Finding the family

Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown, can you send link, I was interested but only got to get a quick look on my phone.

There are groups that can help as well, I found many of my relatives using the Bayanne site going back to 1750s, then someone else here said they have found details going back further to a castaway fiddler on Unst. If you can get the background it can be very exciting.

We have a Laurenson in our family, the eldest is still partying and over 102 years old

Good luck.

The Laurenson and Henry sides have been neglected since naming became patrilineal.

I know that James Laurenson b.1757 West Burrafirth married Isabella Mann b. 1770 Brewster, and had two sons, Hugh and Laurence Jamieson whose surname became Laurenson in 1855. Hugh and Laurence married two Henry sisters, Mary and Betty, the daughters of George Henry b.~1762 Aerfirth, and Catherine Hughsdaughter b.April 1756.

So the Tait -Jamiesons here have a double link to the Laurenson/ Henry lineage.

Now den Farmer Brown, if you had said the Bar Kays, I would have been impressed to the ends of the universe, so to speak. They look like a fun bunch.

EM, that is great, the 15th C is quite an past. You must be related to most of the folk in Shetland (gulp!). As many of us could be.

I have not had the time to delve deeper, there are some locked doors as well, as with all families.

Thanks for link. It was very interesting. I use very little dairy, but I like my eggs. I use soya based stuff, but not milk.

What struck me with the images is how closely they resemble where I am in the North West, the give away is the power lines.

I have been searching for a friend in Auckland, in Howick. No luck so far.

Again, good luck with your search...I am sure others will pop along to help.

Oh, and good morning.

The earliest I have found so far are the Strangs of Unst and the Sinclairs of Houss, Burra in the early 1500s.

If, like many in Shetland, you can hook up with the Bruce line, it usually leads back to the C11th (due to Cultmalindie's descent from The Bruce).

In my case the early information is due to other Sinclair nobs. Most Shetland lineage records peter out when there is no church documentation available, unless there are lairds, ministers or rich families involved. Accordingly the ability to trace a line back to the earlier centuries ought not to be seen as anything other than a mark of being descended from scum :wink: .

Nevertheless, it is fun finding the stories associated with many of these roguish kin.

I believe this is your ancestor here

http://bayanne.info/Shetland/getperson.php?personID=I128250&tree=bayanne_1

Your Taits and Jamiesons are not the same as mine but we do have a number of relatives in common.

Yes that is my grandfather. His only child, James Daniel Tait-Jamieson is the generation when the hyphen was added. The story is that Peter Tait Jamieson had married a catholic (horrors). As the condition of a "mixed" marriage was that the offspring should be catholic, and you can't have a catholic Jamieson [:-)], the surname was changed. Seems ridiculous now.

By the looks of things you have 3rd cousins still in Shetland, the Farquhar family from the Westside and Sim family from Lerwick.

These families are descendants of Mary Tait's sister Joan Tait who married Magnus Johnson

Thanks Kevin. I sometimes wonder if folks in Shetland think as much about common ancestry as do those of us who left some time ago. Probably not; if you're still there , then you know where you come from.

I'm picking up that Metal is big in Shetland; possibly a Viking thing, do you think?

Here's something that I found. We recorded this album in 1972 and the tapes were lost until a couple of years ago. I've read [:-)]that the type of music we were playing then is called Acid Rock; well it was the 70s.

I sometimes wonder if folks in Shetland think as much about common ancestry as do those of us who left some time ago. Probably not; if you're still there , then you know where you come from.

"Redding up kin" used to be a favourite topic of conversation with my elderly relations. You heard some good stories about your forebears - the problem is trying to remember them after all those years.

Sites like Bayanne make it easy nowadays to trace your relations though the scandals aren't there.

MODS why don't you delete Negative MESSAGES AS SOON AS YOU SEE THEM ? F/BROWN is simply trying to find kith and kin and you get the above being sarcastic ch...s One of the reasons I dont post a lot :( :( :(

Gidday Keedle, it sounds like you might be as big a fan of Metal as I am. I can stand a bit of Heavy, but Metal (to me) is where the theatricality overtakes the musicianship.