Rugby World cup 2011

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone else trying the 'night shift' this weekend to watch the live games?

Watching the recording of NZ-Tonga just now.. Just learnt that the Tongan physio is a surgeon in Tunbridge Wells. So if you're ever hit by a train while on holiday there, You'll be in good hands. :?

Wouldn't worry about that on my behalf - it was only the Scotland game I actively avoided any source of finding out the score before I watched.

As it happened I caught the last 20 min of the Eng-Arg game - probably England's best moments going by what the after-match talk was about.

Looking very much like the days of the 3-figure scores are long gone however referees are looking more willing to quickly punish transgressors - as John Barclay discovered.

Guest Anonymous

I agree that we've seen the end of the 'triple figure trouncings' but I reckon that's more to do with a switch of emphasis to defence tactics. Romania did their homework against Scotland, Knowing the the Scots are prone to 'drifting off' the game when denied possession for any length of time they staunchly stuck to 'pick n drive'. It's an energy sapping game plan but one that's most likely to reap rewards from a snoozing Scot.

As for officials, I can't say I've noticed much change in general trends other than maybe trying to speed up games by not reading the rule book to every scrum. Bryce Lawrence showed the usual fair patience with Eng/Arg but had no choice in binning Cole after his final warning to England.

Re refs - I was told that they (well, Pearson in the Scottish game being the only one I've had the chance to watch) intend to be super-quick at penalising an isolated tackled player holding on to the ball awaiting support. Barclay was certainly guilty of that a couple of times today and will need to sharpen up - or the supporting players will - if we're not to give away so many needless penalties.

And I agree - teams know their opponents much better now and are much better defensively.

Been a good weekend so far.

Up before daylight, tv on and a fridge full of beer :)

Strange look from the postie at 9am yesterday, she probably though it was an Up helly aa training session!

Pleasing to see how the 'non-runners' are improving. USA certainly seem to be getting better defensively. Jittery start for Scotland and England tho. Probably just nerves.

Wish the commentators would button it a bit. "What was he playing at? He should have passed the ball to the right" etc. The players are in the thick of it and don't have the bonus of a birds eye view, no matter how professional they are.

• 4 weeks later...
Stunning Welsh performance.. Really unlucky but then the world cup is where the Boks allways come to life!

Well we are down to the sharp end now; guess you'll all be glued to the Sky boxes soon , watching les Frogs deal a fatal blow to the English pretenders. The Aussie /Boks game tomorrow (NZ time) should be gripping viewing; any predictions

Looking forward to Ireland Wales in the morn! Sat/Sun mornings have been hectic last few week!! Peerie breeks is confused now as when we haven't been shouting for Ireland or Scotland we've been supporting Wales :)

Well that was a beauty wasn't it? The Irish forwards looked a bit tired.

I don't know that Wales have another game like that in them though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/14830264.stm

Guest Anonymous
Stunning Welsh performance.. Really unlucky but then the world cup is where the Boks allways come to life!

Well we are down to the sharp end now; guess you'll all be glued to the Sky boxes soon , watching les Frogs deal a fatal blow to the English pretenders. The Aussie /Boks game tomorrow (NZ time) should be gripping viewing; any predictions

The moment England made that lucky run for the line in the Scotland game (which they didn't deserve to win), I knew it was going to be an England/All blacks final. The draw from the outset was in favour of that. The only real upset to the IRB's forcast was Ireland beating Australia.

So well have another 4 years of hearing how England were 'robbed' at the final.... Thank god it's not Australia they'll be playing this time round! :wink:

Guest Anonymous
I knew it was going to be an England/All blacks final.

How's that for a bit of jinxing? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs136.gif

Seriously though, I haven't watched the France game yet but I hear it was Englands discipline that (again) let them down. I heard that a previous English player had called for a coaching staff change if they lost to France. It's pretty obvious to me that if you want to improve discipline in the English team... Martin Johnsons not your first choice!

I knew it was going to be an England/All blacks final.

How's that for a bit of jinxing? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs136.gif

Seriously though, I haven't watched the France game yet but I hear it was Englands discipline that (again) let them down. I heard that a previous English player had called for a coaching staff change if they lost to France. It's pretty obvious to me that if you want to improve discipline in the English team... Martin Johnsons not your first choice!

If calling an England win was putting the jinx on them , then you were not alone. Farmer Brown is on record elsewhere predicting that France would do something spectacular; he was disappointed . They got off to a good start but couldn't get a foot on the English throats. And it looked like france's best game.

Anyway, hot stuff coming up tonight; at least the Bok-Wobbly clash will be.

The Argies could be tough up front, and always tenacious.