, I have worked for and with people I don't necessarily like or agree with. That's part of life sometimes. You just have to get on with it or get a new job. But in Wills' case, he is supposed to be working positively to further the wellbeing of his constituents. To do so, he needs support, I would guess. You don't get that insulting people, shouting in meetings, continually running to the Press.

This whole maverick, lone wolf, me against the world thing does not lend itself to serving folk as a councillor. I laud his sticking to his principles, but it's how he conducts himself that bothers me.

All the mis-spending in the world STILL doesn't justify what he did. He seems totally incapable of realizing he has upset folk with this and needs to admit this and say sorry. But it seems increasingly unlikely to happen.

As someone pointed out before, if David Clarke had done this, Dr W would have been all over him and refusing to let it go. He set his standards, but he refuses to live by them, it seems. Very disappointing.

I think that most people of a certain age can remember the Fawlty Towers episode " Don't mention the War ! ", hilarious tv that will stand the test of time. I don't remember such an outcry over Jonathan Cleese's actions.

Mr. Wills has made his apologies for what was at worst a very un-tactful way of proving his point, that being the three councillers at the top of the tree can overule any sort of debate on a subject if they so wish.

Firstly, even the character of Basil Fawlty had to suffer a concussion and be shown to be clearly off his head before "doing the silly walk". So if the two incidents are being compared, it says little for the mental well-being of Cllr Wills.

Secondly, he did have his chance to put his case, at the appropriate time in accordance with such meeting guidelines. Nothing was overruled other than Cllr Wills trying to talk at the wrong time. He made his motion, then was invited to talk when the time was right.

Considering the amount of effort he himself has placed into voicing concern over the lack of leadership in the chamber in the past, one would have expected him to applaud Cllr Simpson for keeping things right.

Considering the amount of effort he himself has placed into voicing concern over the lack of leadership in the chamber in the past, one would have expected him to applaud Cllr Simpson for keeping things right.

I think Dr Wills was looking for leadership more in line with his own agendas.

I do agree with Wills about the house though, that needed a debate.

His motives are often right, it's his behaviour which lets him down in my opinion. As I said before, I believe he is capable of so much more, if only...

OP8S, there's plenty, I'm sure, but this thread is about this topic and folk are choosing to exercise their right to discuss it. There are other threads you could contribute to, if it offends you. Personally, I believe the public conduct of an elected representative, while he is supposedly acting on our behalf, is worthy of discussion.

To be quite honest I find the length of this thread almost as a comical as the episode of Fawlty Towers. Is there no other news worthy of speaking about in Shetland just now ?

Like i said big fish tiny pond, over personalised politics.....shudder

WOW I can't believe this has run on for 7 pages!

Given that the gutter press never report anything without making it out to be more than it was so that folk'll want to read it; for the sun's buyers are not going to spend their money on humdrum; it seems to me this is just an unfortunate, laps of judgment on the part of JW when he has in a frustraiting disscusion. It comes as no surprise to me that such a gesture would be what comes to his mind at that 'moment' so soon after holding the silence, simple assosiation slipping out when it would have been better held in. I'm sure a lot of us have found ourselves doing and saying things we later regret when faced with disscusions that are frustraitingly going nowhere.

Look to ourselves befor passing judgment on another.....

To err is human....

It may be a failing on my part, but I only forgive folk who are sorry for what they've done. Absolutely NOTHING he has said so far indicates Dr W is even remotely sorry for what he did. Instead it's self-justification after more extreme self-justification.

I would say again, stop making excuses for him. Those of you who are parents, I would like to think you wouldn't tolerate such behavior from a bairn, so why from an adult - especially one in a position of responsibility.

There's a culture in this country, in politics - via the media - of waiting a couple of days after an incident and then trotting out the (perfected by Blair & Partners, Inc) same old lines "It's time to draw a line under this and move on with the business of politics". That's what all the apologists here are doing with their not-quite-so-subtle and really quite condescending "Sniff! Oh my! Is

this REALLY all you people have to do with your time? Oh dear!"

It's this sort of culture which, IMO, leads to the all too common repeats of bad or unacceptable behaviour on the parts of the people we have elected to represent us. This IS something I address at the Ballot Box, before you start in. If I can't trust the way a representative behaves - for instance, acting in their own interests, more than their constituents - then even if they have the best policies going (on paper, rarely delivered!) it gives me pause for thought.

I can't help but feel the likes of Dr W have had too many "lines drawn" in the past, or allowances made by apologists and supporters. He is, by no means, alone in this and ultimately this boorish behaviour and self-serving sniping detracts from the job they are there to do, and get paid - out of public funds - to do. That's represent us, remember. So why SHOULD we tolerate and apologise for this behaviour, rather than expect an apology and an assurance that IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN. I don't want or expect to see the end of his political career and, if such was to look likely, I would speak out against this. But I DO expect him to be man enough to admit his mistakes. No more "Aaw but Mam, he started it!" immaturity. Is that too much to ask? Clearly it is...

Those of you bemused by the length of this thread (who by strange coincidence happen to support him), maybe you should stop and read something else, if it irritates you?

I'm not irritated, just surprised that such a story can pull 7 pages of disscusion. If you reread, I also didn't say i support him either, just that I understand that people are prone to making blunders and that I for one can be understanding about this and not get dragged into the tabloids self serving lambasting.

^^ Ironically Cllr Wills has been much more detailed and sensational in his recounting of the incident than the tabloid article was. The combination of that, and that he doesn't seem to understand the extreme nature of his actions, is what has kept the thread running so long. Understandably so.

The self serving lambasting seems to run both ways here, though. I am not a suuporter of either man. Just that having been elected to serve us, I expect them to be able to put aside their petty dislike of one another and work together to serve their community.

Maybe he behaves in an autocratic fashion (I dont know him and cant say, though in this instance it seems there WAS a vote and the MAJORITY voted WITH him... Hmmmm, I thought they called that democracy?) but to liken the conduct of Josie Simpson to Saddam or Hitler? Come on, get a grip. Is he having his opponents children blinded and strangled for going against him? Or feeding people into a garbage shredder while still alive? Is he having communities poison gassed, or rounded up and put into camps, shaved, stripped, dehumanised, gassed and burned to ash? Is he promoting ethnic cleansing? Or the invasion of Orkney or Scandinavia? Are his family members driven around in motorcades of large white customised cars, raping or shooting whoever takes their fancy without impunity?

Who has been attacked the most here, or denigrated? A sense of proportion? It seems the good doctor and his supporters lack both.