• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

... And do what with the old one?

Sell it to a competitor? Unlikely

Knock it down and build on the site? Unlikely

Sell it to a local business on the proviso that it doesn't compete with Tesco? Unlikely.

Donate the building to a local community committee for development as a 'drop in centre'? Hmm.. I'd be very surprised.

The same old problem exists for Tesco as it did for Safeway.. That you can't get cheap petrol to Shetland, as (what is now Northlink) can't carry petrol tankers on board alongside Calor tankers, and GB oils fix the base cost of shipping with them.

All the big supermarket chain are known for owning huge areas of land near their stores and where they may want a store. I bumped into someone in the pub when I was at a meeting who was amaze that Tesco even had a store in Shetland, he had read int somewhere.

They could have one store but two sites, they do sell many other products that are not on sale in their Lerwick branch. Hmm, beds and petrol.

Any truth in latest story that------

Keep the boldface type in view with this though

The same old problem exists for Tesco as it did for Safeway.. That you can't get cheap petrol to Shetland, as (what is now Northlink) can't carry petrol tankers on board alongside Calor tankers, and GB oils fix the base cost of shipping with them.

However, as a longer term investment, Tesco *might* see some sense in constructing a storage tank someplace, large enough to allow them to charter in a full boat load at the time. If they sold the stuff only minimally cheaper than all the other town stations, they'd clean up on most of the trade, and shift a boat load in not all that long a time.

The key would be getting a suitable site and permission for a small shop (selling grub box basic, milk, fags, etc) to make it the one-stop people naturally go for when heading to or from work. Chances are they would just buy-out one or more of the existing places.

If you factor in the effect their incentive schemes (clubcard points etc) can have it would be hard to resist, not to mention many people already begrudge the existing suppliers regardless of why the price is as it is.

... And do what with the old one?

Sell it to a competitor? Unlikely

Sell it tae da Cooncil fur aboot £10million? Highly likely.

I tought dat dir wis a story a while back dat Tesco wir opening a store on da street - dan noo we hear dat Leasks on da Esplande is closin; concidence?

Sadly, Tesco seem to be the kind of organisation that will lick every last £ out of a place if they can so it wouldn't surprise me to see them try something else.

The news about J. Leask & Son is so sad and it's another part of Lerwick's(and Shetland's) history gone and a big part of the esplanade's character lost.

The future is, FlyTesco....

It would be interesting to think that Tesco could make island life affordable and thus entice more folk to live there. They would have the means.

But I think they may not go to the expense of bringing up a tanker at a time, the surcharge for that may be high, then there will be the moments when the tanker cannot be delivered because of the weather, and then Tesco will have run out of fuel.

Well done to the OP, a simple rumour posted, perhaps more gib?

Brings out the bridge dwellers.

Sadly, Tesco seem to be the kind of organisation that will lick every last £ out of a place if they can so it wouldn't surprise me to see them try something else.

The news about J. Leask & Son is so sad and it's another part of Lerwick's(and Shetland's) history gone and a big part of the esplanade's character lost.

The future is, FlyTesco....

You are right J Leask & Son has for some time been operating as a 'living museum of the way tavel used to be arranged'. I am surprised they held out for so long. Telegrams, Telephone Girls, Travel Agents, Newspapers, books... shops with things in them !

I wouldn't be at all surprised at Tescos doing something skullduggerous...

When I lived in the SouthEast of England a Sainsburys decided it wanted to open a petrol station right next to a smaller petrol station that sold the cheapest fuel and was open 24 hours... After Tescos put them out of business by selling much cheaper fuel and opening 24hr - not only did they put the prices back up once the competitor closed but also stopped offering 24hr fuel!

Damn silly people didn't stop using the Tescos fuel station though... It was a momentary blipp in people's consciousness, a little outrage, then back to the humdrum.