Deportation - Apparently A Debate Thread?? :?

Njugle

All thru da campaign folk were explaining away his "moment of madness" by saying it wis due tae his step dad dying and da baby.?

and regardless o whit onywan says, it is lying when it is knowingly giving false reasons. His baby and step dad dying happened afterwards, so how can dey be used as an excuse fir something?

Just speaking for myself, I did not form the opinion while reading any of the Sakchai material that his "moment of madness" was being blamed on his step-father's death, or on the death of his baby, in fact the first I've heard he ever had a baby was in the Shetland Times quote on this thread.

At most, the reasons put forward, as far as I am concerned, were that he was "going through a difficult time in his personal life", and that his step father died "around that time". That said, regardless of what was offered up as "justification" for his "moment of madness", I really don't care what the "justification" is, he acted, by all accounts very out of character, and the Govt. acted very much out of order in their handling of him years after the fact. It was those two final points that were the deciding factors as to whether I supported his appeal, which I do, or supported the Govt stance. Why he did what he did, really has mimimal relevance to my decision of who was in the right and who was in the wrong concerning the events which commenced with him having his door kicked in at dawn in early June.

da baby and step dad dying wis mentioned in a number of newspaper articles and online. dat's how i heard o it in da 1st place.

also, i'm no interested in why folk were supporting da campaign or why dey wirna. hooever, imo, if it wis unconnected why mention it at all?

dis is glossing ower da event by even mentioning sumthing dat had nae relation to his "moment of madness" at all. All dat had to be mentioned wis dat he had served his time and reintegrated intae da cammunity. mention o onything else is making excuses, which were unneccesary (especially when dey wir untrue)

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but i have since heard that sakchai never started the fire in the first place, but one of his mates did. but because his mate already had a criminal record, sakchai took the rap, isnt this aiding and abetting, and perverting the cause of justice, and could this be the real reason for so much support???

i had heard this story at the very begining from a srt staff member, maby that is a reason why they supported him as he was inicent all along.

they have been lots of fudges like 'no family in thiland' but on gmtv he said he had family there - although distent.

at the end of the day if does not matter as its all over, but it makes very interesting reading to go right back and watch all the people's postings, how the mood changed - how stories and people changed it to make others look good or bad. check how many times rule 1 in the conditions of shetlink has been broken.

I can see your point, PeerieSooky, but I have to say that I feel very uncomfortable reading the posts on this topic - it really doesn't feel right to me to discuss someone's bereavments on an internet forum!

:(

Well said RuthF .... this line of questioning has gone far enough people!

as has been pointed out:

[...]check how many times rule 1 in the conditions of shetlink has been broken.[..]

We have attempted to be as lenient as possible to both sides throughout this whole affair but this is bordering on definetively being "invasive of a persons privacy". Lets leave this here and move on! Regardless as to how "relevant" people may see this ... you are discussing deaths within a young mans family !! Please have some common decency and respect the dead!

but at da same point, it wis dem dat brought it intae da public eye in da first place. Da badtaste, in my book, comes fae having falsely used it in order tae 'explain' da actions of an event dat wis completely unrelated. wither liked or no, he has been made a public figure and, as such, has tae deal wi da doonside o dat as well, which will be folk analysing aathing dat he does fae noo on etc. If he, or those dat wir so vocal in der support, dinna lik dat, den dey shouldna hae brought these issues intae a public domain (be it dis forum or da national and local press). U canna hae it baith ways.

Besides, it's nae da issue at hand. da issue is da changing of facts tae better suit da campaign, when der wis nae need tae do it in da first place. Da argument wis regularly used dat he had paid his dues tae society etc so why be punished fir da same crime twice? if dat wis da case, making excuses fir his indiscretions wisna needed as dey had bin dealt wi. For a campaign dat had folk banging on aboot "hard facts" and da like, it is a bit hypocritical tae lie aboot past events tae mak dem soond mair sympathetic.

If sakchai wis as great a guy as he's made oot tae be, why da need fir dis glossing ower o his past crimes tae garner mair support fir his case? Dis isna exactly an honest way o daing things

How can you all sit there saying that Sakchai made up these stories to gain more sympathy and therefore more support. Do any of you know the real story, obviously not, I do and your versions are not the same as mine. I know that neither Sakchai nor the SfS team gave these stories to the media as on the whole most people do not want their private lives shown to the nation. I hardly think they would have said something that would be so easily checked out. No one will never know where those stories originated but I am sure most of us do realise that not everything we read in the papers or see on tv is always the truth.

I think it's time to stop "debating" all of Sakchais private life as he neither asked for nor wanted to be hauled of and thrown in prison and be the total focus of attention. I am not saying that he does not appreciate the support that Shetland has shown him because he does, but this constant shredding of his character is quite unneccessary.

How many of you are willing to let your life be the full focus off attention on this page and let every one pull you to bits.

I am sure this page was mean't for the subject of whether the government was right to threaten to deport him to be debated not to tear the poor boys character to bits. Hasn't he been through enough! :oops:

I for one .. and I am sure many others have had quite enough of this thread!

If anyone of you have any real and serious concerns with anything out in the "public domain" concerning what has transcribed in the past several weeks - I suggest that you too get your name out there in the public domain and write a letter into the Shetland Times .... a fine vocal and transparent means of communication .... though I doubt many of you will!!

How can you all sit there saying that Sakchai made up these stories to gain more sympathy and therefore more support. Do any of you know the real story, obviously not, I do and your versions are not the same as mine. I know that neither Sakchai nor the SfS team gave these stories to the media as on the whole most people do not want their private lives shown to the nation. I hardly think they would have said something that would be so easily checked out. No one will never know where those stories originated but I am sure most of us do realise that not everything we read in the papers or see on tv is always the truth.

I think it's time to stop "debating" all of Sakchais private life as he neither asked for nor wanted to be hauled of and thrown in prison and be the total focus of attention. I am not saying that he does not appreciate the support that Shetland has shown him because he does, but this constant shredding of his character is quite unneccessary.

How many of you are willing to let your life be the full focus off attention on this page and let every one pull you to bits.

I am sure this page was mean't for the subject of whether the government was right to threaten to deport him to be debated not to tear the poor boys character to bits. Hasn't he been through enough! :oops:

so where exactly wir dese stories supposed tae have originated?

also, i have never said it wis sakchai dat did it, he couldna exactly hae given ony interviews etc while he wis being held at his majesty's whim, but dey had to hae come fae sumwhar, and considering dey wir in places dat wir supposed to hae been a huge hjelp to da campaign, da likelihood is dat it cam fae sumone involved in da campaign. Now, by all means, it may hae bin a case of whaever wrote da piece got facts wrang etc, but wis it not da responsibility of those responsible fir dealing wi da media tae ensure dat articles etc were correct?

also, who has said dat da stories ir made up? answer, naeboady. da issuie is dat seperate events wir blurred together.

furthermore, whether fair or not, da issue is now in da public domain, as has bin mentioned on numerous ither threads on dis forum. Da simple fact is u canna expect tae use da media to bring his situation to da public eye, and den expect folk jist tae leave it alone efter. u hae tae tak da good wi da bad. u canna pick and choose. itherwise it should never hae been in da public domain in da 1st place.

either way, despite da sensitivity shown by folk, naebody has ever attacked sakchai on dis thread in ony way shape or form. it's those dat hae bin wirking on his behalf, as dey are da wans dat hae bin in contact wi da media etc, dat have bin called intae question.

likewise, if folk hae a problem wi issues related tae da case being discussed etc den why did dey bring it onto a forum in da 1st place?

However information got to the media, it happened. It was a fair point to say that the media misrepresented issues and that it shouldn't have been necessary to do that, as the deportation order would have been wrong whatever the circumstances. But to specify the issues only compounds the error, and to continue to rake things up like this and discuss such obviously private and sensitive issues on such a public platform, seems despicable to me. I'm sorry but I really think that this is out of order.

Some people on this thread are starting to remind me of vultures...

And, on that note, I think I'll shut up now!

but den whaa wis it dat brought up those "sensitive issues" in da 1st place? as i said, u cannot use things fir sympathy or whitever da reasons fir it, and not expect folk tae pass comment on it. if it wis dat private and sensitive an issue, den it should never hae bin raised in da 1st place as it wis completely unrelated tae da case at hand.

having suffered miscarriages (even the twin 2 my youngest son), tae use stuff like dis, in my book, is sick. But dey brought it up, whaaever it wis, so dey hae tae deal wi da negative aspects o reaction to it, no jist da hoped for positive reaction.

If folk dinna lik da issue being discussed etc den dey should be angry at whaaever it wis dat brought da issue up in da 1st place as, before it wis mentioned in da press, i had nae idea aboot it at all, as nae doobt plenty o ither folk. folk canna discuss sumthing dey dinna ken aboot. If folk dinna lik discussing it etc, den fine, dinna discuss it.

but if you're dat affronted by da issue, ask yersel dis: whaa brought it tae da media's attention, and whit wis da intention?

taken fae da censorship thread

Link us to a story regarding the matter in question and we can start discussing it. I started the Gary Marshall thread on the morning his story was on the Shetland News, therefore the story was seen as being "in the public domain".

you canna hae it baith ways. If these issues were too sensitive, dey should never hae bin mentioned in da press in da 1st place.

I'm sorry if my last post was a bit bad tempered! :oops:

I agree with you that these issues shouldn't have been raised in the first place, but I don't see that the fact that they were is any excuse to carry on discussing them. That's like the "why shouldn't I? Everyone else it doing it!" thing. Whoever it was that brought these issues into the public eye, I doubt very much that it was Sakchai or his family, so it's still unfair to discuss this. I will stop replying to posts about the subject now, as discussing not discussing something is almost as bad as actually discussing it, I know! (Quite a tongue twister there!)

Re: the miscarriages, I sympathise. Next week would have been the due date of a baby that I lost in the first trimester. :(

i think its disgusting that people on this thread are discussing the fact that someone has lost a child that in my opinion is not something that should be talked about here, can you just imagine how he's going to feel if he reads this thread pretty gutted i would think.

I can't think of any kind of constructive reason why this subject has been dragged up.

Whether or not this is in the public domain is irrelevant, we're dealing with bereavements here. A bit of sensitivity is required. In essence, everyone's death is in the public domain as it is recorded in a public record, and usually published in the paper. I don't think that gives folk the right to pontificate on an Internet forum with moral indemnity.

We're going to lock this thread for a while if the 'debate' continues to degenerate.