Burra Bears?

Biglad

Did I hear on the radio that the Shetland Fudge company had their windows smashed??

I hope that wasn't over this issue.

If thats true, then thats just sick!!!!!!! No business deserves to have their windows smashed in.

This is about 2 businesses that need to sort out their afairs privately, its nothing to do with where they were born, thats irrelevent!!

Cheers

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

@Kavi Ugl

My comment on not understanding written Shetland is in no way related to the second part of what I said.

I wouldn't suggest for a second that people stop writing in the Shetland dialect - this seems obvious it being a Shetland forum, all I said was that I didn't understand what Ghostrider was saying.

A guy mentions that he's done a bit of fishing in Aberdeenshire and you assume they 'obviously' haven't spent a winter in Shetland, that's a bit silly in the same way a suggesting that I should stay away from Shetlink if I don't understand 'Written' Shetland.

Are you the ultimate Shetlander? With your Viking DNA? I recently had my DNA properly tested for a Shetland study looking at the name 'Tulloch' I'm more than happy with the results, are you sure about your DNA?

Anyway smashing peoples windows over Teddy Bears is dumber than dumb, as has been mentioned before, smells like Xenophobia to me.

Guest Anonymous

@snurtmunchkin

"Whits Viking DNA got tae do wi bein a Shetlander?"

What's that your saying? I don't understand, only kidding :lol:

But yeah my point exactly, here' the results of my DNA sample

Your direct paternal lineage, your Tulloch lineage, appears to be Pictish in origin. It belongs to the S145 group and matches the Orcadian Tullochs at the small number of markers we have tested, and they in turn match the Pictish type at a large number of markers. This subgroup is only really found in Scotland, something like 7% of Scots belong to this group. It is not found on the continent and is very rare in England and Ireland. This is the signature of descent from the earliest peoples of Scotland in the Neolithic era, who in turn were the ancestors of the Picts. I don’t think that these Picts would have lived in Orkney and Shetland, it is more likely that in the 15th or even 14th century the first Tulloch, potentially Bishop Thomas de Tulloch, came to Orkney from Scotland and at some point a descendant moved to Shetland. His ancestors, apparently from Dingwall in Easter Ross, would have gone back to the local Picts and the Stone Age before. I have yet to sample a Tulloch from Easter Ross to confirm the connection and no data for men named Tulloch are available from open access internet resources. I do however have data on Tullochs from Orkney and you match them, thus showing that this is likely to be the original genetic signature of the Tullochs of the Northern Isles of Scotland and that there has been no non-paternity in the intervening generations. I believe it likely that the indigenous Orkney and Shetland Picts were wiped out by the Norsemen about the year AD 800.

About 4% of Orcadian men belong to this group, and probably something similar in Shetland, which is about half the frequency in most other parts of Scotland because of the large Norse component in the Northern Isles. You will also carry Norse blood, through your other Shetlandic ancestors, the women who married into the Tulloch male line over the generations.

Like I say I'm over the moon to have some real facts

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I always thought the Shetland dialect, or Shaetlan, is just that - a dialect, and not a language? It does, after all, share words with Scots and Doric, doesn't it? Or am I completely wrong?

If it is a dialect, I can't see how English would then be a "second language". A Gaelic speaker, or Welsh, or even Rom, might be able to make the claim, but it seems a stretch to apply in this instance.

(eventide, does this mean you're more a Shetlander than the "Vikings" round these parts? :wink: )