Radio 1 and Radio 1 DJs

Jonners

The people holding out hope for help from radio 1 should have heard the Chris Moyles show this morning.

They had a quiz like they sometimes do in the morning among themselves - with one of the questions being - "Which is the most Northerly: The Outer Hebrides, The Orkneys, The Shetlands?".

First off the bat, this question would go well with the thread elsewhere on this board referring to whether it's Shetland or Shetlands (my take is its Shetland!) ...

... anyway ... they all answered "The Outer Hebrides", or "The Orkneys" apart from Aled who correctly answered "Shetland" ... but was drowned out by the rest ...

I think it was Trout who posted this on the Sakchai thread, but I think it deserves a thread of itself. I groaned when I heard this too. I like Moyles and I was disappointed he didn't know where Shetland was!

What should happen now - in a Birmingham journalist-stylee - is that VisitShetland get the Chris Moyles show to come up to Shetland and do the show from the BBC studios in Lerwick.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that VisitShetland have a bottomless pit of money to fly people into the isles to give a positive impression of the place.

Mark Radcliffe will be here in a couple of weeks time doing his show from the BBC studios. With Springwatch on at the moment showing some great footage I would say the BBC is giving a very positive view of Shetland at the moment.

Nothing wrong with Chris Moyles but the BBC can send him up rather any of Shetlands organisations having to shell out for it.

Nothing wrong with Chris Moyles but the BBC can send him up rather any of Shetlands organisations having to shell out for it.

Absolutely Hambone - I didn't say VisitShetland should pay for him to come up. They could just 'create the conditions' that would lead to the show coming up, through a bit of clever lobbying. It would certainly generate more column inches than that Birmingham journo, and that generated loads of coverage.

When Idlewild came up here then Chris Moyles made some sort of derogatory remark about it on his show, something along the lines of him going to Ibiza and Steve Lamacq having to go to Shetland. He's only doing his job - he's not supposed to be a 'nice' radio 2 presenter. He is Radio 1's idea of a 'controversial' dj designed to attract a young listernership.

If you listen to the bootleg of the idlewild gig you can hear Tirval Scott shouting "Chris Moyles is a W@nK*r" between songs. :lol:

As Tomblands says - does it matter if Chris Moyles knows where Shetland is?

I think we should be able to have a bit more pride in Shetland and a higher level of self-confidence. I can't see why people get worried about people calling it 'The Shetlands' or whether the place is in the right spot on the weather map. We punch well above our weight in the global context.

And one final point - Chris Moyles is from Leeds. Leeds has a population of 450,000. If you took a blank map of England on to Commercial Street and asked people to point to Leeds I would imagine that most might have a vague idea where it is but only one or two might be able to pinpoint it exactly.

If you took a blank map of England on to Commercial Street and asked people to point to Leeds I would imagine that most might have a vague idea where it is but only one or two might be able to pinpoint it exactly.

I had actually come back on here to quote something very similar - though my take was going to be that I doubt most folk in Shetland, myself included, could seriously answer where even "any" of the English counties are!

I also very seriously doubt that they would concern themselves with a jolly to Shetland when they're scooting off to Berlin, New York etc. etc.

When Idlewild came up here then Chris Moyles made some sort of derogatory remark about it on his show, something along the lines of him going to Ibiza and Steve Lamacq having to go to Shetland.

Having listened to Moyles for the past 9 years, that was probably my favorite ever show, when they were doing Lamacq spotting in Flints!

And one final point - Chris Moyles is from Leeds. Leeds has a population of 450,000. If you took a blank map of England on to Commercial Street and asked people to point to Leeds I would imagine that most might have a vague idea where it is but only one or two might be able to pinpoint it exactly.

Exactly what I thought.

It was nice of Shetland to get a mention, even if it was being called the Shetlands!

Moyles mentioned Shetland a few times during the Idlewild trip and most of it was pretty affectionate. I remember him reading a text from someone who had spotted Steve Lamaq ogling one of the barmaids in Flints.

I still think it would be good for Moyles and co to come to Shetland - they have been to other BBC studio outposts before across the UK including Inverness.

Perhaps we could start a thread on Chrismoyles.net - surely David R Lewis, you are with me on this one?!!

If you listen to the bootleg of the idlewild gig you can hear Tirval Scott shouting "Chris Moyles is a W@nK*r" between songs. :lol:

As Tomblands says - does it matter if Chris Moyles knows where Shetland is?

Marvin's right.

Tirval's dead right. Moylsey!!? Twat.

Chris M is such a fat unfunny annoying ****.

And he was racist to Halle Berry.

I don't like him, getting £600,000 for 2 hours work per day, and his show is awful.

I'm afraid I have to agree. He's a charmless man who, while occasionaly mildy amusing, has nothing to say of any real interest to me whatsoever.

Mark & Lard rocked though!

As with most things, some people will get Moyles and some won't. Fair enough. I think his show is one of the most inventive, funny media things currently on the go in the UK at the moment but I realise he's not appreciated by everyone.

Still think it would be good to get him to do the show from Shetland. Unlike a lot of DJs Moyles at least seems to like getting out into the country, and it would be a good thing for Shetland.

I might get onto this myself ... despite the fact nobody on this board seems to like him!

As with most things, some people will get Moyles and some won't. Fair enough. I think his show is one of the most inventive, funny media things currently on the go in the UK at the moment but I realise he's not appreciated by everyone.

Still think it would be good to get him to do the show from Shetland. Unlike a lot of DJs Moyles at least seems to like getting out into the country, and it would be a good thing for Shetland.

I might get onto this myself ... despite the fact nobody on this board seems to like him!

To be fair, I haven't heard his show for about 3 years, so I'm prepared to accept that he may have improved... at the time I didn't really see what there was to "get". I felt it was all fairly obvious and predicatble to be honest.

Is there anything more to it than just him and his rented pals talking about his weekend in some London bar with various Z-list celebs, slagging them off whilst still managing to constantly drop their names and being generally boring?

Comedy Dave was crap as well!

Still, I'll maybe give it another chance and get back to you... :lol:

Chris M is such a fat unfunny annoying ****.

And he was racist to Halle Berry.

I don't like him, getting £600,000 for 2 hours work per day, and his show is awful.

I love it when people quote that Halle Berry story, who have clearly no idea how Moyles and his show works. There was no racisim at all in that interview, and the whole thing was blown way out of proportion by the media (who the majority of seem to hate Moyles).

I also love it when people use the same old line over and over again. How he talks about drinking beer and good looking women for 3 hours. Thats rubbish. The show is laddish humour, and thats what appeals to people. If you listen to the show enough you can begin to pick up when he is being serious, and when he is being sarcastic. The number of people who say he is such a lovely man off air makes you realise that his on air persona is all an act, and an act which is clearly working.

Comedy Dave, named because he was anything but funny. And I disagree with the name dropping, compared to people like Zoe Ball and Sara Cox its harldy ever done. Moyles happily admits once he's finished the show he goes home and plays the X Box all afternoon!

Least someone on the radio will speak their mind and happily slag off something if they don't like it. Otherwise we'd all have to put up with listening to Jo "kiss ass every band I can" Whiley, Scott "all my features are scripted Mills" or even worse, Terry "if it werent for my listeners emailing in everything, I wouldn't be funny" Wogan.

I suppose he's just like marmite.

With you on the Jo hatred. Everytime I hear her breathlessly endorse every band in the world ("Oooo that's Macy Grey, She's phenomenal! Ohh Keane!! The Darkness are just the best. And here’s the latest masterpiece from the fantastic Coldplay! Ohhh!" SHUT UP YOU SILLY VACUOUS COW!) I get a tad annoyed.

I dunno though, Radio 1 is kinda patronising. The news might as well be hosted by John Craven with a drum loop in the background, except maybe a little more dumbed down and delivered entirely in txt-speak.