Jonathan Wills Nazi salute?

Talonx

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Wills was taking the mick out of what he believed to be someone over-exerting their authority, and as he is referencing the Third Reich, he's referring to them as a group who over-exerted their authority - yeah, he's not admiring the Nazi's he's taking the mick. quote.

What if he'd used the n****r word to take the mickey (or in other words insult co-workers) - would that be also OK?

You can't even compare that word to the word 'Nazi'. You're using a ludicrously extreme example which just doesn't work.

I dont think the people of Norway are laughing at Nazi jokes right now?

Would you draw your line of behaviour acceptability on a position based on "as long as it doesn't upset yourself then it must be ok", or would you also include the reasonable sensitivities of the rest of society?

No, I wouldn't. Free speech gives you the freedom to be a jerk if you want to be. You're asking me about drawing lines but you're the one doing it - where do you stop with Freedom of Speech? Society will ostracize anyone who disregards the social norm of 'if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all' and people who don't appeal to the sensitivities will suffer for it. I'd go more along the physical or mental harm rather than offendedness - I don't see a joke as mental harm while I would see mental harm as harassment of, say, neighbours.

It says on the news that you're experiencing sunny weather in Shetland today.

It is sunny by normal Shetland standards. I.e. its not raining and its quite warm. Stop complaining, could be worse.

Some people just can't help complaining though, no matter how trivial the matter is.

The letter is quite correct, you cannot move until you have defined the move.

This is where I think that S.I.C. should move to a Cabinet. This then would ensure that a Scrutiny Committee was set up as well as a Governance Committee.

The good thing about Scrutiny Committees is they can call and scrutinise anything to do with council business, including appointments, policing, NHS and other public bodies.

It also means that such interpretations by the chair can be take to task.

If your chair and vice chair are making it up as they go along to see fit a situation then there is a problem

Ah!! at last we have the "unbiased and imparial" account of what really took place. Thank goodness everything has been cleared up.

An "ironic gesture" (aka Nazi Salute accompanied by NSDAP slogan) and the assuarance that ....."I will continue to protest if they act in this dictatorial manner".

Maybe Jake Davis (aka Topiary (allegedly)) can look forward to the same sort of rapid response tactics and will benifit from similar gushing and sychophantic support that "ironic gestures" seem to be greeted with on Shetlink even before they are explained by their guru.

Then again......maybe not, after all he is not "important".

What a bizarre way to run a council :o It seems that though all concillers are equal in status that some are more equal than others.

As Jim Royale would say " democracy my a%&e ! ", the Shetland public need to address this situation, unless of course they are happy with the way councillers can now basically gag their counterparts just because they disagree with the chosen three.

Ern... excuse me, but after all the hoo-ha on here from several about the nasty old "grass" who breached codes of conduct, etc, by disclosing an occurrence (entirely unrelated to the subject being discussed at the time) in a "secret" council meeting, has the good Doctor not just done exactly that, with whistles, bells and knobs on by writing this letter? Does one of you want to explain what "secret" means to him...?

I have no great issue with the man. He is as unproductive as all the rest of them. But, after the whole Clarke scenario, this "man in rhe white suit/me against the world" schtick is getting more than a bit tiresome. Whatever his moral compass points to, he should abide by the same rules as others.

If the "grass" breached the code, Dr W has smashed it to pieces, run over it in his car and reversed back and fore several times... :roll:

Ern... excuse me, but after all the hoo-ha on here from several about the nasty old "grass" who breached codes of conduct, etc, by disclosing an occurrence (entirely unrelated to the subject being discussed at the time) in a "secret" council meeting, has the good Doctor not just done exactly that, with whistles, bells and knobs on by writing this letter? Does one of you want to explain what "secret" means to him...?

I have no great issue with the man. He is as unproductive as all the rest of them. But, after the whole Clarke scenario, this "man in rhe white suit/me against the world" schtick is getting more than a bit tiresome. Whatever his moral compass points to, he should abide by the same rules as others.

If the "grass" breached the code, Dr W has smashed it to pieces, run over it in his car and reversed back and fore several times... :roll:

Everyone is as bad as each other, whoever blabbed in the first place in doing so lowered themselves to the level Wills operated at previously. Ever since the "spanish inquisition" that followed Clarkie's vanishing trick Wills has kinda given the impression that he was trying to behave himself, but his letter just proves nothing has really changed, he's still operating at that level. He just missed a golden opportunity to prove that he'd learned something since the Clarkie days, he could have extremely easily written that letter to convey the same overall message equally as well without giving the item specific details of what was being debated at the moment the incident occured, thus avoiding any breach of secrecy accusations. More fool him, it just proves he's neither as smart, nor as competent a self-publicist as he thinks he is.