Burra Bears?

Biglad

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

@Kavi Ugl

"Perhaps you should stay away from Shetlink if you can't understand Shetlandic? "

Is that a statement to everyone or just me? Do you have Norwegian DNA? are you a Viking?

"Your argument isn't even worth trying to address either..... "

What argument?

^^ You're missing the point completely. Norwegian and/or Viking whatever has nothing to do with anything. This is a Shetland Forum, Shetland is the default local tongue in Shetland, English is a foreign language. Shetland will be spoken to a greater or lesser degree on a Shetland Forum by definition of what it is.

If someone does not understand it, for whatever reason, be it that they are an incomer, outgoer, transient or just downright uninformed, asking and learning would be more productive all round than simply offering blanket criticism and dismissal of both message and method of delivery.

Yeh, I do have "viking" dna and even a family tree, but as GR says that has nothing to do with it!.

@ eventide: Your argument seemed to be that you couldn't understand Shetlandic and GR should stay away from a certain thread...

It just seemed a bit of a baffling and illogical "argument/statement" and was kinda unanswerable :lol:

so you have or believe you have norse dna. so what. most people who live in europe will have a smidgin of the stuff. after all that raping and pillaging over 3 hundred years is going to produce lots of decendents. being pround of your ancestry is a good thing when you start thinking it makes you special is sadly wrong.

maybe if your going to write in shetland then you could put a translation on the bottom for those who are not native born. unless its very rude of course in which case who needs loads of sausages.

what a good idea why not have a forum on the dilect and use it to educate us foriegners.

kavi claiming to be norse does that not make you a stranger to shetland as you should have celtic blood not norse to be native. just because your family were nastier than the locals does not mean that they become native.

I don't see why people should post a translation. If non-Shetland speakers don't understand they can a) take a look at the Shetland dictionary (book or website) or B) ask for clarification about what they don't understand.

What seems to currently happen is that they complain about the fact they don't understand. Would they do that during a 'real life' conversation, and tell people not to speak in their own tongue, or say it twice, once in shetland and once 'knapping'? I suspect not.

^^ Well I'll go to foot of our stairs. Flipping heck, is thas noss meant to be yon thread on furry creatures made outta sweaters or did I flit inter sum outer mongolian bullocks thread whereby thous all being marmalised and turned into wassocks? (Yellow Belly)

Luv a duck darlings, ain't this a thread like on teddies made from jumpers or did I move into some bleeding foreign bull***t thread where you all lost your marbles completely?

I'm English. I'm from Lincolnshire. I've lived in East London but stone a crow (For Pete's sake), even I've managed in the last two and a half years to read some Shetland lingo and yes, if I don't know, I ask.

"Kabbilabbi" - verbal fracas English equivalent? OFGS, it of French/Italian origin. :wink: