Solar Power

shetlandpeat

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They get to keep the grant, this offsets the thousands it does cost them. The GOV are looking to cut the grant for medium solar arrays. So a housing estate could not power services centrally, ie street lighting, without footing the whole bill themselves, and of course passing it on to the cost of the houses. 20-30% would have to be affordable, especially when Govs adopt their LDF plans

Hmm, £99, is that per solar panel, they do not seem to make that clear. Certainly a good deal down in England but not a lot of output here in these northern climes especially these last two weeks, cannot see there being any surplus at all, also I would be a bit concerned about this bold statement, quote :-Your roof will remain watertight

no matter what size system we install.

Save money on your bills

SolarExchange helps you save money and control your bills. Solar panels can

generate free electricity all year round (even when it’s cloudy) and most households

can save about a third per year

on their energy bills. Over 25 years, this could save

you thousands of pounds.

Generally spoken - yes, solar energy is a good idea.

But... if the panels generate free electricity (in an amount which makes it worth to feed into the grid) then how can it be that only a third on the individual energy bill can be saved?

Does that not sound as if the amount which the owner of the house can use of this energy is limited?

We do have a lot of solar panels on roofs here in Southern Bavaria. And the average size on a farm house does generate enough electricity for normal domestic appliances. Only washing machines or dishwashers need more energy which cannot always be generated when needed (problems of solar energy is still the batteries).

So the average solar installation here is far too big for the need of one house and therefore farmers feed into the grid for an additional income (which is for many the only reason why they install such a system at all...).

Which? recently reported on these schemes. The verdict seemed to be that the 'rent a roof' types were generally bad value for the home owner and that you'd be far better off buying the panels yourself in the long term.

I think it's worth shopping around for deals like this as some of them are considerably better value than others.

I have seen a few solar panels installed around Lerwick and on some further afield. I did notice that some were for heating water.

Patzel, the GOV here pay you to have the solar panels, this can be around 1000 GBP or more. What this and other deals are about is that the owner of the panels keeps the grant, this pays for the cost and upkeep of the panels, which is about 15,000 to 25,000 GBP which I have read. The owners install it on your roof.

There is a regulator that feeds the power to your internal wiring, so if the sun is out, you would draw less from the grid. If you are away and are not using any power bar the fridge, you feed back into the grid.

If your power demand is low, there is a possibility you could benefit quite allot.

I have seen the new spec houses being built, and the end results. They have rainwater catchment, light tubes to bring daylight into the darker areas of the house, solar panels and wind generators.

Sadly, these housed cost about 20,000 GBP more.

At least there is movement on this.

It does mention this..

You own and live in your home which is two storeys or less

I would think that a bungalow is included, if not there are other schemes that may work.

One of the problems really would be doing it this way or raising the cash to do it privately.

Another problem may be when selling your house. If you have bought your house as a home, I always wonder why then folk start saying they will loose money, some buy a house for life.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the tariffs were to end.

There are some other interesting solar devices, extractors and Light pipes.

There are some quite neat things here, but they are not the only suppliers.

http://www.solatube.co.uk/

I think solar power is worth thinking about, I think (if i ever do) build my extention then I would quite like it to be solar powered! and im hoping cheaper than normal electric, especially with price rises! although I shouldnt complain my last bill for 3 months for ehating and electric was pennies.....

I think solar power is worth thinking about, I think (if i ever do) build my extention then I would quite like it to be solar powered! and im hoping cheaper than normal electric, especially with price rises! although I shouldnt complain my last bill for 3 months for ehating and electric was pennies.....

agree, now solar power isnt widespread in the world and rather expensive.