Matt Cardle

DavieG

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy to bring anything (within reason) to Shetland that has good potential to sell a suitable amount of tickets and that folk might want to see - seeing as we do this on a totally commercial basis. I don't just promote the music I personally like thank heavens!!!

Sadly it's not as easy as just ringing them up and saying "Do you fancy playing Shetland......." Wish to God it was that easy!!!

When it comes to the bigger names we can only make ourselves and what we do and have to offer here known and then hope for the best I'm afraid!!!

I'm sure Matt Cardle will appeal to young & more mature fans of the pop-music factory that is the X-factor, certainly the rate that the tickets have reportedly sold out appears him to be a very popular choice to the music lovers of pop. A massively different situation to when I was a young 'un , many moons ago I'm afraid. In my day there was a fellow who appeared to me as one of Shetlands unsung hero's in bringing bands of a more diverse nature to the isles. For him it was more a matter of his own life long love of music, often using his own hard earned cash to pay the costs of transporting bands to the isles & then providing them with accomodation as long as they were not too fussy about where they lay their heads down. His mother would also play a part in his promotions occassionaly by supplying breakfast ( or sometimes turning off the electricity supply in a vain attempt to enforce peace & sleep ! )

He drove a taxi at the time & had a rather shiny head, probably due to the worry of losing money as it always seemed that certain venues took a dim view of the musicians & their music, it being more appealing to a different , possibly " alternative " audience.

I have not spoken to this man since leaving the isles, but hope that with venues such as the Mareel being built (...sometime...) that he will not still encounter these problems, if indeed he is still getting smaller, less commercially appealing bands up. Ones that appeal to the kind of people that would rather go out for a pint or 12, especially if only to escape the X-factor ( especially the Jedwards of this world, who's only use is for aural torture :twisted: ). I always hoped that his effort & financial input into giving the people of Shetland who have a more discerning ear would lead to him eventually being recognised as somebody who had introduced many young ears into music that is not mainstream & possibly been employed somehow into the industry which he had such passion for.

^^ Assume nothing. Why not fire off a few emails/make a few phone calls and ask if they would be interested. It has taken years/decades to get some acts here, but nothing is impossible so long as they are alive!

The great thing about Shetland and its music is the diversity and appreciation of talent.

I am perfectly capable of enjoying a live show by an artist I wouldn't dream of listening at home or driving or whatever, and I know for sure I am not the only one.

I'm hoping to get tickets this time round for Matt Cardle. Normally I wouldn't be interested but my wife is a fan and she has "blindly" accompanied me to many gigs and discovered new sounds (L'Angelus has been playing constantly since the folk festival!) so I am quite happy do the same. I seriously doubt I'll be buying his new CD but I won't be surprised if I leave clickamin feeling satisfyingly entertained.

^^ Somehow I can't see the likes of P!nk coming up here with her full show. But you're right, unless somebody is putting word about and throwing out an "invitation", very few are going to find their way here by themselves. Them saying "No" is just about the worst that can happen, and that's not fatal.

I'm sure Matt Cardle will appeal to young & more mature fans of the pop-music factory that is the X-factor, certainly the rate that the tickets have reportedly sold out appears him to be a very popular choice to the music lovers of pop. A massively different situation to when I was a young 'un , many moons ago I'm afraid. In my day there was a fellow who appeared to me as one of Shetlands unsung hero's in bringing bands of a more diverse nature to the isles. For him it was more a matter of his own life long love of music, often using his own hard earned cash to pay the costs of transporting bands to the isles & then providing them with accomodation as long as they were not too fussy about where they lay their heads down. His mother would also play a part in his promotions occassionaly by supplying breakfast ( or sometimes turning off the electricity supply in a vain attempt to enforce peace & sleep ! )

He drove a taxi at the time & had a rather shiny head, probably due to the worry of losing money as it always seemed that certain venues took a dim view of the musicians & their music, it being more appealing to a different , possibly " alternative " audience.

I have not spoken to this man since leaving the isles, but hope that with venues such as the Mareel being built (...sometime...) that he will not still encounter these problems, if indeed he is still getting smaller, less commercially appealing bands up. Ones that appeal to the kind of people that would rather go out for a pint or 12, especially if only to escape the X-factor ( especially the Jedwards of this world, who's only use is for aural torture :twisted: ). I always hoped that his effort & financial input into giving the people of Shetland who have a more discerning ear would lead to him eventually being recognised as somebody who had introduced many young ears into music that is not mainstream & possibly been employed somehow into the industry which he had such passion for.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i'm sure said bald man no longer resides in Shetland. It's a great pity as [he] put his heart, soul and hard earned cash into bringing bands up here :cry:

Maybe he will be tempted back with the opening of Mareel but i fear not.

[***Mod- removed name :wink: ***]

Without being unnecessarily invasive into aforementioned man's privacy, he was out of Shetland for a while, but came back (Or was until very recently anyway). Since his return he has promoted a gig in Shetland, both in a venue and in a back garden. :wink:

Without being unnecessarily invasive into aforementioned man's privacy, he was out of Shetland for a while, but came back (Or was until very recently anyway). Since his return he has promoted a gig in Shetland, both in a venue and in a back garden. :wink:

Glad to hear that. Next time I'm visiting home I shall try & catch up with him. Sounds like the "old days" with the band playing in the back garden, I hope that he is not coming up against the problems with finding venues for the more alternative musicians as was the problem for a while before I re-located. As I said in my previous post, he should be supported by the Art's Trust in his endevaours at least, even if it is just to have the offer of a suitable venue. I don't think he ever made any large profits & usually seemed quite happy if he broke even, with a good night being had by all including himself. It's certainly one of the best things about living on the mainland, the chance to go & see bands that are well established as well as taking a chance on a night off to see a previously unheard of band. I have seen both in quite small venues, certainly smaller than the Clickimin. It's an amazing experience to see musicians play in a relatively small venue, especially if they are already quite famous.

I'm sure that a lot of musicians would quite happily play in smaller venues if the cost of travel to the isles wasn't so expensive.

• 4 weeks later...