island trade unions/30 November strike

Quarffie

hi, as station PCS rep I believe it is highly unlikely any (Shetland) Coastguards will be actually striking on November the 30th however they may take 'action short of a strike', i.e. provide safety cover and emergency response, we will issue a press statement a few days beforehand.

If possible help please - I'm also hoping to find out which trade unions represent whom on the island, and ideally how to contact them.

thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, so there's going to be a strike? Apart from having the old rubbish collected (And that's on a Monday anyway), will anyone (Namely those without sprogs) outside the town notice? :wink:

Might be if you want a ferry?

No ferry no fixing of telecoms, power lines and perhaps more ?

why would they be effected by a public sector strike. even the public sector workers are not going to stop emergency services. the care centres will run the hospital will run the fire and ambulance services will respond to your needs. why because the public sector workers have pride in there service to you. shame that the goverment don't share this pride.

maybe it won't but they just can't except the way the goverment both blue and red have been treating them.

If we assume that A Buchan and his Team now virtually run Shetland, I would be very careful about any stupid and harmful action at tjis time.

All one has to remember is that the SIC is heavily overstaffed by about 15%, so why not make this the main reason for any planned action and try to protect these people now and not disrupt peoples lives for some future so-called problem, by blindly following some edict from Trade Union Bosses down South and in Shetland? :(

Merry Christmas....

Oh, so there's going to be a strike? Apart from having the old rubbish collected (And that's on a Monday anyway), will anyone (Namely those without sprogs) outside the town notice? :wink:

Might be if you want a ferry?

No ferry no fixing of telecoms, power lines and perhaps more ?

why would they be effected by a public sector strike. even the public sector workers are not going to stop emergency services. the care centres will run the hospital will run the fire and ambulance services will respond to your needs. why because the public sector workers have pride in there service to you. shame that the goverment don't share this pride.

Since when did the two servoces I mentioned become an 'emergency service' ?

Unions are the only way some public sector workers can have a voice.

They can only go as far as complaining to their line managers, or if not happy there one or two levels beyond. They cannot contact their councillors, that is against the rules as there is a due process.

As far as the ConDemNation is concerned, there is no other way. The proposal at the 11th hour then the threat of forcing terms on folk if they do not comply is unfair. To remove the right to take action would not be too short of slavery, if you look up the meaning of the word. Forced to work or suffer penalties.

Many folk with long term illnesses rely on the high standard of care given to them, especially in Shetland where it is far better than anywhere else. The staff are second to none, in my opinion. If you keep hammering the staff, they will give up, and the level of professionalism will drop as the job will not attract those who want to do the job but are forced to do it.