Shetland Shops

service 2nd to none, shops... s**t.

i think whoever makes the decision about new stores opening in the town centre needs a reality check, as the big clothes store, music stores, food chains etc are the streets only hope of surving against a certain supermarket & internet shopping.

but as this is shetland and the folk who make the decisions do not seek change nor progress within lerwick... the big stores from the mainland will never be allowed in.

:roll: The reality is anyone of the high street chains can purchase a premises on Commercial Street and start retailing. Do you have a logical reason why they don't??? Here's a clue...lack of customers!

Cheers

Guest CyprusPluto

I've generally found the staff in the shops on the street very helpful and friendly.

The comparison would be to shop in a large town/city and then reassess

I think the staff in most shops are good, however the conditions and quality of stock they work in/with can be quite dire. for example JRWhites can have a wonderfull window display - looks promising you might think? untill you walk in the door and you are zapped back into the 80s with 'old' clothes packed rails that you look in the door think can i be arsed to hunt through that? NO! them move on. (dont they go south and look how the new shops display clothes?)

Hangin baskets and getting grants to paint the building you own and should do yer self wont get me into your shop to buy old tat. Quality products, competitive pricing, services, inc. good service when something brakes etc. give you through word of mouth high standing in the community, thus we will buy more from you. its the owners that need to wake up.

The same can be said with the quality of the pubs in lerwick. when was any of them done up? They all need a dam good clean, freshing up and new furniture. Due to the lack of anywhere else to go the just do nothing and we go and give them our money, god only knows what visitors must think on our mankie pubs/bars. yet again its the staff that work for the owners that makes them good.

I wid always raydir buy stuff fae shetland shops, but a lot o dem dusna seem ta ken whit dey hiv in dir shops, if you ax onything dey dunna ken da answer, and dunna even budir goin ta fin oot for you, it's lik haalin teeth. A couple o times Ive no even been able ta fin onybody ta buy da thing fae, or it's peerie bairns wirkin on Saturdays and dir too busy sheeksin atween demsels ta serve you.

Guest CyprusPluto

The same can be said with the quality of the pubs in lerwick. when was any of them done up? They all need a dam good clean, freshing up and new furniture. Due to the lack of anywhere else to go the just do nothing and we go and give them our money, god only knows what visitors must think on our mankie pubs/bars. yet again its the staff that work for the owners that makes them good.

Totally agree

• 3 years later...

Is the folk at the ness a bunch a "Drooths" that the closure of Da keg is so important to the takeover of the shop by the Co-op! 

It would appear that the income from Da Keg is so lucrative, that it is necessary to support the rest of the Co-op business.

Could be I see it wrong and that there is another reason! 

Da Ness very likely still has its fair share of drooths, the same as everywhere else. It always used to anyway.

I really don't understand why this has made any kind of "news". From the info currently available it would appear the Coop want to sell alcohol from within the main retail area rather than seperate premises, which is in keeping with their standard trading model. There is booze, there's going to continue to be booze, its just moving a few feet SE. Maybe I've missed something, but so far all I'm seeing is "Non-story" stamped all over it.

Aye, I'd much rather it stayed independent. I remain to be convinced a shop with the Coop will be any cheaper than it is there right now, and then there's the stock lines, which will remain to be seen. A local owner whom you know personally will usually try as best they can to tailor stock to individual needs and requests, a corporate body may or may not be willing to offer that level of "personal" service.