School kids in Town

Pleepsie

Pleepsie next time you see behaviour like that call the cops, the genuinely tough amongst the bairns won't care but they ones who actually are scared of their parents or being in trouble will crap themselves. It will also show that folk aren't willing to stand by and let them behave like a pack of animals.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sight that you've witnessed possibly explains the standard of education and discipline of the school.

Come on!!! Surely the buck stops with the parents for lack of discipline???

As far as education, I attended the AHS and the education is second to none, I think its very unfair to blame the school.

I find myself wholeheartedly disagreeing with this.

When children are in the care of the school, the teachers are In Loco Parentis. It is up to the school as an institution charged with the care of children to ensure their safety and good behaviour during this period.

The Anderson High has always been poor at this to my mind, during the 80's I would often spend my lunchtimes either climbing the cliffs at the Knab or looking for fights at the street, neither of which activity my parents would have encouraged or remotely approved of but the school seemed not to care a fig - nothing changes it appears.

Regarding a "second to none" education, I suspect the results achieved at the AHS are more a reflection of the general attitude of Shetland parents towards education than any great methods employed by the school, as I found the education I received to be a rather boring and by rote experience.

Not saying either of us is right or wrong here as we're just recalling how it was for us individually.

At the risk of upsetting the shops that these kids frequent while at the street in the dinner hour, where would the school stand on banning pupils from leaving the school grounds during the school day???

If you really did attend the Anderson you'd know the answer to that one. the school does not have enough catering facilities to cope with even half of the pupils that attend. the only way it would even be remotely possible is by a complete rethink on the timetabling.

And as for the Anderson "education is second to none" is a myth I often hear, if you even look at basic exam results you'll see that this is far from true, and BASIC is the operative word.

I can assure you MJ, i certainly did attend the AHS for my secondary education, and as this was more than 15 years ago i have no idea what the school now provides in terms of catering facilities.

As for the AHS offering 'BASIC' education, I think many would argue that.

I can assure you MJ, i certainly did attend the AHS for my secondary education, and as this was more than 15 years ago i have no idea what the school now provides in terms of catering facilities.

it's only 17years since I left the Anderson, at that stage they were saying the new school they were about to build would be able to provide the lunch facilities desperately required. Luckily staying in the hostel this was not a problem I had to deal with.

As for the AHS offering 'BASIC' education, I think many would argue that.

As for the education, I left Shetland believing that myth, visited schools across Scotland, and got a shock. Meeting young people from across the world you really do learn how poor Scottish Education has become, and within that how limited choices are for Shetland bairns in the schools here.

Even better that many children still don't know where they'll be taught in 2years time, because 15years warning that the system was going to change wasn't enough for the SIC education dept, who denied the change even as it was front page news on the mainland.

My recall of the AHS (albeit 32 years ago), was that the "problem" even then, (and probably one that had existed at least since the '64 extension was built), was that there were no outdoor "casual recreation" area(s) whatsoever. It was the first and only one of the seven school buildings I was forced to attend, that did not have such a facility.

If you chose to stay at the building during intervals, you had the choice of hanging around some packed out corridor or small hallway, designed for people to pass through, not congretate in. Or, around the main door or access road/car park. All places which you inevitably crossed paths with folk you'd have happily seen in the ground, and folk who'd have happily seen you in the ground.

Heading off to the street, or somewhere, defused many a situation that otherwise could/would have escalated in to much worse, and also allowed those of us with no fondness for either, building, what occured in it, nor the staff who ran it, to get something of a break/breather with everything about it well out of sight and out of mind, which achieved the same results.

If the entire roll (except those going home at lunchtime) were to be confined to the grounds, given how much more they are cramped now than they were even in '78, I would forsee assaults/GBH/murder becoming a realistic possibility due to the incresed tension.

Bluntly, when you share a cramped space with 999 other teens with all the volatility and pent up energy that goes with being one, there are fequently times putting a significant distance between yourself and one or two of them is vital to avoiding bloodshed.

As much as I think the behaviour of these children is terrible, but you can hardly blame the school for lack of education! The issue is about manners, respect and behaviour all of which is taught at home and built on in the school. Shetland schools are amongst the best in Scotland for the level of education available to pupils. Surely the responsibility of manners, respect and behaviour of children ends with the parents. As a parent myself, I would never expect the school to take the blame for my child misbehaving. Thankfully my children do know manners, respect and how to behave.

As far as the arguement of "local parentis" of the school is concerned, am I not right in saying pupils are not allowed to leave the school premises without parental consent and pupils having to "sign out"? Once parents give permission for their children to leave the premises then local parentis of the school does not apply until the bell goes at the end of lunch. Also if a child has left the school without consent (and misbehaved), how can they deal with the issue if they don't know and people just complaining on shetlink?

We shouldn't stop the kids going to the street. Why make life for the street businesses any more difficult?

We all did silly things when we were kids. No one is perfect.

There is a difference, a massive one, between silly and intimidating/offensive.

That said, it is a matter of being held responsible for ones own actions. I know when I was at school if one of us had made fun of someone disabled, life would have been pretty grim for the perpetrator for a considerable while.

Sadly, there is something radically wrong with society in general today, and its not all kids fault, just look at the very public, personal and offensive actions of some of our elected members recently, and they got off without even a slap on the wrist. What kind of message it that!

^^ Certainly making fun of the genuinely disabled was accepted by 99.9% as "unacceptable", however making fun of "characters"/"worthies"/"deviants" certainly was not, even 30 years ago. In fact it was covertly encouraged by some adults who really should have had more sense. I guess you could say with the certain relaxing of societal standards that has occured within the same time, its unfortunately unsurprising that "acceptable" mickey taking to teens has now extended to encompass more or less anyone that is obviously physically/mentally "different".

As much as I think the behaviour of these children is terrible, but you can hardly blame the school for lack of education! The issue is about manners, respect and behaviour all of which is taught at home and built on in the school. Shetland schools are amongst the best in Scotland for the level of education available to pupils. Surely the responsibility of manners, respect and behaviour of children ends with the parents. As a parent myself, I would never expect the school to take the blame for my child misbehaving. Thankfully my children do know manners, respect and how to behave.

As far as the arguement of "local parentis" of the school is concerned, am I not right in saying pupils are not allowed to leave the school premises without parental consent and pupils having to "sign out"? Once parents give permission for their children to leave the premises then local parentis of the school does not apply until the bell goes at the end of lunch. Also if a child has left the school without consent (and misbehaved), how can they deal with the issue if they don't know and people just complaining on shetlink?

My thoughts exactly tojo.

I certainly wasn't involved in fighting or bullying at school, I was to scared of getting a hiding from the auld folk if they found out :lol:

Guest CyprusPluto

This sort of behaviour regularly turns into a mini war if it's allowed. The children should be kept in school where they can be watched, after all parents leave them with the school and they are ultimately responsible for them during those hours. This is not just about manners or behavioural issues, this is blatant bullying of people unable to defend themselves. Only cowards pick on those that can't fight back; it doesn't prove anything. If you want to prove how tough you are start a fight with someone who may be able to beat you.

The shops won't worry about lost trade because by the sound of it most 'ordinary' people will stay away if the kids are there. And the mess they leave (chips everywhere) costs council tax payers money to clean up.

When I lived on the mainland I heard a story about a group of youths who were strolling along the road forcing cars to stop until they'd finished crossing the road just intimidating people. One of the cars they force to stop was full of 4 young men (age 18-22), one of them my brother. Suffice it to say the car did stop, the 4 young men got out and the 'children' didn't do it again.