CCTV yet again a waste

Ironwithin

The only policeman that successfully used the Lerwick cctv to solve a crime was Jimmie Perez in one of the episodes of "Shetland"

Anything that won't work is a waste of time,but I'm sure if we had a system that did it would prove useful from time to time and probably save pounds by reducing the time spent by police officers trying to locate and identify offenders.

Probably bad for police officers overtime! 

^ Is there really that much 'crime' on the street and Esplanade to justify the initial and running costs of any CCTV set up? They've managed to get rid of the Friday/Saturday night drunk crowds (and taken out a few businesses in collateral damage....) which generated the vast majority of the 'crime' (if the odd broken windae an fecht can be termed that) there used to be, and daytime 'crime' was virtually unheard of when the street was much busier. Now with much less folk, unless at least every second person in the place is kicking turd out of the flowerpots or filling their pockets in shops, there's just not enough folk there now to be hoodlums and naer do wells in any problematic number.

Car insurers are now giving discounts to motorists who have dash cams.

Photographic  evidence saves time and money and with modern technology these cameras would not have to be monitored 24/7,they would simply have to record and only scrutinized as and when the need arose

Cameras strategically placed,would be a deterrent,but they have to work and we the public have to be made aware of when they are used to convict offenders,then we would know if it is value for money.

So far it is what £240,000 + down the drain.

Just going to point this out. if they are going to upgrade the cameras, keeping them where they are surely the cost would be lower? I mean they won’t need to plan for the location of the cameras, speaking to building owners, speaking to power companies and contractors to lay cables ect, as this is already done? So, all they need is the hardware and the man hours of setting this up? maybe a local company or collection of local companies could do this? then all the council/police would have to do is call and get it fixed, quicker than these south companies that wait for more things to stop working and still make them pay a big maintenance contract and never turning up to do it? After all was it not a local company that put the cctv in the hospital? Been there a while and it looks like it’s still got plenty a good image on it. So unless they’re going to put more cameras up (and don’t go overboard with the fancy functions that they will never use) I would have thought it would be cheaper than the original.

After all was it not a local company that put the cctv in the hospital?

Where in the hosiptal? :shock:

Why?

Well I can see them in the roof of the waiting areas, and a big monitor in reception. Why not sure but I have been there when the police have been called to deal with aggressive drunk/drugged "patients" assaulting staff, so I guess that could be why, also maybe if one of the older dementia suffers goes out by themselves someone could get an idea when and what way they went. It’s not a new thing it’s been there at least 5/6 years. There is also a CCTV sign on the building and the cameras are well fairly obvious when you look at the roof.

I'd heard the plastic lens covers haven't been kept clean, and this has contributed to the problem with the camera's.

I guess Lerwick won't be appearing anytime soon on "Caught on Camera"

They may as well have had a plod up on a watchtower akin to Baywatch with a pair o binoculars !

Complete shambles the whole project.

Edited by suuusssiiieee

Why?

Well I can see them in the roof of the waiting areas, and a big monitor in reception. Why not sure but I have been there when the police have been called to deal with aggressive drunk/drugged "patients" assaulting staff, so I guess that could be why, also maybe if one of the older dementia suffers goes out by themselves someone could get an idea when and what way they went. It’s not a new thing it’s been there at least 5/6 years. There is also a CCTV sign on the building and the cameras are well fairly obvious when you look at the roof.

Cheers. If its just the public areas readily accessible from the entrance, thats fine, and probably an understandable thing to have for the reasons you've said.

When I saw it first I wondered if they were fitted throughout the wards etc, and while I could understand from a staff point of view why that might have its uses, as a patient I'm pretty sure I'd feel it was crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed. Its bad enough being poked, prodded and peered at regularly by those you can see when you're ill or knocked lumps out of yourself without having folks snooping on what few private moments you can steal.

I've not been in the building since the beginning of 1999, and if I'm never back in it again it will be several lifetime's far too soon, so I have no clue what they've been doing to the place, but the fewer surprises that are in store the better in case I do wake up in the place someday.

Why?

Surprised to see you ask why, hospital staff are in danger off getting attacked and abused from clients who are drunk,or stupified through drugs so cameras are essential for the well being of staff and anyone else who is in the firing line when someone kicks off.

Also useful if someone should make a claim against staff or anyone else who may have had to restrain them in these days of mitigation and litigation.

The camera will not lie.  

Edited by Urabug