Burra Bears?

Biglad

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously, get a grip, is this some kind of a joke. I thought competition was supposed to be healthy. Thats like the co op trying to sue tesco's cos they sell food as well, and have the cheek to use "supermarket" in their name.

If they wanna sue each other then thats plain stupid!!!!!!!!!!

tourists wont give a stuff who makes them, as long as their from Shetland!!!

so come on ladies just grow up and get on with it!!!

aaach now Ive got yon stupid song in my head now, "todays the day the teddybears have their name nicked"

But Burra Bears isn't sueing anybody. It's Shetland Fudge and Shetland Fudge alone who are causing the trouble.

If you read the Shetland News article it's obvious(states) that Burra Bears recieved a threatening legal letter from Shetland Fudge which, as Burra Bears says, left her with no choice but to seek legal advice.

So I'm afraid it's plain wrong to tell them both to "just grow up and get on with it".

Mrs Burra Bears is one of the friendliest and most decent people you could ever meet.

I was just making a point. threatening letters can end up with people in court. Legal advice can only end up in 1 of 2 directions, 1 backs off, or they both go to court. When I said grow up and just get on with it, I was refering to the fact that both businesses should just get on with their own businesses. I m sure their both fine and freindly people, and they have both started their businesses from scratch, but a teddy is a teddy, and I just think its all just not that important in the grand scheme of things. esp with everything else thats going on in this war torn world

seriously, get a grip, is this some kind of a joke. I thought competition was supposed to be healthy. Thats like the co op trying to sue tesco's cos they sell food as well, and have the cheek to use "supermarket" in their name.

If they wanna sue each other then thats plain stupid!!!!!!!!!!

tourists wont give a stuff who makes them, as long as their from Shetland!!!

so come on ladies just grow up and get on with it!!!

aaach now Ive got yon stupid song in my head now, "todays the day the teddybears have their name nicked"

But Burra Bears isn't sueing anybody. It's Shetland Fudge and Shetland Fudge alone who are causing the trouble.

If you read the Shetland News article it's obvious(states) that Burra Bears recieved a threatening legal letter from Shetland Fudge which, as Burra Bears says, left her with no choice but to seek legal advice.

So I'm afraid it's plain wrong to tell them both to "just grow up and get on with it".

Mrs Burra Bears is one of the friendliest and most decent people you could ever meet.

I was just making a point. threatening letters can end up with people in court. Legal advice can only end up in 1 of 2 directions, 1 backs off, or they both go to court. When I said grow up and just get on with it, I was refering to the fact that both businesses should just get on with their own businesses. I m sure their both fine and freindly people, and they have both started their businesses from scratch, but a teddy is a teddy, and I just think its all just not that important in the grand scheme of things. esp with everything else thats going on in this war torn world

In the grand scheme of things it may not be that important to you or I but to these two women it is their livlihood and probably even more so to Mrs Inkster as it's her idea that is blatently being copied.

Somebody made the comment of Tesco and the Co-op above which was a totally ludicrous example. This idea is unique to Shetland ie bears made from fair isle jumpers etc. In a small place like Shetland why would you intentionally copy another local brand/idea which has been on the go for so long, then threaten the originator of the idea and then expect people to support you?

Maybe I'm wrong in my way of thinking but to me there is no grey areas here, it is just black and white.

Im sure Gillian used to sell the burra bears before stealing the idea and doing her own ones.

Yeah I remember they did, they sold a lot of other peoples craft products too, which 1 by 1 seemed to be told they weren't needed anymore, then similar versions appeared in the shop

Pinnie, I think you'd find it more important if you'd invested your own time, money and worry in building up a business. It suddenly becomes very important when someone tries to undermine all your hard work.

Im sure Gillian used to sell the burra bears before stealing the idea and doing her own ones.

Yeah I remember they did, they sold a lot of other peoples craft products too, which 1 by 1 seemed to be told they weren't needed anymore, then similar versions appeared in the shop

From everything I've seen it was Wendy Inkster who stopped supplying the Shetland Fudge shop, Mrs Ramsay sourced an alternative to a popular product that she was selling, yes it may be more or less the same as the original but how is sourcing an alternative supplier or even coming up with the alternative yourself anything other than good business practice.

I'm pretty sure shetland_boys wasn't the person who came up with garra rufa fish foot treatment he introduced something that was popular on the mainland to the isles and you can't accuse him of ripping someone else off. Supply and demand.

From what I can see the best thing for Gillian Ramsay to do was shut up, keep selling her bears and say no more about it. Let's not kid ourselves though Wendy Inkster has played a damn good game here, she involved the media and whipped up a lot of interest in her bears and that a competitor was trying to intimidate her which of course leads to sales for her and loss of sales for Gillian Ramsay.

Afraid I heard much the same this morning from a very reliable source but in a more straight forward way. The words "always been bad for copying people" were mentioned......

@ Pinnie, no worries and apologies if I came across a bit abrupt.

"By September 2006 demand had grown so much that Mrs Inkster was unable to supply bears to Mrs Ramsay’s Shetland Fudge Company and other shops in the run up to Christmas.

The following January Mrs Ramsay started selling her own teddy bears under the name The Shetland Teddy Bear Company."

So Mrs Ramsay starts selling her own teddy bears, basically stealing Mrs Inkster's Idea and design.. Sorry Mrs Ramsay, but I'm backing Mrs Inkster.

Im with Burra Bears, the origonail Shetland Teddy Bear, i think they are expencive for me. Would only do it if a had a jumper for the memorual purpose which is such a touching way to remember someone thats gone.

seems like its her idea which has been pinched.

I tryed puting Shetland Teddy Bears and both bear types came up, so whats the problem again?

leaving the other issues aside the domain name one is a bit of a question mark.

For example www.apple.co.uk is not owned by that company we either love or hate :) but by a UK company who do design animation and that sort of stuff. they registered the domain and they use it. So despite the company from across the pond desiring it they couldn't get it (and they have more lawyers than any of us could dream of !)

There is also the vexed question of the Yell domains, registered by some company who does something or other i forget...

However the island of Yell cannot it seems reclaim the domain as it is being used.

i believe perhaps wrongly that if its not being used ie just parked then things could be different as that could be called domain squatting.

This means that if this domain is not being used as such but just being redirected then I am not really sure how this would be seen. No doubt some lawyer would add considerably to his/her pension fund finding out.

Its all a bit sad really

I'm not questioning that this company is a great reflection on the Shetland community and I applaud everyone supporting Mrs. Inkster, I just don't like the "closing of ranks by Shetlanders" as this is only relevant if you are making a statement as to where Mrs. Ramsey is originally from (i.e. NOT Shetland)

If Mrs. Ramsey was a Shetlander the comment would make no sense and is therefore of no relevance.

Please be aware that to my knowledge it is many local people whether they hail from Shetland or not that are supporting Mrs. Inkster :-)

THIS.

Thank you Romeo.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2011/10/19/feud-what-feud-gillian-ramsay

:shock:

Dear o me, thats one hell of an attitude. Why is the race card being played here? As I've stated before and anyone I've spoken too its nothing to do with where the women is from, god, she's been here 20 year, any normal person is not that narrow minded!!

Its a bit like Neil Lennon people don't hate him because he's catholic, he's just an muckle sphincter! :wink: