School kids in Town

Pleepsie

Last thursday lunchtime, whilst on a visit to Shetland, I witnessed some appalling behaviour on the Street by high school children.

By far the worst was the nasty names shouted at a special needs person who was walking towards the Cross and appeared to be very frightened by the whole episode. The person with the special needs person tried to hurry them away but as the street was literally covered in discarded chips this was not easy, especially as the special needs person was also disabled. Full marks to the carer for keeping calm in a difficult situation.

I also witnessed groups of young boys deliberately barging into old folk, and also making unpleasant remarks to them.

The use of intimidating behaviour was rife.

I didn't intervene as I felt intimidated myself.

Perhaps its time the head teacher stopped children going to town at lunchtimes if this is the general standard of their behaviour.

Heaven knows what tourists must have thought about it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be intimidating for anyone, especially when a large number. Sometimes, however, they don't realise how intimidating they can be and kids will be kids.

Reminds me of how I dealt with a situation in London whereby about 30 would run up and down our road and generally cause mayhem then sit on the wall outside. Two of my neighbours daren't go outside (pensioners). I took photographs, albeit from 4 floors up, and contacted the local school. Thankfully, the Head was sympathetic and took appropriate action - they were never seen in the street again.

The sight that you've witnessed possibly explains the standard of education and discipline of the school.

The bigger shame is these kids are not even afraid of disgracing elderly forget about having respect.

Certainly these kids needs some counselling and a strict attitude for their behavior.

I have never seen anything like this in the town but if i did i would totally intervene and tell them off, if they bardged into my granny id give them more than a clip round the ear, but even if someone did just clip them round the ear they would be arrested, even in school if a teacher shouts at a child for being rude etc and the child cries or whatever and the childs parents come in to school, they dont agree with the teacher they give the teacher greif, it happened all the time when i was at school. the goverment needs to change some of its rules and get parents and teachers the respect they have lost.

They were not 'kids being kids' they were deliberately harrassing people and having spoken to people since this occured, I find that it is regular behaviour.

I am afraid that 'telling off' a large group of young people in a confrontational mood was not something I felt up to.

Next time anyone sees this sort of behaviour, take scoots advice and call the Police - I wish I had!

The sight that you've witnessed possibly explains the standard of education and discipline of the school.

Come on!!! Surely the buck stops with the parents for lack of discipline???

As far as education, I attended the AHS and the education is second to none, I think its very unfair to blame the school.

I work with adults with learning disabilities and i can say i've never witnessed this kind of discrimination in Shetland, this was a disgraceful incident and should have been reported to the police.

At the risk of upsetting the shops that these kids frequent while at the street in the dinner hour, where would the school stand on banning pupils from leaving the school grounds during the school day???

At the risk of upsetting the shops that these kids frequent while at the street in the dinner hour, where would the school stand on banning pupils from leaving the school grounds during the school day???

If you really did attend the Anderson you'd know the answer to that one. the school does not have enough catering facilities to cope with even half of the pupils that attend. the only way it would even be remotely possible is by a complete rethink on the timetabling.

And as for the Anderson "education is second to none" is a myth I often hear, if you even look at basic exam results you'll see that this is far from true, and BASIC is the operative word.

Come on!!! Surely the buck stops with the parents for lack of discipline???

As far as education, I attended the AHS and the education is second to none, I think its very unfair to blame the school.

True but as i said, how can parents discipline there children when it is against the law to hit them, i know you can tell them they are grounded but really?

The AHS is great with great teachers, i just wish they had more support with over reacting parents

If you want to blame someone, I would be looking for governmental (the last part of the word pretty much sums up the government ) idiot sat in a cosy little room with lots of cute fluffy bunnies skipping merrily while the birds sing and the sun shines, completely detached from the ways of the world, who decided to put people into boxes,and making any form of discipline impossible, parents, teachers even the police have their hands tied these days, and kids know it, they have become untouchable due to the p.c brigade and the lets put people into boxes prats. if you report these kids there will be a thousand reasons why these poor kids are the real victims and should be packed off on a holiday some where, leaving their victims to pick up the bill by tax increases. try harassing the government instead. what i really find disgusting is the fact that the schools catering department do not have the means to support the number of pupils, if that is true, then that for my mind is worth taking up with the government. schools are responsible for the welfare of kids left in their care, yet they cant do this effectively if they dont have the means

If the School can't cope with catering for all the pupils, then let those who currently leave the premises to buy their lunch bring a packed lunch. I am sure an empty class room could be found to use as a 'lunch' room.

It would have to be better than the current lunch arrangement which seems to consist of pupils purchasing large bags of chips and scattering them along the street.

its down to the school. only those going home for lunch should be allowed out. what happens if there was a fire how would they know were the pupils were. as for them messing about on the street the attention of the headmaster should be drawn to there conduct. allowing them to get junk food from the street must go against the healthy school concept.

Where is plod in all this???

Back in the day when one was one of the AHS "thugs and ruffians", dinner hour and 4-5pm a couple of plod was more or less omnipresent on foot patrol. It prevented a lot of stuff starting, as no-one knew when they might saunter round a corner or up/down a lane and close it down. If anything did start that they were aware of, it was more hassle to be hassled by them than starting it was worth, they went on, and on, and on, and on, and on.............. :roll: :lol:

Been there, done that, bored senseless by it.....