No 2 minutes silence on SIBC (***mod edit - the silence was observed***)

Longdog

What do you think of the lack of 2 minute silence on SIBC today?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the lack of 2 minute silence on SIBC today?

• Very disrespectful...
    • What ever...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be very few people around now that can remember anyone involved in WW1 and the number of folk that can relate to WW2 is shrinking massively. Is it therefore not about time to remember it as history now, perhaps continue to teach what was learned but give up on the two minutes silence. It's too long gone now.

Personally, when I'm standing on the hillhead tomorrow morning I will be thinking of all who have given their lives in all conflicts.

I will continue to remember the fallen heroes until such time as there is an end to conflict (which is unlikely).

i think its good to have the 2 minutes silence. A wee time to pause and reflect. I also wear a poppy as a rememberance not to glorify war.

Totally agree with this but can't fathom out the need as to why people need to log on to 'Slaglink' to try and drum up more utter nonsense about other people!!

So what if SIBC didn't observe the 2 minutes silence or did they? Nobody seems to be able confirm this. Surely thats their right, how many other people throughout Shetland not to mention the UK did exactly the same, should we all be sad enough in our own little lives to start a poll about them?

:shock: Bloody pathetic!

So what if SIBC didn't observe the 2 minutes silence or did they? Nobody seems to be able confirm this.

No they didn't observe it. Oddly enough, that is what the thread is about. They didn't talk, they played instrumental music as it says earlier in the thread.

As to why ask what people think, well to see what people think, it is a discussion forum after all. Though if you feel the need to slag people off you can do that too :wink:

So what if SIBC didn't observe the 2 minutes silence or did they? Nobody seems to be able confirm this.

No they didn't observe it. Oddly enough, that is what the thread is about. They didn't talk, they played instrumental music as it says earlier in the thread.

As to why ask what people think, well to see what people think, it is a discussion forum after all. Though if you feel the need to slag people off you can do that too :wink:

So why do you think it was 'out of order'? Maybe they don't have the same view as you or maybe they clean forgot! Why does it bother you anyway that you feel you need to start a 'poll' ? :shock:

Maybe I'm being shortsighted here or maybe its me bad week, I just dunna get it!

Biglad,

Erm... there is nothing to get really. Pretty straight forward wondering as to what people thought, as the people who were with me were not impressed.

Why a poll? Again, just out of interest. Often people will vote, but not post a comment; many people won't post their views on here. Many people will not give a damn and just ignore the thread.

Why am I offended? I'm not really offended I just think it was pretty out of order. A couple of minutes along with the rest of the country (many businesses and broadcasters) for people to reflect together on wars in the world and friends/family lost or injured is not bad thing really.

Put it down to idle wonderment and leave it at that....

As somebody who has been brought up with stories and tales from the wars I feel very strongly about remembering and paying respect to all the men who fought for our country past and present. I will wear my poppy with pride and hold my head high and think and remember all the men who have fought, lost their lives and all their families.

2 minutes of instrumental music?

If that is the case then that's probably because they are not in a position to be able to switch off the silence detection at the transmitter site.

So rather than after 30 seconds have a random piece of music kick in, a suitable piece of 2 minute instrumental has been played instead.

I work in commercial radio. We did follow the silence yesterday and will do again tomorrow. We are in the same position, can't switch off the silence detection system so we use atmos noise, down the line from London. Iain maybe felt instrumental music was better than a howling wind noise in Lerwick.

Fair play to Iain if this is the case.

Guest Anonymous
As somebody who has been brought up with stories and tales from the wars I feel very strongly about remembering and paying respect to all the men who fought for our country past and present. I will wear my poppy with pride and hold my head high and think and remember all the men who have fought, lost their lives and all their families.

And then probably not give them a second thought for the rest of the year..

If they had a remembrance Sunday every Sunday, There may be no need for them eventually!

Just ask yourself this one question.. What did these people die for?.. Was it to keep us from the tyranny of the Nazi empire? Was it to ensure and preserve Imperial dominance? Or do you think maybe they simply had no choice?

Whatever the reason. We've not only learned nothing from the futility of sending thousands to their death but we are abusing their memory by pretending we care in our annual ceremony!