The new ferry contract.

JustMe

The RBS got out of the contract when it became Northlink v2 however they do still own the boats and lease them out.

In the new contract the operator isn't obliged to use the same boats however I think any operator would struggle to find new boats that have enough cabins and can fit into Aberdeen harbour in time for July.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people always look back fondly. I remember going on the P&O boats as a child for a trip north. What I remember about the trip is:

* Lots of very drunk people

* The smell. The ship did smell. Not particularly badly, just very must and old. Sort-of damp.

* The noise. The P&O boats were so much more noisy

I agree with all those things re the passenger boat - yes it was noisey, stunk of fish guts, not to mention G-deck... Those issues were mainly down to the boats at the time though and they won't be back. It is important to point out that operator and boats shouldn't be associated with each other, because if P&O had held onto the contract back then they would've also had to bring in new boats as it was requirement of the tender.

What P&O did well was provide an excellent freight service and they were reliable, rarely refusing to sale. NorthLink's reliability has been poor, and a missed sailing can cost local companies £1000s, never mind the delays. Their cargo boat is also not fit for the north sea.

Had a phone call the other day from a research company in Inverness. They were asking questions about Northlink. Apparently they are considering 'Dynamic pricing' same as airlines, so if you book early you get a cheaper fare, book at the last minute, then you pay through the nose for a ticket. I strongly disgree with that way of pricing, it should be the same for everyone. Not something that I feel should be considered, we pay enough to travel south as it is! Any thoughts?

What i can't believe is that you can cancel right up to the last minute with Northlink and there is no cancellation fee. This encourages speculative booking and blocking cabins and all sorts of things that don't help the situation, never mind the revenue that could be gained. An odd way to run a business.

Seems somewhat odd that Northlink should be commissioning research when presumably they have to compete with other bidders for the new contract. But at the same time a limited discount for advance bookings similar to the friends and family discount might not be unreasonable as long as Northlink remember that they are meant to be a lifeline service.

I am left wondering why Tavish keeps going on about the RET that the government claims will result in higher fares on the Shetland route. Is this what he wants?.

I must admit, my PLEAS to various sellers, service centres etc will be to no avail if even using other delivery agents my goods will still fall into those vandals hands. surely there's a monopoly thing if the do all the goods and cargo for Shetland.

I also think that the boat should sail between Sumbrugh and Wick. In summer months they need to operate Sumburugh to Rosyth (for tourists

The ferries could never run from 'sumburgh' to wick th harbour in wick is too small and shallow, and as for sumburgh?? I assume this is a mistake, i doo feel a 20 hour ferry run from rosythe would deter more tourist than it would attract

I also think that the boat should sail between Sumbrugh and Wick. In summer months they need to operate Sumburugh to Rosyth (for tourists).

Wick :shock: Clearly a suggestion from someone who's never spent time in Wick, or had to drive from Wick to.......anywhere actually.

Lerwick - Aberdeen works fine, suits probably 90% of folk that use the service. Lets put the effort into improving that route rather than trying to tap into some illusive tourist market that'll only end in tears. The vast majority of tourists to Shetland come to Shetland for a particular reason, the port it sails from will make little difference to most.

I would like to see what the different bidders are offering for a service, they think we want/need.

Like northlink did, then either didn’t follow through or took them the full contract to provide it.

So come on guys tell us what you are going to give us as a service!

And please no reclining chairs, might be ok for an aeroplane but not for bobbing about on the North Sea