Solar Power

shetlandpeat

^ Have forgotten what he said as I had already convinced myself I did not want it. energy saving trust Scotland has a fairly realistic calculator here, gives me a payback time of 16 years with my quote. :-

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/Generate-your-own-energy/Solar-panels-PV/Solar-Energy-Calculator

As the guy said, how to look at it is that's money thrown away to the electric company. Just a pity the feed in tariff now reduced to 21p or I would probably have gone for it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see EST and da local renewable forum are doing an open house day in Brae dis Saturday at which dey are showing a solar PV in situ.

From what I have heard this company are slighty overestimating generation, and as stilldellin has pointed out EST hiv a good solar calculator and also a local guy up here dat provides free and impartial advice fir dem. It is worth double checking we dem first.

what happens if the roof needs repairing. i can't see a roof not needing work for 25 years. are they sure that the pannels will cope with the strong winds. I am just thinking if the wind started to lift them would it take the roof with it.

if it free and saves you money go for it. but a 15-18 year pay back would be to long.

the panels are fixed to metal brackets which are bolted to the roof trusses so i cannot see how it could possibly take the whole roof with it, they have installed hundreds of units in orkney and they withstood last winters gales

This may be of interest - extract taken from here

http://www.realassurance.org.uk/news/non-compliance-activity-in-2010

During 2010 the REAL Assurance Scheme continued to monitor members’ compliance with its Consumer Code robustly. The Panel met 7 times during 2010 and held three Hearings. During the course of non-compliance proceedings, three companies resigned from the Scheme: Affordable Solar Energy, Clear Sky Solar UK and Solar Fusion.

Two companies were suspended from the Scheme as a result of an investigation the REAL Assurance Scheme carried out into the allegations of non-compliance made by Which? in its May 2010 report: Everest Ltd (now Everest Energy Ltd) and Ideal Solar Energy Ltd. After they had provided certain undertakings and assurances concerning their future compliance with the Code, both companies had their suspensions lifted, subject to a one-year probationary period.

One company, Solar Power Scotland, was suspended from the Scheme in 2009 for non-compliance, had its suspension lifted in February 2010, subject to a one-year probationary period due to be reviewed in February 2011.[/b]

They are currently listed as a member and I have have to say I did not encounter any sales pressure. He said they had been inundated and was blyde to be heading back home.

http://www.realassurance.org.uk/scheme/members

take it you got a visit?

u going to get some?

whats the cost like?

whats the pay back?

how many did they offer you for the size of your roof?

I'm quite interested in getting it myself but didnt appreceate the cold call

Pay-back periods are dependant on your current electricity consumption so every individual will have a different pay-back period. The less electricity you use the quicker pay-back period as you are feeding back into the grid more.

To some extent, but you will only get a few pence for the units which are "sold" into the grid (50%?) Payback time will be determined by FIT payments on total electricity produced - the FIT for solar WAS about 40 pence per unit produced, regardless of whether you used it yourself or not, but now dropping to 21 pence.

Pay-back periods are dependant on your current electricity consumption so every individual will have a different pay-back period. The less electricity you use the quicker pay-back period as you are feeding back into the grid more.

Actually the more you consume the quicker your payback as you will be saving your 14 or so pence you currently pay for electricity you import on top of the FIT for generation as opposed to 3p you getf from exporting.

I saw a spreadsheet that this company had produced and it was using SAP which is a method that does not take into account where the panels are located in the UK!

I think I mentioned before but the Energy Saving Trust provide free and impartial home visits that will accurately calculate your payback