School kids in Town

Pleepsie

I don't agree with the kids who teased people and harassed them and if I found out any of mine had done that I would certainly deal with it. I do think though that teenagers do get a bad press :)

I agree with you they get a bad press. Sick to death of the " it wasn't like that in my day" no it wasn't as the vast majority of teens today are more socially skilled, articulate and aware than in our day.

Teasing people with disabilities is wrong,worse still the active discrimination which is carried out out by older people on a daily basis. Look at the sic figures for the number of disabled people they employ! That's what folk should be complaining about. :x

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids today have no respect for society nor authority. That said, when we move up to Shetland next year I can assure folks that if ever my kids contemplate joining in with any shenanigans like this they will not be able to sit down for a week when the flat of my hand has done with their rear ends!

Wow what an overgeneralisation about kids today, what is this statement based on? I have worked with teenagers for over 20yrs and this stereotype of the current generation is false. Young folk will respect you if they r treated with respect. Look at adult behaviour first before slating an entire generation. As for your comment regarding your own kids says more about you than you probably realise :cry:

I speak from my own experience. Today's "youth" would rather give people a mouthful of foul language before say anything civil when they hang around in groups, yet when the kids are on their own they barely string a few words together. As for your comment about "your comment regarding your own kids says more about you than you probably realise"; we are a peaceable Christian family and don't bother other folk at all. My children are not angels by any stretch of the imagination but if they so much as dared to think about speaking to adults like some other kids do, then they would know about it. The threat of punishment, even if not carried out, is enough to make them think twice. I don't harp about "back in my day..." but there has been a decline in youths and teens not having any modicum of respect for their elders. Just an observation, that's all...

" but there has been a decline in youths and teens not having any modicum of respect for their elders. Just an observation, that's all...

Not sure how people can disagree with that point really. My experiences of todays youth is much the same, total disregard for authority and total disrespect for society today. Now I'm not going to generalise and include every kid under the age of 16 in this but you go down to the street any lunch hour of the week or travel through south Commercial Street to Annsbrae at the same time then you'll know what I'm talking about.

This is one of the most depressing threads, full of sensationalist generalisations, I have seen in my 5 years as a Shetlink member.

It is ridiculous at best to tar an entire age group with the same brush because of the behaviour and attitude of a few peerie buggers.

I believe Shetlanders should be very proud of the vast majority of our young people – some of the most charitable, considerate, articulate, talented, hard working and community spirited folk I have the pleasure of knowing happen to be members of the age group being condemned by many in this thread.

This is one of the most depressing threads, full of sensationalist generalisations, I have seen in my 5 years as a Shetlink member.

It is ridiculous at best to tar an entire age group with the same brush because of the behaviour and attitude of a few peerie buggers.

I believe Shetlanders should be very proud of the vast majority of our young people – some of the most charitable, considerate, articulate, talented, hard working and community spirited folk I have the pleasure of knowing happen to be members of the age group being condemned by many in this thread.

I have written from my experiences and observations where I originate from in Yorkshire and also where we currently live in Berkshire and condemn those. I cannoy say about Shetlanders as I am not there yet and haven't witnessed any such behaviour. I would be saddened if this behaviour happened in Shetland (as we are due to come up there to live next year), but made a point that I would deal with my children firmly if they joined in on any such incidences. I too can only hope and pray that the youth on the isle are a good sort who are fab ambassadors for the community and islands which they represent.

Well said peeriebryan! I have worked over the last 7 years since I moved to Shetland with children, teens and young adults and have found much the same...I have found the majority to be polite, motivated and hardworking. All you want from anyone is a peerie bit of respect and that as with any human being has to be earned no matter what age you are! Like for like! You will always have the mouthy, moody cheeky ones along with the quiet shy and studious ones. Its what makes us all individual....

I don't think it has anything to do with generations...just different ways of expressing teenage angst....60, 30, 20 years ago there wasn't the media and technology there is now....but there was the same hormones and rebellious teens as there will always be!

I have written from my experiences and observations where I originate from in Yorkshire and also where we currently live in Berkshire and condemn those. I cannoy say about Shetlanders as I am not there yet and haven't witnessed any such behaviour.

So to be fair you have no real reason to make comment on this thread as you have no experience of the youth of Shetland. All you've done is accused the youth of Yorkshire and Berkshire of being fouled mouthed and ill behaved which has no relevance to Shetland teenagers.

I have written from my experiences and observations where I originate from in Yorkshire and also where we currently live in Berkshire and condemn those. I cannoy say about Shetlanders as I am not there yet and haven't witnessed any such behaviour.

So to be fair you have no real reason to make comment on this thread as you have no experience of the youth of Shetland. All you've done is accused the youth of Yorkshire and Berkshire of being fouled mouthed and ill behaved which has no relevance to Shetland teenagers.

I feel I do have reason to comment in that I hope that the behaviour I have encountered isn't in evidence up in Shetland. I have accused no Shetlanders but suffice to say that if I did observe the behaviour in my kids I would deal with it.

Oh I'm sorry, I seem to be mistaken into thinking that everyone in this conversation is an ADULT.

Are you kidding me when you say you can't tell these kids off because you are "intimidated"?

THEY ARE CHILDREN.

Why would anyone be scared of a child in SHETLAND too? These kids are pussycats compared to those down on the mainland... "Oh they make a mess".

When I went to school south someone was attacked so brutally they lost sight in one eye and was left with a permanent limp.

You guys need to grow up.

It was at my high school down South. Happened down the street at lunchtime. Two 12 year olds involved.

Hence why I put children up here are pussycats.

At my secondary school we actually had a weapons amnesty during an assembly.

So your 'incident' certainly doesn't seem like it would scare a grown adult, or perhaps you haven't ventured very far over the years?

Oh I did read it properly.

Perhaps I should have added a ;) at the end of my comment to indicate I was trying to be humorous.

Are you really telling me that Shetland kid's behaviour offended you so much that you felt you weren't able to chastise them? I sincerely hope you don't have children of your own... They will be running amok!