No 2 minutes silence on SIBC (***mod edit - the silence was observed***)

Longdog

What do you think of the lack of 2 minute silence on SIBC today?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the lack of 2 minute silence on SIBC today?

• Very disrespectful...
    • What ever...

At last, wondered how long it would take before some sense.

Oh! and as a wee side thought how many of you girners switched off your mobile phones? I did

i forgot to turn of my phone but anyone who knows me well enough knows not to try contact me at this time. I always make sure I do the two minute silence, I even did it for the minute yesterday before england played. I am very proud to have my poppy on the front of my car and to wear my poppy. I would never force anyone to wear a poppy as its personal choice and i dont see it as being offensive if someone does not wear one as they may remember in their own way. I do however find it offensive when people talk or shout during a silence, not just for poppy appeal but for anything. That angers me.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=SIBC_Shetland

So NOT a case of "no 2 min silence" .. just observed annually for 24 years on Remembrance Sunday.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Ian and Inga for the 24/7 service (with very little thanks) that they provide for Shetland

Oh well, fair do's then but why not have it on the 11/11 like the majority of other people and when most SIBC listeners will hear it?.

I'm afraid I never have been and never will be a follower of "twitter".

24 years of broadcasting is a genuinely commendable record but as mentioned in my first post there are just too many infuriating nuances for my liking :(

One final example is when he gives the fish landings. Why can't he just say x boxes were landed by Shetland boats and x boxes were landed by scottish boats?.

“The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of thousands is a matter of statisticsâ€. (Joseph Stalin in a conversation with Churchill).

That is why we should remember - to make damn sure that world leaders know that we won’t forget.

Its the leaders doing most of the high profile 'remembering', they're on telly in their best clobber and harassing FIFA to put poppies on football kit. They don't seem to be 'remembering' to not send people off to war (for whatever reason in the future) or remembering the political reasons for past wars. They're just remembering people died and forgetting the 'why'.

Just ask yourself this one question.. What did these people die for?.. Was it to keep us from the tyranny of the Nazi empire? Was it to ensure and preserve Imperial dominance? Or do you think maybe they simply had no choice?

Whatever the reason. We've not only learned nothing from the futility of sending thousands to their death but we are abusing their memory by pretending we care in our annual ceremony!

Well put.

Maybe we should just keep the memory of those who died for us (the wars against tyranny) and who died for government/business (the "war on terror") in our hearts and minds all year round, then there should not be such an issue, surely?

And, for the record, nothing will stop me buying and wearing a red poppy, in remembrance of my friends and relatives, no matter what war or conflict they lost their lives in. It's not there to glorify their deaths, or promote further conflict. It's there to provide support and assistance to the ex-servicemen and their families, in lieu of (be ashamed!) government provided assistance.

I have stood in those fields, accompanying my father and grandfather, visiting the grave of my grandfather's father. Anyone who has been there cannot help but be affected by the sense of loss. That's what I remember, and what I honour. Anyone who has a problem with that, tough.

@Paulb

"the poppy was part of the hope after the great war for it never to happen again." Almost 100 years on and they're still calling it the 'Great' war.. That's the mentality that supports future conflict.

You should have heard a loud whooshing noise over your head as you typed that.......

:wink:

Personally, I couldn't care less if someone doesn't observe the two minutes silence, as long as they have the good grace not to interfere or cause annoyance to those who do.

Regarding poppies, unfortunately it has become to some a political statement/device as opposed to a device for remembering the fallen and raising dosh for those who suffered. White poppies are nothing more than a sideshow for those who feel that to wear a red poppy implies support for war and armed aggression . Pretty blinkered and somewhat silly view IMO, but that's what happens in a free country.

I've got broad shoulders, ain't gonna burst into tears over it.

But I agree with a lot of NorthernXposures sentiments -especially the notion that if people thought a bit more about it on more than one occasion, we might actually not end up with as many dead people.

For me, the poppy represents a mark of respect for all those killed in conflict on both 'sides', let's not forget that 'the enemy' generally think they are as righteous as we do in any given conflict. They don't all sit around plotting 'evil' deeds all day.

Ive been trying to explain to some folks on facebook. the poppy is the symbol of human sacrifice and rememberance. it is not a symbol of war. its not a political tool to be used by either the extreme right or the redical islamic factions.

Here Here paulb

Well pointed out it's a pity our political elite cant grasp that.

For me, the poppy represents a mark of respect for all those killed in conflict on both 'sides', let's not forget that 'the enemy' generally think they are as righteous as we do in any given conflict. They don't all sit around plotting 'evil' deeds all day.

Yes, lets have a deserved mark of respect for the soldiers who gave their lives going to war with the willing and knowing intent to fight against the nationalistic, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-semitic, totalitarian, fascist, racist, murderers of Nazi Germany and an equally deserved mark of respect for the nationalistic, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-semitic, totalitarian, fascist, racist, soldiers who died, that willingly and enthusiastically went to war with the intent to fight as a part of and for Nazi Gemany.

The tragedy of Nazis killed in war must be remembered. Lets have a minutes silence for Fred West too, a human being who died before he naturally should have.

Lets turn the park they built into a memorial for him and the others who died in Cromwell st. "A mark of respect for all those killed....on both 'sides'"