BP's new oil fields

Snaz

I've seen this story reported in a couple of different places and I'm sorry to say that each story has been pretty pathetic scare-mongering and poor excuses for journalism. The company is required to make plans to cover all possible outcomes and when they actually do, these eejits are virtually reporting that the oil has already been spilt. Tripe, unfortunately.

Total have been drilling west of Shetland few several years and Faroe Oil and En-Quest have found hydrocarbons west of Shetland recently but as soon as BP is mentioned it's all doom and gloom. They know the area and have been producing from the Clare field for many years meaning that they have a good idea what they will be drilling into i.e predicted formation pressures etc, as far as I can see this will benefit Shetland considerably more than hinder it.

As much as people don't want to admit it we are 100% reliant on Oil & Gas and will continue to be until something suitable can replace it and the last time i looked we are some time away from that.

I wonder, if it was Shell drilling the well as the main partner would this even be an issue? because there are companies drilling west of Shetland at the moment but I have heard no complaining about them.

If BP were not to do this and Sullom Voe's future not assured for the next 40 years then it would likely shut down meaning job losses, less money to Shetland and closures of companies linked an dependant on SV.

I can only see this as good news for all concerned, a huge extention to the life of Sullom Voe and its employees. Which will generate income to our beloved homeland, what is bad about that?

Plus if there is a spill; its on the West Side then Scalloway will cop it and not Lerwick, where's the problem there? Look for the good in every situation!

Shetland getting the crumbs as usual....

Maybe with your share of the crumbs, you could at last move to Norway? :roll:

Nah, I don't get enough but if I did I'd pay for you to be shipped away first....

But I don't want to be 'shipped away'???

You seem to be basically negative about Shetland and peoples best efforts to improve conditions for all....

Even your Captain was positive, albeit for himself and who knows, maybe even for his disciples - but I doubt it.... :roll: