Poker

shetlandppl

• 2 weeks later...
poker in scalloway is criminal tango, lady behind a bar dance with her boys together. i strongly advice not to play anywhere in shetland. go to aberdeen or edi to play normal game, not a shetland poker. otherwise you alwayes lose a money. if you have a lot go ahead and have a fun with them...

Nonsense.

Don't make up conspiracy theories because you lost your money. Vera the landlady gives the back room for the poker to be organised in and serves drinks, her involvement ends there.

It's played every Friday and Saturday starting 7:30 and 8pm respectively. Numbers dwindling so new players always welcome.

• 4 months later...

Just registered with Shetlink and came across this ...

What is the standard of play at The Kiln?

I'm a bit of a beginner - understand concepts like: hand-values and how they change in various positions, C-betting, trapping, semi-bluffing etc.

Though amn't good at calculating pot/implied odds (not so good at identifying people's ranges/putting them on hands, and subsequently, slow with the maths).

Play a bit online, but don't have much live experience - just home games.

Basically, I'm wondering would I get run over at these games or is it good for people at a more beginner's level too?

I also heard from a friend about a Shetland poker open? He mentioned a tournament which was hosted in October. If anyone could tell me details about that - buy in, pay-outs, structure, experience of field, attendance etc, that would be great!

Quite a lot to reply to here ... thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
Just registered with Shetlink and came across this ...

What is the standard of play at The Kiln?

I'm a bit of a beginner - understand concepts like: hand-values and how they change in various positions, C-betting, trapping, semi-bluffing etc.

Though amn't good at calculating pot/implied odds (not so good at identifying people's ranges/putting them on hands, and subsequently, slow with the maths).

Play a bit online, but don't have much live experience - just home games.

Basically, I'm wondering would I get run over at these games or is it good for people at a more beginner's level too?

I also heard from a friend about a Shetland poker open? He mentioned a tournament which was hosted in October. If anyone could tell me details about that - buy in, pay-outs, structure, experience of field, attendance etc, that would be great!

Quite a lot to reply to here ... thanks in advance.

Bit late to reply to this so I'm unsure if you'll still see it, or be interested, but I'll answer anyway.

The standard is fairly mixed - there are a few players who go every week as well as playing regularly online, and a couple of names regularly among the paying positions. However, there are also a few who are either quite new to the game or take it a lot less seriously.

I'd say you're unlikely to win anything at first, but the group are welcoming of enthusiastic beginners and will generally offer you a lot of advice. At £10-30 a game you won't be chucking money away if you were to go along and improve your game, and there's always a chance you'll win something whatever your level.

There are a few bigger tournaments they organise - it's usually a £50 buy in with no top ups or rebuys. I couldn't say when the next will be held.

• 1 year later...