Religions on Education committee

I would like to think that, amongst the references to historical events versus biblical fairytale, I have remained on topic. I am squarely against this and have written to both MP Carmichael and MSP Scott, asking them to raise this question on all our behalf. However, obviously, I cannot speak for all those opposed to the issue, and urge you all to do the same as I have done. Don't just sit back on it, do something. Please.

And my issues STILL haven't been answered by pool or paulb. (pool, the first reference to "Christ" was made by Paul. The movement just did not exist before him. Reconcile this with your smug ignorant utterances as if the Bible is literal historical fact, when nothing could be further from the truth)

But maybe that's for another thread. How about "Grimm, Andersen, Saul of Tarsus and other fairytales"? :P

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well forgive me, my intention is not to be smug or ignorant, I was focusing my comments on some other posts and had not taken time to read all of your posts.

However, reading them now I see that to answer them all would take responses far to long and broad to fit within this topic and/or interest of the readers.

If you would like to go into more depth and have some specific questions, then we could do our best to have an objective discussion and I will gladly do my best to show you the real depth of Christ from the beginning of creation. You could do your best to show that its an ugly fairytale.

Well forgive me, my intention is not to be smug or ignorant, I was focusing my comments on some other posts and had not taken time to read all of your posts.

However, reading them now I see that to answer them all would take responses far to long and broad to fit within this topic and/or interest of the readers.

If you would like to go into more depth and have some specific questions, then we could do our best to have an objective discussion and I will gladly do my best to show you the real depth of Christ from the beginning of creation. You could do your best to show that its an ugly fairytale.

Well I'm still waiting for the answer to the Egyptian bondage question re errrr 2nd Commandment, wasn't it?

Edit: Oh don't, you seriously don't want me to mention some fairy tales. Wanders off singing who's afraid of the big bad wolf. :twisted:

Well I'm still waiting for the answer to the Egyptian bondage question re errrr 2nd Commandment, wasn't it?

Edit: Oh don't, you seriously don't want me to mention some fairy tales. Wanders off singing who's afraid of the big bad wolf. :twisted:

Sorry what I meant to say was if you'd like to go into more depth then lets start a new topic and do it :)

What parents teach their children is their business

This has been said several times in this thread. But surely it is wrong for parents to brainwash their children with this shtuff.

I believed for many years I was going to hell. By about 12 or 13 I figured it was all lies but some people are damaged for life and they seem to lose the ability to reason. They should be kept well away from children. Damaging a child’s brain is serious abuse.

Well done Scoots for informing us in factual and reasoned posts. They simply do not compare with the drivel from the brainwashed. No way should these guys be allowed on any education committee.

What parents teach their children is their business

This has been said several times in this thread. But surely it is wrong for parents to brainwash their children with this shtuff.

It is very probably wrong, I won't argue with that. However when you open the door to legislating for what parents tell their own offspring to think or believe, you open a whole other can of worms, which has the potential of escalating in to communist style society where everybody is dictated to by the state what they think and believe under threat of repocussions if they don't. Which would just be trading one arguably lesser evil for a greater one.

Exactly GR. There is also the antithesis that some parents freely indoctrinate their children into fervent football bigotry, for example, or even racism. But a society that forbids even bigotry within the home is a scary prospect. Some civil liberties are already illegal as practises, as soon as ideologies also become illegal, the world will be a much scarier place. We're already in a figurative sociological place where democracy is a well-represented myth. Driving any large scale belief system underground, however misguided it is, is nothing more than wrapping it in camouflage and throwing it into the woods. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2011/09/21/council-to-raise-issue-of-religious-appointees-with-cosla

@the Reverend Tom Macintyre, the Church of Scotland and the great and good Betty Fullerton with all her out of date baggage, advocating wizards and demons being the ruling forces to adhere to and that we “incompetents†and Ignostics question.

For Christ's sake; you've got all eternity to gloat at us screaming in the pits from your lofty clouds, as you crawl up to the baby Jesus for being so wise in his judgements but please god just leave us this day to grasp for our fairytale democracy before the idiots take over.

^ Love Billy C LOL. Me thinks if the SIC go ahead and form this Committee, then perhaps if they were really against it, none of them appointed to sit on said Committee should ever turn up to meetings thus ensuring there was never a quorum! :twisted:

Crawling up to Baby Jesus?

Back in the 90s an Australian firm produced an edible Jesus made from chocolate and filled with red jam. It was called a Sweet Jesus and marketed as The Immaculate Confection.

This report is about a more recent chocolate Jesus, but refers to the earlier product:

http://www.spiritsdancing.com/blog/trans-substantiation2a.jpg

• 1 month later...

After previous rants about the christian summer camp the organisers are now back in schools telling bible stories to the kids every week! I am giving up on this. They obviously have some strong influence on Shetland education that I can't do anything about.

Fair enough I admit I'm a non-believer and probably an anti-religionist but up until recently I have deliberately adopted a neutral position with my kids. I have tried hard not to exert any influence on their beliefs apart from providing as much information and resources as I can for them to build the knowledge to be able to form their own views when they are ready.

There doesn't seem to be an answer to the christian religion they get thrown at them in school without creating a huge song and dance. Therefore I think the only way is to change my position and start presenting the counter view at home. At least this way I can balance the stuff they are getting in school. Disappointing, but I don't think I have a choice. Anybody suggest any good resources for young atheist thinking? Or what do other non-religious posters think? Should we shut up and let it wash over us or is it something requiring action?