The SIC temporary homing for Teenagers

Mattie

It is quite impossible to get a place of your own in Lerwick unless its a turd area where alot of turd happens, if i didnt have my business then i would move south as life is so much cheaper and easier down there. even houses are cheaper south.

Shetland_boys you do write nonsense:

Of course it's possible to get a place of your own.

Turd areas have been specifically set aside for some.

A lot of turd seems to follow some about.

I take it your business does not invole turd - you seem to have recognised a potential niche in the market - make hay.

You can move south.

Life south is certainly cheap.

Odd houses are cheap too.

Change your name to EXshetland_boys and you should/could/will do well.

;)

It is a shocking state of affairs. If you don't work and have have no intention of working you get everything handed to you but if you're a decent, hard working individual and have savings of more than *£1* you get nothing.

I'd rather have a job and have my life in order than live the chaotic lives that many do. The fact that you don't get support should be something you're proud of.

It is quite impossible to get a place of your own in Lerwick unless its a turd area where alot of turd happens, if i didnt have my business then i would move south as life is so much cheaper and easier down there. even houses are cheaper south.

Depends what you want. My friends decided they wanted a flat and started looking on a Sunday, by Tuesday they had it sorted out. Central Lerwick, good value. You just need to actually put in the effort to look.

You know for a place that regularly elects the lib dems in massive majorities there are not half some right wing daily mail types on this forum

This forum doesn't represent Shetland's "generic/standard" viewpoint (whatever that is) very well at all. See here for an example

So what's a 'turd' area in Lerwick?

Come now ShetlandBoys, I would like to know the 'turd' areas.

The Council really has to address their homing of teenagers in temporary accommodation.

Why?

They are not old enough to behave!

My child returned on Sunday afternoon to her accommodation. Toilets smashed up. The place a state.

Partying all weekend.

Mr Plod. How many times were you called out?

Decent kids in temporary accommodation are getting a hard time because of these idiots!

One teenager that regularly visits our home. Has reported to the Council and the police on numerous occassions weekend parties, fighting and noise in his shared accommodation.

To no avail.

It is shocking!

I will be taking this forward with the Housing Department in the morning!

No doubt the relevant person will be on holiday or off for a few days!!

No one else can deal with it.. Typical of the SIC!

Sorry maybe I'm missing something, but I thought that temporary accommodation was for people who were actually homeless? There are many decent people who have worked all their lives who are in need of affordable housing but are stuck in expensive private rented housing because the council are allocating homes to youngsters....

Well me and my partner are struggling to get our own place with the council. We have a 6 week old baby and live with my partners mum in her small 2 bedroom council house. We have been on the list for quite some time but haven't got anywhere yet, and we both work, well I did before going on maternity leave. I actually went in and spoke to the council 2 weeks before I gave birth and they said we weren't going to get anywhere for a good few years! We are starting to give up and starting to look for somewhere privately. I may be 19 with a baby but not everybody is handed a house in these situations!

lydz, I am sorry to hear that. It never really was easy, there were points and the such to get but over the years, even though more affordable housing seems to have been built, not enough social housing it seems. Many "council" houses are in fact run by housing associations. Their need has never waned and 19 is a bad age to be on any form of benefit. We were put into a b&b with a baby, then into an elderly persons bedsit, only when we had our son did we move to a house. We initially were moved 17 miles from my work and then 12, eventually 6 miles. It was a struggle. You may not fit in the overcrowding point bracket yet. If you get mum to say she is throwing you out you will play right into the hands, or comments seen here about folk using the system to get a house.

It is hard and very stressful. Many do not appreciate the hardship.

You are also not looking for single accommodation, so the wait may be longer. C.A.B. can offer some advice, at least you will be sure then and they will tell you if there are any benefits or assistance you could get in the mean time (mean seems to be fitting there).

Good luck to you and your family.

Lydz I'm sorry to hear you're struggling and I hope you get somewhere soon :(

We're in the same boat. My husband has serious health problems (he has 100 medical points) and we can't get a house or flat with the council/hjaltland as they say we don't have enough points!

My poor hubby's been on the waiting list for years and it's just not right, the system doesn't work and it needs changing.

We could paper a wall with the amount of rejection letters we've had from Hjaltland alone.....