Riots in London

@ JA Stewart.

Could it be said that Human rights have gone to far and that the balance of what was before and what is now has been passed?

All though i do not stand for the hitting of children there has to come a point where people have to be disciplined and made to take responcibility for their actions, Im afraid i am not even going to try and suggest how this is done as there is never going to be one sure fired way that works for everyone.

To quote someoen close to me, if only there was a manual on how to bring up a kid like there is for every other adventure you take in life then society wouldnt be the way it is.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am highly surprised by the following quote in the above article:

Forensic officers have told the IPCC it may not be possible to "say for certain" whether the handgun found near Duggan was fired.

My understanding of firearms forensics is that the science is, and has been for some time, very sophisticated in terms of determining whether or not guns have been fired, as well as by whom, and when. I therefore wonder why they are making this statement? Perhaps Mr Sherlock can tell me where my grasp of the efficacy of such forensics is wrong?

[Tongue in cheek] send said gun to Abb's of NCIS fame and she'd soon suss it! :wink:

I got a good old smack when I was younger, I dont see the problem with it so long as its not a full scale beating! I got grounded lots too, presents taken away from me one year! My parents werent really strict but they knew what the best way to raise their kids was.

Its done me no harm....

The only way to deal with this sub culture is going to be long and take a couple of generations, the same length of time that created it.

I am not calling for cuts in benefits, this would lead to more active criminality to make up the short fall (some would find work but most would not and see employment as a mugs game)

My first move would be to demand contraceptive implants prior to anyone going on any form of state funded benefits (both male and females) and to continue on benefits you need to continue receiving contraceptives implants. Within a couple of generations you will breed this drain on society out of existence.

Quite an extreme view viblir, one that would cost our already cash-strapped NHS a huge amount of money. Would you not prefer just to adopt the ideals of that fellow with the funny little moustache that liked to be saluted in a certain manner & just start up the gas chambers again ?

Far more economical & you wouldn't have the problem of even having to pay out any state benefits at all. That's the most ridiculous, not to mention fascistic statement yet. :shock:

The recent “riots†are down to one thing, the chance to get something for nothing.

Shoplifting on a large scale, with a bit of hell raising thrown in for fun.

The Sub culture question:-

The growth of the benefit dependant population has continued to grow, (something for nothing) until it has reached a critical mass. Not all the rioters were but the majority were benefit dependent and young,

The only way to deal with this sub culture is going to be long and take a couple of generations, the same length of time that created it.

I am not calling for cuts in benefits, this would lead to more active criminality to make up the short fall (some would find work but most would not and see employment as a mugs game)

My first move would be to demand contraceptive implants prior to anyone going on any form of state funded benefits (both male and females) and to continue on benefits you need to continue receiving contraceptives implants. Within a couple of generations you will breed this drain on society out of existence.

Wow, a genuine, real life Eugenicist (or to use the more colloquial term - Nazi.) :shock:

Can we keep him, Mods? Please? I'm sure he will provide us with all sorts of interesting entertainment. :twisted:

Master/Mistress Maywick,

Even the best detective (and I shall not lay claim to such hubris) requires some clue. You have altogether lost me on this one. :?:

Mister - as already posted on this very site.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Merely a little tongue-in-cheek (or the written variant thereof) poke at the assumption that (Mister) EM gleaned his knowledge of firearm forensics from the telly (which I presumed you meant by Mister Logie Baird's goggle-box). A trifling point and one not to detract from this debate.

Before handguns were banned I used to take part in target shooting competitions and one thing I would find was the my hand was covered in tiny black particles which came from when the bullet was fired and the cartridge ejected from the breach. There was also a fairly distinctive smell along the back of the hand and up the forearm. If Mark Duggan had fired a gun I'm pretty sure there would have been some evidence of it on his body, if I can tell by smelling my hand I've fired a pistol I'm pretty sure it's because of residues left there from the cartridge being fired, surely the police have tests to check for the main components of propellant.

I think this article pretty much nails it, and from the Torygraph no less:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100100708/the-moral-decay-of-our-society-is-as-bad-at-the-top-as-the-bottom/

The Prime Minister showed no sign that he understood that something stank about yesterday’s Commons debate. He spoke of morality, but only as something which applies to the very poor: “We will restore a stronger sense of morality and responsibility – in every town, in every street and in every estate.†He appeared not to grasp that this should apply to the rich and powerful as well.

The tragic truth is that Mr Cameron is himself guilty of failing this test. It is scarcely six weeks since he jauntily turned up at the News International summer party, even though the media group was at the time subject to not one but two police investigations. Even more notoriously, he awarded a senior Downing Street job to the former News of the World editor Andy Coulson, even though he knew at the time that Coulson had resigned after criminal acts were committed under his editorship. The Prime Minister excused his wretched judgment by proclaiming that “everybody deserves a second chanceâ€. It was very telling yesterday that he did not talk of second chances as he pledged exemplary punishment for the rioters and looters.

Is it any surprise though as MPs have very little or no idea about what life is like for the 95% of society that they rule over. Even the Head of The Metropolitian Police appeared somewhat peeved at the PM's remarks on the news the other night.

It was predicted by many people, that when the Tories regained power that there would be an increase in civil-unrest on the streets again & was unfortunetly proved to be the case very soon when the students protested.

There does not seem to be much of a choice in British politics in this day & age, it's either right wing capitalism, or " new ( ? ) " labours slightly less right wing policies. The lib/dems are just happy to be anybodies lapdog as long as they get a few MPs into Government. Any alternative parties don't stand much of a chance.

IMO the British political system needs a good shake up, but this will never happen while the multi-national corporations are real the ones pulling the strings.