ouija board

tom thumb

You know that these were originally developed as a board game, relying on the Ideomotor Effect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_effect

There's nothing 'paranormal' about them.

Following its commercial introduction by businessman Elijah Bond on July 1, 1890,[3] the Ouija board was regarded as a harmless parlor game unrelated to the occult until American Spiritualist Pearl Curran popularized its use as a divining tool during World War I.[4]

If you happen to have an original pre-war Parker Brothers board I believe they are worth a pretty penny. IIRC their popularity soared during wartime for obvious reasons, along with the dissapearance of the "It's only a game" tagline..

http://x56.xanga.com/604f54e370433257265108/b204706155.jpg

(ok, war aready mentioned above.. but I think we got away with it!)

I'd stay well clear. I recall my sister, many, many years ago messing with one. She participated in a session with her friends. The glass went totally out of control and spelt fire. Within 24 hours, every person present received severe burns in one way or another; with my sister, it was getting a burn off the gas cooker requiring hospital treatment and took weeks to heal.

I know of other instances too but given that the above is true and involved a family member, it does tend to somewhat stick in my mind.

I would never, ever dabble with one.

^^^

It's gas cookers, not Ouija boards, that your sister should be more careful with.

So how do you explain what happened to all the others present who suffered burns, two of whom got burns at PRECISELY the same time my sister did and the others who got burns that week? Coincidence or what?

^^^

It's gas cookers, not Ouija boards, that your sister should be more careful with.

So how do you explain what happened to all the others present who suffered burns, two of whom got burns at PRECISELY the same time my sister did and the others who got burns that week? Coincidence or what?

I'd rather believe in coincidence than grumpy spirits who communicate through board games and burn people using magic.

I believe in them 100%. I have never done it myself and would never consider doing it after i heard stories from family members and even my husband who played it himself and has never done it again. For those who are skeptical that is a matter of opinion but in regards to the previous comment from before about the burns then i have to agree it is not coincidence everybody playing that night recieved burns after the game spelt fire.

major gas explosion after a group of drunken young women left the gas on. its a piece of board. if the devil was that powerful he would not need to use a board. well perhaps the gas one.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Wqo9IVCWV5E/S6eEv2vHXRI/AAAAAAAAD50/b2W0qceY8jY/s320/bz+OUIJA+03-13-10.jpg

I believe in them 100%. I have never done it myself and would never consider doing it after i heard stories from family members and even my husband who played it himself and has never done it again.

I once watched an episode of "Ally McBeal", and have never done so again. Doesn't mean I was convinced it was encouraging ghosts to set light to me.

For those who are skeptical that is a matter of opinion...

No, it isn't. Either ghosts who communicate via board games and burn people exist, or they don't. Would you describe the existence of gorillas or unicorns as a matter of opinion?

No, it isn't. Either ghosts who communicate via board games and burn people exist, or they don't. Would you describe the existence of gorillas or unicorns as a matter of opinion?

Hang on, I'll go and ask Ghosty ... :wink:

... He still waking up so had to ask Sam via Derek Corcoran instead - me thinks you mean spirits and apparently Sam sez not vodka. :wink:

Edit: @Paulb - me thinks the devil is more into strip poker these days or Trivial Pursuit. :twisted: