The Tree of Life

Islandsun

Eagerly awaited, bitterly disappointed! Possibly the most pretentious rubbish that I have ever sat through. How could so many actors of such ability shoot themselves in the foot by appearing in this. Brad Pitt has the distinction of having been in my favourite film of all time (Fight Club) and this twaddle!

• 3 weeks later...
Eagerly awaited, bitterly disappointed! Possibly the most pretentious rubbish that I have ever sat through. How could so many actors of such ability shoot themselves in the foot by appearing in this. Brad Pitt has the distinction of having been in my favourite film of all time (Fight Club) and this twaddle!

Totaly agree with you there, i was south and i payed a fortune to get tickets and all the crap they insist you buy before you go in, to find even with all the big names in it the biggest heep of boring crap i've ever seen in my life.

i realy hope that arty lot here dont think we want this kind of boring stuff in WIR new cinema

i realy hope that arty lot here dont think we want this kind of boring stuff in WIR new cinema

That is a terrible, insular attitude sadly rather common in Shetland. Just because you didn't enjoy something doesn't mean others won't. It would be a travesty if films like this didn't get a chance in Mareel. I happened to find Tree of Life to be warm and philosophical. The opening 20-minute Creation sequence is one of the most beautifully crafted and inspiring pieces of cinema, that I personally have seen. This is all my opinion, of course, but I am quite confident others would share my view.

Remember, at the time of their release, films like Disney's Snow White & the Seven Dwarves, A Clockwork Orange, Citizen Kane and The Matrix were slated by some or many. How times change.

Is that "WIR cinema" as in "for those that have the same taste as me"?

I hope that Mareel has a wide variety of movies - blockbusters, foreign, arthouse, etc. Surely "WIR cinema" is for "aa o' wis"!

Is that "WIR cinema" as in "for those that have the same taste as me"?

I hope that Mareel has a wide variety of movies - blockbusters, foreign, arthouse, etc. Surely "WIR cinema" is for "aa o' wis"!

Well said, soljey! :D

your afual totchy? anilising every word... looks like your alowed an opinion and i'm not? this we have seen on shetlink from the very first post on the new building, anyone with an opinion that may be critical in anyway towards the cinema/music venue gets shouted down.

we are all alowed to have an opinion

Of course you have a valid opinion.

But this has nothing to do with Mareel. You said you don't want films like "Tree of Life" in your cinema. That was you putting your opinion over those of others. I don't particuarly like the Twilight films, but I would never suggest they shouldn't be shown in cinemas.

Also, as far as Mareel goes: People got touchy about it because some, vocal Shetlanders p*ssed and moaned about it, tried to hinder or even stop it, instead of accepting it and trying to help make the very best of it, as would've been the sensible thing to do. Many people were boo-hooing it without even knowing the operating plan!! Something like Mareel, with the full community support, can only boost the community and Shetland(ers) as a whole.

I would also like to point out that constructive criticism was always, to my knowledge, fully taken on-board and worked on as much as possible. I have no recollection of anyone, on any platform being shouted down over Mareel. Jonathan Wills certainly wasn't anytime he was banging his drum.

It has always struck me as odd that Shetland is ok to be the most provided for community, per head of population, in the Uk in terms of leisure centres, but one cinema/music venue is too much. Please. Is it any wonder so many young people, like myself, are chosing to leave permanently.

£12.2 million spent so far and a hell of a lot more yet to be spent on lawyers etc before the final bill is realised.

fixed price is only fixed if no changes are made to the original contract and changes have been a plenty.

gibbons is a buffoon and i suspect he will depart these shores pretty sharpish once the carry on really gets going

I loved Tree of Life. In particular the cinematography was stunning and beautifully shot. On balance it was perhaps a bit too austere and slow paced for many - I can see why people would be disappointed if they were expecting something more inkeeping with the casts' previous films.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed it and believe, after receiving mixed reviews on release, it will retrospectively be viewed as a masterpiece!

I am very much looking forward to seeing such ambitious and experimental films as part of Mareel's programming.

this we have seen on shetlink from the very first post on the new building, anyone with an opinion that may be critical in anyway towards the cinema/music venue gets shouted down.

My opinion is quite to the contrary. I think the people behind Mareel have had to put up with some horrendous abuse on Shetlink and in the local media over the past few years, but have dealt with it admirably.

We don't have to look far for an example....

gibbons is a buffoon and i suspect he will depart these shores pretty sharpish once the carry on really gets going

:roll:

I loved Tree of Life. In particular the cinematography was stunning and beautifully shot. On balance it was perhaps a bit too austere and slow paced for many - I can see why people would be disappointed if they were expecting something more inkeeping with the casts' previous films.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed it and believe, after receiving mixed reviews on release, it will retrospectively be viewed as a masterpiece!

I am very much looking forward to seeing such ambitious and experimental films as part of Mareel's programming.

this we have seen on shetlink from the very first post on the new building, anyone with an opinion that may be critical in anyway towards the cinema/music venue gets shouted down.

My opinion is quite to the contrary. I think the people behind Mareel have had to put up with some horrendous abuse on Shetlink and in the local media over the past few years, but have dealt with it admirably.

We don't have to look far for an example....

:roll:

My opinion aligns 100% with yours, grift.

fixed price is only fixed if no changes are made to the original contract and changes have been a plenty.

Costs can go down as well as up, why do you assume all changes mean an increase in cost?

By the way is your last name Tinkler?