School kids in Town

Pleepsie

This thread has been going on so long, I've lost the thread, but I do know it seems to be putting all of Shetlands youngsters under one umbrella, that is not so, the majority are well behaved, hard working and normal. Yes, we do have a minority, and always have, the same as anywhere else that are hell bent on causing trouble at every opportunity, nothing new there, it was the same when I was younger than I am now.

The difference is there was a price to pay, doesn't work anymore, they can't be physically punished and nobody can make them do anything else, they know they can't be touched, somewhere along the line a solution will have to be found as what I have seen after moving back into Lerwick, I shudder to think what 5 years down the line will bring, I am surrounded in a good area with very young children doing there best to destroy everything that is provided for them, not all of course, but the element is there, it's not fair for them all to be guilty, that is not the case, the responsibilty lies with the parents and to a certain degree with the schools, if they don't help, it will just continue, an age old problem, my sympathy's lie with the good youngsters we have....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left the AHS a couple of years ago. Me and my friends went to the street every dinner time instead of staying at the school, because we wanted to get away from the school for a bit. You cant stop the kids from going down to the street. There are plenty of kids that go to the street and dont get up to anything bad. Yes the AHS still doesnt have the facilities to have all the pupils stay at the school at dinner time, because more and more kids are coming into the AHS every year. As well as learning to respect all the other people that go down to the street at dinner times, they should also learn how to cross the roads properly. Plenty ov times i hav seen kids running out infront of cars outside the Queens hotel!

Just read the whole thread having been away south when it started. Yes a lot of kids come down to the Street at lunchtime and, being kids (but not young goats although I expect they would be much the same) released from an atmosphere that has kind of restrained them for several hours they are lively, noisy and quite possibly untidy (although I expect the gulls clear up the chips at no cost to the council tax payers). But for the most part that is all they are. Any behaving badly towards the general public or indeed other kids need to be stopped for their own good as much as anything.

Yes having a roving policeman accompanied by a special constable or a CSU would be good when possible and someone watching the CCTV footage when not would also be good. Back in my school days we had an answer to this. Detention. But if that is not possible and the school cannot be held to be in Loco Parentis at lunchtime then maybe the court could order the actual parents to control troublemaking kids at lunchtime. And maybe before and after school.

But meanwhile most of them are just a bit high spirited rather than bad and perhaps all we need is a bit of tolerance. Or even perhaps avoiding lunch times if the kids disturb you that much.

• 1 month later...

I was up visiting family 3 weeks ago and note that schoolchildren are still chucking chips around. This time in a cruel way. Outside the Baked Tattie Shop they were breaking their chip forks into splinters and pushing these into chips which they then threw for the gulls to eat. Then, whilst I was waiting for the Town Service at 5.05 I saw Anderson High School children, who were also waiting for the bus, throw chips into the road, cars were braking sharply, and swerving to avoid the baby seagulls who were chasing after the chips.

Once on the bus the noise, swearing and screaming from these school children was unbearable. They were also throwing paper missiles around. I had the misfortune to sit next to a young girl who was eating a flake - and, as I discovered later, she had stained my coat with chocolate crumbs. I was under the impression that food was not to be consumed on the bus.

Perhaps the bus company should try and put a stop to such loutish behaviour from the youths that use its service.

I felt that my right to a peaceful journey came a very poor second to the 'rights' of the rowdy minority.

Guest posiedon
Pleepsie

This time in a cruel way. Outside the Baked Tattie Shop they were breaking their chip forks into splinters and pushing these into chips which they then threw for the gulls to eat.

I'd have been arrested for giving them a slap.

Many years ago I was on an angling trip in Morecambe bay and two of the tossers on our boat were baiting large hooks with mackerel (no lead) and laughing as they reeled in gulls, on arrival back in Fleetwood I took down the registration of their car and reported them to the police and RSPCA.

Guest posiedon
I was speaking to an old bloke from the Scottish mainland, who said in his youth they used to put carbide in to [sic] bread for the seaguls [sic]. The gulls would take off and blow up. Young folk are getting better or its [sic] not so easy to get carbide.
Yes I'm aware of that practice as well.

Not funny.

not nice! I don't like seagulls but would be mad as hell if I saw anyone doing that. Hate deliberate cruelty and that is bloody awful! But! Would like to point out that folk who do that kind of thing are not always teenagers. Have met plenty of full grown adults who have immature and cruel attitudes who think it's funny when they see animals/people suffering! I certainly wouldn't stand by and let that kind of thing happen!

Guest posiedon
mucklejo

But! Would like to point out that folk who do that kind of thing are not always teenagers. Have met plenty of full grown adults who have immature and cruel attitudes who think it's funny when they see animals/people suffering! I certainly wouldn't.

My post above was about two so called "adults"

In my opinion they should be lashed to the market cross for a week and be shat on by all and any gull that takes a fancy.

As a current pupil at AHS i can agree that some of the younger ones are getting a bit too 'excited' with all there new freedom. The 5th and 1rst years share an open plan style area and SOME of them are getting a bit too big for there boots, a bit too confident from what i've seen. It's these individuals that should be punished, not the whole school. It's not fair that everyone else should have to suffer because of another group stupidity, But i completly agree that what the boys said/did is horrible and unacceptable behaviour.

Guest Anonymous

Maybe when you see this kind of behaviour happening, you should stand up and actually do something about it. I for one will not stand for any cruelty to animals or people, and I am prepared to do something about it, that includes fighting if they are adults.

shauneej2010 is right though, don't tar all the kids because of some inbreds

I remember being scared that the teachers would tell my old folks the bad things that i did at school as i would get a good thrashing, the threat of that was enough for me to try and be good, otherwise i would not have been as a grounding or a good talking to would have had no effect. But nowadays the parents are more likely to go to the school and beat up the teachers as there children can do no wrong.

Maybe when you see this kind of behaviour happening, you should stand up and actually do something about it. I for one will not stand for any cruelty to animals or people, and I am prepared to do something about it, that includes fighting if they are adults.

Would you expect an elderly frail person who walks with a staff to confront these unpleasant youths?

Regarding shauneej2010's post

I should point out that it was a group of girls that were feeding broken chip forks to the gulls, and a group of boys throwing chips in the road.