No 2 minutes silence on SIBC (***mod edit - the silence was observed***)

Longdog

What do you think of the lack of 2 minute silence on SIBC today?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the lack of 2 minute silence on SIBC today?

• Very disrespectful...
    • What ever...

So did any of you notice SIBC played music for the duration of the 2 minute silence today?

I thought it was pretty out of order, but hey ho, a colleague was put out enough to ring and complain.

Any thoughts?

*** Mod edit ***

This claim was denied by SIBC and the denial verified by the moderation team. The silence was indeed observed and the ceremony was broadcast live from the War Memorial at the Hillhead. The only music that was broadcast was the Last Post played live at the Memorial as part of the ceremony.

*** Mod edit ends ***

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a good sign. Some of my family were in the forces during WWII, although they survived, they had to live through it.

Flicking through Shetlands Roll of Honour seeing all the faces, especially the civilians who died through enemy action it does seem a little out of order.

They should have had the 2 mins.

Guest Anonymous

Doesn't anyone think that it's a little insulting to the memory of those who died in previous wars to continue sending troops to unnecessary invasions?

Personally, I believe the mentality the 'poppy brigade' are building in this country is the same that allowed the systematic slaughter of a generation during WW1!!.. If you want to remember the ones that fell pointlessly and don't mind if it happens again, Go buy a red poppy. If you want to make a statement that war is wrong (lest we forget), Buy a White one!

I didn't observe the 2mins imposed rememberance today as I believe it's a false gesture.

I'm a little ashamed of myself because this morning I was intending to stop for the 2 minute silence but in the hub-ub of work forgot :(

I used to have a level of respect for SIBC when I thought about the work that they must put into it but I gave up after the continual and deliberate mis-pronouncing of names(i.e Hjaltland=Yatland??)and their unwillingness to use the name Shetland(everything is "local"), and lack of support for the Shetland dialect(allegedly they have a policy of not using the Shetland dialect).

I thought the money went to support those who have become victims. So we should snub the Legion? The donation to the charity is the important one, but has nothing to do with observing 2 minutes of reflection for the souls that were lost in both major wars of the 20th C. Are you saying we should not support the work of the legion because of policies of countries today.

Still, has nothing to do with showing a bit of respect to those who chose to join the armed forces and who have suffered through that choice.

You do not have to wear a symbol of any kind to show respect.

Doesn't anyone think that it's a little insulting to the memory of those who died in previous wars to continue sending troops to unnecessary invasions?

Personally, I believe the mentality the 'poppy brigade' are building in this country is the same that allowed the systematic slaughter of a generation during WW1!!.. If you want to remember the ones that fell pointlessly and don't mind if it happens again, Go buy a red poppy. If you want to make a statement that war is wrong (lest we forget), Buy a White one!

I didn't observe the 2mins imposed rememberance today as I believe it's a false gesture.

“unnecessary invasionsâ€

War is a political question and has nothing to do with the armed services, who have risk there lives.

And there were a lot of idiots back in 1940 ( Most Liberals just as today) who had the same view as you. And would have kissed Hitler’s butt when he walked down Whitehall oh!

And all who have posted on Shetlink (Who did not preach Mein Kampf or toe the party line) would have been sent to Auschwitz concentration camp if not shot on sight.

So you have the freedom to post on your views because other died to give you that freedom.

As for the Iraqi War if the UN had done the job right in 1990-91 we would have not needed to go back a second time.

"war is wrong" As history has proved over the years fighting back is the only option that is left somtimes.

Ive been trying to explain to some folks on facebook. the poppy is the symbol of human sacrifice and rememberance. it is not a symbol of war. its not a political tool to be used by either the extreme right or the redical islamic factions. trying to explain to a slightly rightwinger that 150,000 indians and parkistanis died in the wars was like talking to a brick wall. the poppy was part of the hope after the great war for it never to happen again.

wear a poppy for those of your family that never had a chance to see there families again. wear it for the father who never saw their children grow up. wear it to show that they have not been forgotten.

its a shame that the sibc missed their chance to show some respect.

A quick google list quite a few commercial ones who did both UK and USA.

We turned SIBC of when we realised they were going to play music as 11 am came, if they'd stayed silent over the 2 minutes they'd have still been on for the end of it, so they lost around 9 listeners for their adverts there and then.