Whit'na boat wis yun...?

mogling

I saw a large boat moored at Holmsgarth dennertime today- helideck and some kind of 'tower' at the stern. Couldna see the whole of her for the trailers etc.

Intended to go for a look, but she had gone by the time I got out :(

Canna find anything likely on the AIS site - did anybody see what she was called, and any ideas what kind o vessel she was?

Thanks

Thank you very much MF and Kavi.

Darn, wish I'd been in time to look at her properly, that X-bow is something else - excellent video- well done on finding that! Can only say I'm glad I wasna the Galley Steward on shift at the time, trying to carry muckle pots of soup up & down the ladders to the store would have been rather difficult!!

Was wondering if she used Dynamic Positioning? and found this:

http://www.ulsteingroup.com/kunder/ulstein/mm.nsf/lupGraphics/Yard%20279_Island%20Constructor_Produktark.pdf/$file/Yard%20279_Island%20Constructor_Produktark.pdf

She's back in Lerwick- moored at Norscot, so got a good look this morning :)

Scooby - ken what you mean, when I switch on the PC at night, after checking the headlines & letters on Shetland News, seeing what the price of oil is & look at what folk are whingeing about on here, I then have to check what boats are in & about before looking at any 'news' sites... AIS is addictive!

Just learned of the Gulberwick Weather site: http://www.gulberwickweather.co.uk/weather/index.html

-who is it does that??

• 7 months later...

Ders a boanny boat joost aff'a Unst headed fur da toon: Polarcus Samur - annidder Ulstein Axe bow!

And just noticed, the Polarcus Amani is aff da East side saying it's headed for Lerwick too... I'll maybe have to take a trip into toon tomorrow!?

http://polarcus.com/en-us/our-fleet/our-fleet.php

AND, just seen the Polarcus Naila heading Noreast past Orkney - be great if she decided to drop in by as well and all 3 tied up tagidder!

yeah Polarcus Amani sitting in brewick bay now, had her chase boat alongside yesterday while at anchor in the harbour.

x-bow design is ideal for vessels like the the polarcus ones as all siesmic vessels, the x-bow reduces motion in bad weather and allows for higher or maintaining vessels speed.

the nature of siesmic work means lots of transit time between jobs (in one year i went from gulf of mexico, norweigen sea, north sea, turkey) so x-bow will reduce fuel consumption and allow for higher transit speed.

also give the forward part of the ship good protection.

not sure about the northboats having this design would need some imagination getting bow doors to work, but would be interesting to see if its cost effective

x-bow design is ideal for vessels like the the polarcus ones as all siesmic vessels, the x-bow reduces motion in bad weather and allows for higher or maintaining vessels speed. so x-bow will reduce fuel consumption and allow for higher transit speed.

also give the forward part of the ship good protection.

not sure about the northboats having this design would need some imagination getting bow doors to work, but would be interesting to see if its cost effective

The x-bow isn't as fuel efficient in calmer conditions though. Can't see a north boat having one until somebody proves they'll use less fuel over the course of the year.