fireworks

onlyjim

Well..Honest truth what did you think of the long awaited display.

And on such a perfect night.

I'm afraid to say that i saw better throughout the town.

My verdict .. Disappointed.( putting it mildly) the only way we knew it was over was when some people (in the know) Started to clap

The reality really should be this.

Our town council spends over £5000 on the FREE firework show. When I interviewed the organiser about why they do this his answer was "If it saves a child getting injured at home then it is all worth it."

About 2,000 came to the show, no one got hurt.

Many more watched from the street and houses, so the cost per person is much less than £2.50. On top of that, several hundreds of pounds had been raised for the Mayors charities, as well as the donations from the stalls and mini fair ground that sets up.

I only witnessed one act of reckless behavior, an adult letting off a roman candle soon after the main display had ended.

In 2005 there were nearly four injuries at private parties at home for every one injury at a public display, 494 injuries to those under 17 and surprisingly (I wonder if drink had been taken, or adults are stupid) 491 to those over 17, eye injuries accounted for 285.

Water and fire fascinate human beens, also I have 9 buttons on my donkey jacket but I can only fascinate.

Yet again this forum does not surprise me! Please stop with the negative comments. These events r held together with the valuable input of volunteers, no body makes any money out of it!

If you think things could be improved why not volunteer on the night or even better help the committee by choosing to be an active member of the community rather than come along (watch the event) and then slag from the sideline!

Shetland would be worse off if we did not see community events like this taken place each year. Did you not see how many volunteers gave up their time to help collect or steward the event. Rather than b negative we should applaud their effort!

Well done to the organising committee.

Thousands of pounds up in smoke so not free for sure. Ask yourself who is paying for this to make it'free' for the spectator.

The only public funds are a donation from the Lerwick Community Council. The rest comes from local businesses and donations on the day from spectators. In recent years there has been a shortfall in funds raised locally so the fireworks crew (a voluntary body) has used funds raised from doing fireworks shows elsewhere.

The only public funds are a donation from the Lerwick Community Council. The rest comes from local businesses and donations on the day from spectators. In recent years there has been a shortfall in funds raised locally so the fireworks crew (a voluntary body) has used funds raised from doing fireworks shows elsewhere.

I'm glad you said that, as I was fairly sure that it wasn't funded by the SIC, but didn't have the facts.