Proposed Dales Voe Deep - Water Decommision Base Project .

Keedle

Does any one have any thoughts on this ? I.E.

Terrestrial Ecology and Birds ,

Marine Ecology .

Water Environment and Coastal Processes .

Noise .

Landscape .

Archaeology .

I have seen Otters and Killer whales in the area .

There is also a Mussel Farm in the vicinity .

Fulmers also nest on the cliffs .

The area is also fished by Shell Fishermen .

Guest Anonymous

^^ Absolutely. The industry that it was originally built to service has had a positive effect on the ecology of the islands, Nothing to suggest that dismantling the industry will have anything other than same.

Does any one have any thoughts on this ? I.E.

Terrestrial Ecology and Birds ,

Marine Ecology .

Water Environment and Coastal Processes .

Noise .

Landscape .

Archaeology .

There is also a Mussel Farm in the vicinity .

Fulmers also nest on the cliffs .

The area is also fished by Shell Fishermen .

You skipped over some of the worst concerns that I have ..

plague

pestilence

seismic disturbances

tsunami

psychic phenomena

intergalactic time travellers

abduction by aliens

unmentionable unmentionables

It is my understanding that otters seem to get on perfectly well with piers and marine development generally. They certainly look quite relaxed romping around when encountered (regularly) at the various ferry terminals. Ryan has shot loads of footage of otters in the centre of Lerwick, the best being perhaps this:

The otter at Toft didn't look bothered by the ferry and pier as it carried its kits up from the waterline on the pier last weekend plus I've seen orca within feet of a harbour entrance whilst a ferry was coming out as well.

With legislation regarding the disposal of waste

and hazardous substances being as robust as they are, I'd see no problem at all with the decommissioning plant if it is policed thoroughly. It would be good to see the business up here.

Anyone remember the hysteria over the 'Toxic ghost ships' a few years back? Ho hum....

Maybe I should have said in my first post I am not against the project .

Lerwick Port Authority and AF Decom Offshore UK Limited are saying it could create up to 80 jobs which is a good thing .

The project will be developed in stages indications may be , 2012 detailed design complete , Harbour Order Sought and construction procured .

2013 - 2014 - Construction period .

Ninian North Platform 235 m

Murchison platform 254 m

Canary Wharf 244 m .

Awesome !

Maybe I should have said in my first post I am not against the project .

Lerwick Port Authority and AF Decom Offshore UK Limited are saying it could create up to 80 jobs which is a good thing .

The project will be developed in stages indications may be , 2012 detailed design complete , Harbour Order Sought and construction procured .

2013 - 2014 - Construction period .

Ninian North Platform 235 m

Murchison platform 254 m

Canary Wharf 244 m .

Awesome !

Then why did your first post not include any of the positives, instead of what seemed like a quote from John Laurie "we're all doomed!"

They're planning to make an existing pier a little bigger to provide a lot of work for a lot of folk for a long time to come! I'm sure the whales will not be too worried by it. Why should we?

considering that mallies are a very recent incommer to these isles then I reckon the only ones ever eaten were eaten by mistake.

If you ever smelled a mallies puke you would know why even if they had been here since time immemorial that it is highly unlikely they would have been on the menu.

my comment may have been negative but it was definately tongue in cheek

I wondered when the negative comments would start !

Dratsy everything be it human or animal was put here for a purpose ! Humans not for eating but Fulmars at one point in Shetland life , were !

where as your comment shows a distinct lack of wit concerning local wildlife, typical of the tree hugging brigade