Winter Tyres

what_are_u_like

Hi folks,

Getting that time of year again and considering whether to get proper winter tyres or just go for all weather ones. If I go for the former I was just proposing to do front wheels only but willing to hear what you think. Seems there is differing opinions on this one.

To throw in to the mix is advantages of getting separate rims for the car so it is a easy job to switch them over. I am guessing if I am going for winter tyres then I am going to end up storing the types anyway so rims are not going to add to space required!

Views welcome.

PS Sorry mods if this has been covered before but the search function ain't working

Guest Anonymous

There's a lot of factors to be considered here. Type of vehicle, Driving style, etc.. I used to use intermediates all round. But then I have a rear wheel drive. With a bit of weight in the boot she was great in the snow.

Whatever you decide. Make sure you inform your insurance company, It's classed as a modification and they might not pay out if you prang it and there's 'non spec' tyres on.

Thanks folks, it is a peerie new car and will be mainly main road driving but a few side roads. Being new it will have a new set of summer tyres on it already. So putting on all weather seems a bit of a waste, although guess I could try and sell originals and recoup some money.

Seems a fair bit on the net warning against just putting winter tyres on front. In past I have mainly just coped with all weather but my other half is less confident in snow and will have to travel for work.

I used to be a tyre fitter. I would highly recommend putting all-weather tyres on the driving wheels at least. Ask where you get them fitted but if they are quality tyres (Michelin, Pirelli, Vredestein etc) they should be suitable for all weathers. Keep your summer tyres for summer.(all 3 weeks o it!).

Most of the advice on the internet seems to regard motorway driving and a peerie fliss o sna. I always put mine on the driving wheels and the only time the snow has posed a problem is if its too deep!

I have a set of winter tyres on steel rims that go on when the temperature is regularly below 7 degrees c. Car is a lot better in the snow with them on and even in the frosty days where they bite a bit better.

Whatever you decide. Make sure you inform your insurance company, It's classed as a modification and they might not pay out if you prang it and there's 'non spec' tyres on.

Long as the tyre is the correct size and speed rating it isn't a modification. Even if the tyre isn't the same size as standard as long as it meets the manufacturers specifications an insurance company would be hard pushed to refuse to pay out when pushed on it.

I would say notify them you've put winter tyres on but if they try to ask for more money tell them they're at it.

I would say notify them you've put winter tyres on but if they try to ask for more money tell them they're at it.

How come that any insurance company could ever have the idea of charging more for winter tyres which should rather be considered as a safety-plus?

I am used to the other way round: if there is snow and you don't have proper winter tyres fitted the insurance might not pay in case of an accident (additionally you might get fined by the police for not using suitable tyres). The annual premium for insurance is the same as long as you have tyres according to the manufacturers advice fitted.

I am just shopping around for car insurance in UK which I will need soon (none of them so far asked about the sort of tyres)... but haven't found one yet which is a cheap as my German one (annual premium for comprehensive cover including third party, fire and theft is € 161 at present).

^Unfortunately some of the insurance companies in the UK saw a chance to make a quick buck taking the piss out of sensible motorists who actually tried to make their journeys safer. The most that my insurance company ask is that I notify them I have winter tyres, they don't give me a discount for having a safer vehicle but they don't charge me for a modification either. When you search for insurance ask the company if they charge extra for you putting on winter tyres most are coming round and saying they won't but I have heard of a few that still do look for an additional payment.