do I need a license for a boat?

Patzel

you would have fun getting the vet to fetlar in the middle of the night, they are helpful but i really don't see them wanting a lift. most of the locals will have a lot of skills dealing with animal first aid. plus you can have a stock of medice for the common illnesses. they will go to you if it urgent.

Unst, Yell & Outer Isles

On the ferry Colin Jamieson routinely visits Yell and Unst on a Thursday.

This is a service we have provided since 1986 with only a few cancellations due to adverse weather conditions! Whalsay visits are usually arranged on a monthly basis and we visit several of the other outer isles as and when necessary.

Unst

The vet consults at the Baltasound Hall from approximately 10.40am to 11.40am on Thursdays, and then visits any farm animals or horses needing attention. Please phone our Bixter surgery on 01595 810456 to make an appointment.

Yell

As the population is so spread out in Yell, we do not have a central surgery, but do home visits instead on Thursday afternoons. A member of our reception team will be able to give you an approximate time for your visit, which may vary depending on the vet’s workload.

Whalsay

Visits are arranged in a similar system to Yell – please call a member of our office staff to make an appointment.

Outer Isles

A vet occasionally visits other isles such as Foula, Fetlar and Papa Stour.

the croft still says its open to offers your chancing losing it if you don't decide soon.

i'm with dratsy here! being shetlander and a qaulified seafarer who works around shetland and has served on the lerwick lifeboat etc i feel qualified to have an opinion (before someone starts!)

You run the very real risk of puttin your own life and the life of the vet and the lives of emergency services going to sea without the experiance required. Going to sea in a boat this size alone is unadvisable regardless of experiance or 'licences'

off course your sailing experiance will set you in good stead and the RYA and coastguard advice above is valid but they are mearly breaking the surface of what you would be required to know to navigate a vessel the size of the one pictured above in or around shetland waters.

they are generally regarded as some of the most changable and dangerous seas in the world and although people talk of 'coastal' there on the edge of the north sea and the atlantic!

by all means do not be put off the idea by me the sea can be a very enjoyable and fruitfull place to spend time but be under no illusion, its is unpredictable and deadly an has no mercy!

please make any decision with great care and learn from the experianced prior to going it alone

please make any decision with great care and learn from the experianced prior to going it alone

of course I will...

it's just "thinking about" a boat at this stage, nothing more. After having lived for several years on the Western Isles und after having been out in rough seas I definitely do not underestimate the powers of nature.

Did I mention anything like: oh, great, no license, let's just go out and put lives at risk? I don't think so.

I just wanted to know what legal regulations there are (because they are the prerequisites).

Hopefully every boat owner around does listen to the advices I've been given here...

Did I mention anything like: oh, great, no license, let's just go out and put lives at risk? I don't think so.

Indeed not. I think you made it quite clear that you have no intention of behaving rashly, and plan to operate within your capabilities.

I would, however, point out that the costs involved in maintaining and running a boat of the size you indicated will be considerable. I also have the feeling that it would be highly unlikely a vet would be prepared to travel to Fetlar in the middle of the night, by any vessel.

I would suggest doing 'Powerboat Level 2' at NAFC this is a recognised qualification which you will require in some areas of Europe and now some areas of UK to use a boat. This is a fairly basic course, but you can work your way up through the courses. I am currently doing the Day Skipper course.

Having lived in Fetlar for the past 34 years ( I married in) I find Patzels posts regarding boats beyond belief.

Does she not realise we are living on an Island that is served by a Ferry service that is second to none. If she comes with her kye, goats etc she will have to accept the way of life we have here.Given the Vets fees you would not want to call them out during the hours of darkness.

Given the Vets fees you would not want to call them out during the hours of darkness.

It might not be a question of wanting it, but who cares about the fees in case of an emergency (like a horse with a colic)? The fees will just have to be paid then.

I think it's up to each individual what he or she wants to spend money for. Some people spend money on a microwave or a flat screen television set, a big car or fancy clothes, my priorities are set somewhere else.

Is there anything wrong with it as long as I pay the vet's bill?

In my opinion this has nothing to do with accepting island life. Some circumstances have just to be taken as they are, others do offer a choice.