Olympic torch in Shetland

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So the Olympic flame is to pass through Shetland on it's tour of the UK?..

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2011/11/07/olympic-torch-will-be-in-isles-next-summer

How's it getting here then? Is someone going to stand out on the deck o the north boat all night with it or is coming by plane?

If they were to get it by Aberdeen airports' security... It's no gettin past Sumburghs'! :?

Guest Anonymous

^^ Hey, You might have stumbled across the solution for the Northlink drydock shortfall and the inter island ferry problem there.

But you better hope for a headwind if you're planning on tying a great flaming torch to the back o that thing! :shock:

Aye, But yun eens kin barely de a lap o the playperk.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mibee da torchboys should have a word we the Olympic torch guys, get some tips and tricks. I would like my torch to make it around the whole procession this year rather than halfway the last 4 :lol:

Back on topic.

I think it's great :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Absolutely it's great.. Shetland and fire are a great combo.

Would I be right in saying- The last time we held a nationwide stage for celebration was when we held the northernmost beacon at the Millennium?

The time-scale does not really allow for the Olympic Flame to come on a ferry and I am sure that a flame would not be allowed on a scheduled flight so what are we getting. The product of someone's lighter at Sumburgh?. Have already heard someone admitting that if it goes out then they will re-light it but surely that is not then the real Olympic flame?.

• 5 months later...

Just discussed this in another forum. Seems the Olympic Flames (for they bring spares) travel on planes in something like a modern version of a miners lamp so it should reach Shetland without someone having to dig out a lighter at Sumburgh. Same if a torch goes out........a genuine Olympic Flame will be close by to re-light the torch.