do I need a license for a boat?

Patzel

Does anybody know what sort of a license is needed in Shetland for driving a motor boat?

Probably moving to one of the remoter islands I like the thought of not being totally dependant on the ferry.

So I am trying to figure out whether it might be useful to have an own boat (small pilothouse boat or an old creel boat or a small trawler).

Do I need some sort of a "driving license"? I have asked around here in Germany and here I do need a motorboat license (sea) and a VHF license. Same requirement in Shetland? And if so, would the German license also be valid there?

Any limitations regarding the size or the power of a boat?

Who knows?

simply put no.

you need no formal qualifications to drive a boat in coastal waters.

if you choose to keep it in a marina you will need liability insurance and insurance premiums are often higher if you do not have RYA type qualifications but again not mandatory.

if you keep it at a harbour you should also have liability insurance and will be liable for harbour dues,

there are of course different rules and regs for boating for profit.

thanks for the quick answer!

Does that mean I could even drive a boat like this Comrade SY337

without any qualification?!

There must be some limitation of size even for private use?

To feel comfortable I'd still rather take some lessons while I am still here, even if they are not compulsory.

No 'driving licence' required for a small boat, but a licence is required to operate a VHF radio (operator's licence, lasts for life, simple exam required) and the boat should also have a licence which I believe is now issued free. The boat licence gives you a radio 'call sign'.

You can catch fish for your own consumption, including shellfish, but fishing commercially requires a licence, VERY expensive.

No 'driving licence' required for a small boat

is a trawler like the Comrade still considered as a "small" boat?

You can catch fish for your own consumption, including shellfish, but fishing commercially requires a licence, VERY expensive.

Don't start laughing but the main reason for thinking about an own boat is to be able to pick up the vet if he is needed in the middle of the night when there is no ferry :oops: (please no comments on this... probably not everybody would consider this as a reason)

And to have the option of being able to catch fish for our kitchen is an extra advantage.

Your pic is of a registered commercial fishing boat and that would require a licence.

If however it was converted to private 'Yacht' use, no fishing gear and unregistered, not taking passengers, then yes, you could use it without a 'driving licence', but insurance/running/maintenance costs would be high.

Most private boats in Shetland are under 10m long, adequate for inshore use.

a lot of useful information!

Probably a smaller boat would do... it's just... have been out on this one (17 years ago) in really bad weather and was pleasantly surprised how good she was in those high waves and winds. Well, I was not so good... I felt awfully seasick

Where do you insure your boats? How much is the premium (rough figure) p.a.?

There are brokers in Lk who will arrange insurance, but better to apply to the insurance companies directly (cheaper).

The premium will depend on size of boat, age of boat, type, max speed, material of construction, owner's experience, where it's moored, so many variables it's difficult to say. :(

You have not stated what experience you have had with boats

E.g. have you served in the Germany Navy? Ect

Or have you never been on a boat ?

No, have not served in the navy.

I have been out on fishing boats on the Minch whenever I had the chance to, but more as a guest than as a member of crew.

Apart from this my practical experiences are limited to sailing boats.

This is why I would - even if this is not required - take lessons and get a license while I am still here. I don't think it would be very responsible to drive around with a motor boat when there are oil tankers, ferries and fishing vessels around without experience.

It was just important for me to find out whether there are any rules which might mean that a German license is not valid etc.

give me a break you think a couple of lessons will make you safe in a boat after having been a passenger on one a couple of times. Please it takes experience in local waters to become competant. Get here get plenty of time in with locals that know the waters, then and only then buy a boat suitable for you to opperate safely.

Apart from this my practical experiences are limited to sailing boats.

He has experience. More than a passenger.

The Coastguard at The Knab will help you as well. You can pop in or telephone, they are a great bunch of folk and it is their job to advise and help in any way they can. Some of your "local" knowledge can be gleaned from them.

Follow the link MJ gave you, they will tell you what would be best, without personal opinions too!

Good luck with that and your move.